Silver ad - Buyer Beware??

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya,

Everyone's been talking about how nice craigslist has been I thought I would check it out for myself in my tiny michigan. Found one that is very unusual. guy has buillion, rolls of mercs, rosies, engelhard bars and he's selling it for 140 dollars! Hmm, and he takes only cash, you have to drive there to pick it up, though he will meet you at a bank or market. This sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about that. But check out craigslist under michigan and give me your two cents. And if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind a burly bodygaurd to go check this out. LOL <j/k>

Smiles (and since no one loves my hugs anymore =( ) and Lots of silver for everyone,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he's legit, have him meet you at a police station. Bring cash.

I like this idea.. Also bring the necessary tools to better clarify that they are actually silver.. You should be fine with the mercs and rosies but beware of the bullion..

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had good experiences while buying/selling coins on craigslist..Like always use your judgement, see what he says after you say you would like to meet somewhere well lit in the public and then act accordingly. Did the auction have pictures? I think there is a lot of people selling on craigslist that just don't really know the value of their items and or they inherit there relatives collection and want it sold fast and think that a couple hundred is more than enough profit. CL is funny like that, you either get really great deals or people that are WAY over valuing their "collectables". Good luck!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigslist has been great. Ebay and Paypal, well they are crooks.

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the number of rolls of Mercs and Rosies i would buy it and run!! and if the bullion is real its a bonus. just found the ad and he is selling 1 roll of Mercs for 140 Rosies 125 and so on.not all for 140. if it's the same ad.

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Do what my Dad does when we go on Craigslist runs. OC and bring a bottle of acid to test any rounds and a pocket scale

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally carry concealed, I would be a little affronted if you rolled up to my house packing heat to buy my washer and dryer set. I usually try to make big purchases at a bank, gun shop (if buying guns) or police department. If they are unwilling to meet you there, then just walk away.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The $140 dollar that was the right ad. Now that I look at it. I wondered why he put 140 in the tag line. I mean I noticed the prices by each one. I double checked the price of the rolls he had against coinflation and I would be overpaying by about 10-20 dollars for each roll. he wanted 37 dollars for an engelhard ounce. That's a 5 dollar markup from spot price today. But Mt. Pleasant where he says he is, is too far for me to drive, especially taking care of my mom. Just found out she has pneumonia (sp?). Personally I would pay someone that I trusted to go down there and check out the coins for me, splitting the share 50/50. But that's just me.

But I rather do craigslist over ebay or paypal anyday. If ebay changed their fees from paypal to something else, I might go back. But I am still pretty steamed that paypal took over half of my funds for 'withdrawal' fees. What a crock and not the first time I have heard of this either.

Smiles and silver for everyone,
Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread