CRH code of ethics?

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all the posts that implore CRHers to do X or not do X, regarding dumping, tellers, etc., it seems like there could be some brief "code of ethics" for coin roll hunters, giving the three or four things a good-citizen CRHer should do. It would obviously be voluntary and of no meaning to abusers or willful scoundrels, like many such honorary codes, but it would at least spell out what few basic things are generally agreed by many good people of the CRH community (whic seems to have a certain supportiveness and cohesiveness even if people practice the hobby independently) to be good for CRHers, the banks they need to use, and the continuation of the hobby.

If this has already been suggested or such a code already exists, my apologies. I think it would be really interesting and useful to see those few most-important tenets in one place, for newbies and veterans alike.

I know there could be lots of this included in this voluntary code of ethics, but do any of the experienced CRHers (or thoughtful newbies) have thoughts on what few things should be in the top 5?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I meant "I know there could be lots of THINGS included in this voluntary code of ethics..."

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Most important - Say please and thank you.
Do unto others... keep teller perspectives in mind.
Never mention the 's' word, unless they do first and you want to make a friend.
Don't get angry at anyone over coins, it never pays off. The bank always has the final word.
Never dump where you buy, especially if you bought those coins from that bank. Occasionally I dump to fill the bag & buy. That only works if I followed the things I just said and made friends.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The first rule of fight club...." applies here too. Don't tell people about the hobby! Let them come to it on their own, so that they don't dilute your chances.

OP
OP
D

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FormerTeller said:
And learn to use the "edit" button :wink:

Can't find this on the TN iPad app, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't tell more than you need to. Tellers OR customers.

Don't try to order in volume if you don't have a relationship and have an agreement first.

Don't dump more than about a grand per bank per week depending on the situation.

Don't s*** where you eat.

Be incredibly courteous, and know when you've worn out your welcome- the argument "I have a right to get my money in coins whenever I want" has absolutely no weight.

Be prepared for disappointments/being screwed over by banks and just accept it. They provide a service, and you're using it to your advantage. You are not their priority, and they can always cut you off.

Try to keep this as cash-only as possible. Multiple withdrawls/deposits draws attention to you and you could get shut down.

Don't paint/vandalize coins more than necessary. I mark a few coins per box, and those are already damaged/painted. Just to see if they come back. Painting, IMO, is a big no-no.

Don't buy other CRHer's coins. A bank I buy from sells a bag of pennies to another CRHer. I always leave a bag of pennies.

OP
OP
D

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilmingtonsilver said:
"The first rule of fight club...." applies here too. Don't tell people about the hobby! Let them come to it on their own, so that they don't dilute your chances.

I understand this common feeling, but given the effort involved in CRHing, and how absurd of a waste of time many outsiders view it, do reasonable people think there's really a risk that telling someone you do this will eventually attract throngs of new CRHers who actually stick with the hobby? In a way, I feel like it might be telling people that you dumpster-dive all weekend. I understand that having even one more person order halves from your bank could impact you, but dang, there's effort and expense here that should effectively separate the dabblers from the real hobbyists. Rigid secrecy feels a little silly. I have the loose sense that 99.5 percent of people, presented with the idea of CRH and given even exaggerated reports of its profit returns, would say "It's nice that enjoy spending your time doing that." The other .5 percent is probably on this forum.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand this common feeling, but given the effort involved in CRHing, and how absurd of a waste of time many outsiders view it, do reasonable people think there's really a risk that telling someone you do this will eventually attract throngs of new CRHers who actually stick with the hobby? In a way, I feel like it might be telling people that you dumpster-dive all weekend. I understand that having even one more person order halves from your bank could impact you, but dang, there's effort and expense here that should effectively separate the dabblers from the real hobbyists. Rigid secrecy feels a little silly. I have the loose sense that 99.5 percent of people, presented with the idea of CRH and given even exaggerated reports of its profit returns, would say "It's nice that enjoy spending your time doing that." The other .5 percent is probably on this forum.

You just started. I just started a few months back. Look at how many new people are on here(You can tell by post count). We got the bug from somewhere. Call me a CDC representative, but I don't want anyone else to get my bug.

OP
OP
D

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just started. I just started a few months back. Look at how many new people are on here(You can tell by post count). We got the bug from somewhere. Call me a CDC representative, but I don't want anyone else to get my bug.

I've been CRHing on and off since 1982, but I see what you're saying. Still, giving the tiny fraction of people who will pursue this hobby, and the vast amount of minted currency floating around the U.S., I tend to think that the difference between enforcing Fight-Club secrecy and taking out a string of prime-time TV commercials and full-page newspaper ads promoting the hobby probably wouldn't amount to a statistical blip in the amount of wild silver being culled or the amount of "unsearched" (meaning continually mixed) currency being available. But I could be wrong. Just my sense given the math we're likely dealing with here.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've been CRHing on and off since 1982, but I see what you're saying. Still, giving the tiny fraction of people who will pursue this hobby, and the vast amount of minted currency floating around the U.S., I tend to think that the difference between enforcing Fight-Club secrecy and taking out a string of prime-time TV commercials and full-page newspaper ads promoting the hobby probably wouldn't amount to a statistical blip in the amount of wild silver being culled or the amount of "unsearched" (meaning continually mixed) currency being available. But I could be wrong. Just my sense given the math we're likely dealing with here.

Totally depends on location. In rural areas if there are more than a couple CRHs in the area it will quickly dilute the finds and lead to frustration. You can end up being your own worst enemy if you promote it too much. Just posting on this forum could be considered counter-productive to maximizing your finds...but I still enjoy doing it! :tongue3:

Maine_Jim

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most folks lack tenacity.

Tenacity is rewarded with this hobby.

I have several "seeking" hobbies - including edible mushroom - agates - arrowheads - pet. wood ( our state gem) - crystals - and now, since April, SILVER!

I can only see this graduating to metal detecting, or full blown cashe hunting.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

I don't know how many banks you have access to but I have lost track of how many banks I used to find silver but now can not due to tellers who now collect but didn't before. In almost every occasion thay learned from someone else . When ever I come across a teller who collects I ask them how they learned and the reason I most often get is either how a collector asked , dumped or flat out told them. As I used to say b4 when I was on this forum more often it is simple math. The more people that know the less we will find. And it is almost impossible to compete with tellers.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
Most folks lack tenacity.

Tenacity is rewarded with this hobby.

I have several "seeking" hobbies - including edible mushroom - agates - arrowheads - pet. wood ( our state gem) - crystals - and now, since April, SILVER!

I can only see this graduating to metal detecting, or full blown cashe hunting.

A lot of Metal detectorists are graduating to CRH!

chuckie

Nov 12, 2012
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Garret Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the code of ethics, I've found that the branches I pick up and drop off are a lot more receptive if every once in a while I leave them a box of candy or cookies. Yeah, this may not be considered necessary but I can tell you that they remember me and treat me extra-special!

BTW, I've been a coin collector for 50+ years and was CRHing in the late 60's. The bucks I made from silver then helped me pay for college. Today I look through $50 in cents a week just for fun but have found indians, steels and a lot of wheaties.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
there is none.... for me atleast

+1.

If I may add, if a teller is nice, be nice back. 4/5 are not nice, if they are rude call them out, and even if you are not a member, threaten to close your account.

Dont forget, if you ask if the teller has any halves or whatever you are looking for, and they do not ask the tellers beside them, you need to speak up, and tell them to check with the other tellers.

If they ever ask why you dump all these coins, tell them you play (poker, blackjack).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread