Christmas Came Early, First Huge Score and The Adventure I Experienced!! :)

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been doing this for a few months now, mainly buying coins on eBay and such and flipping them to make a little profit (I don't always sell the numismatic value coins), I have really enjoyed it but was looking for a way to maximize silver and profit..I figured the only way is to buy low, sell high mentality but how would this be possible? I stumbled across this forum and felt right at home, my kind of people are here and I started to read, read and read some more..I finally had enough courage to go try and do this myself. Went to a Sun-trust walked in with my 100 dollar bill in my shaky hand and Immediately the teller asks me "how can I help you sir" I asked the teller if she had any half's..she kindly responded with "Yes, I cant give these things away I swear I had them forever!! How much would you like, I have 300 dollars worth on hand.." I only had the hundred and since I was new to all of this I just decided I'd test the water at this bank with just 100..she passed me the coins I walked out of there like I owned the place..Mind you, all of this is done on my lunch break (so I had to do this quickly), I get back into the car stay parked and start searching through the rolls like a kid on Christmas morning..skunk....skunk...skunk and more skunk..No silver, no errors and no proofs..I was a little discouraged, you know that hot feeling in your head you get before your about to fight someone (adrenaline) yeah I felt that, although I think it was more because of the anticipation of the what if could be inside and then the reality shortly after..The HIGH and then the low!! LOL..So I say "better luck next time, that's just the way it goes", plus reading the forums I realized that finding nothing was VERY COMMON..A few weeks pass, I get paid again and decide to try out that same sun-trust to see if some of the tellers other half's contain that magical silver smell and silver clink sound..to maximize my efforts I buy 140 dollars worth, she was again very happy and remembered me from last time..Walked out with a smile and right back to the car i went..Frantically I began searching through the rolls, same exact paper was used so I wasn't too upbeat about it but I wanted to do this so if there wasn't any silver I could take this off my bank map..1975, 1971, 1971 too many 1971's to tell the truth, It was like a cosmic joke lol kind of like when you get a 1965 quarter, SO CLOSEEE!! Skunk, all of them skunk, I then knew that this tellers hoard was either submitted by a fellow dumper or she was taking all the spoils for herself and selling off the skunked rolls to get some sort of personal satisfaction knowing that they were clads..Two more weeks go by things were tight so I didn't have the free cash to continue but the whole time I thought to myself, "as sooon as I get paid I'm hitting up a different bank..

So I Got paid yesterday, CHA CHING (im back in the game hoorahh!!), back on my lunch break once again I decided a new plan of action instead of blindly showing up at banks and wasting precious gas..I went to google maps and printed out a list of banks that was all close to my workplace (within 3 miles or so), phone numbers are included on each entry, parked at the suntrust once again sat in my car and started dialing the banks one by one.."Have any half dollars?" "No sir im sorry, our main branch may tho", "Sorry we just don't keep a lot of coin at our location", "Nope we don't have any at this time"...I was begining to think they weren't even looking and just telling me no to save their self the time lol..I started to think "well you may as well just buy up the suntrusts ladies last hoard maybe it was all a fluke, maybe that last 100 dollars is where the silver is hiding!" But my gut and logic said "no stay focused, you already tried that, that will only lead to disappointment)...So i kept calling instead, around the 5th call a nice lady picked up, I then began my famous charity speech, "I was just wondering if you guys have any half-dollars?!" she goes "Let me check for you sir one second"...a few moments go by, she gets back on the phone and says "yes sir we do, we have 110 dollars worth", I said "great, I'll be there in like 5-10 minutes"..On my way I notice that a Wells Fargo is near where googlemaps was leading me and I needed to get some cash out of the atm and I hate ATM fees, I took 200 dollars out and noticed something funny..My balance was almost 100 dollars lower than its suppose to be not counting the 200 I just took out..I logged into my online banking and looked at my recent charges, I immediately see some joker technology company from san francisco charged me 85 dollars for no reason, I never even heard of this company before nor have I ever gone to the website..With that being said I was heated, I thought to myself, "well why dont I just go into wells fargo and get this taken care of, I can always go CRH later, this is more important..", I contimplate that thought for a second and say "well its only 85 dollars I can handle that later today..", So I unclenched my hand off of the door handle and sat back in my seat, put my seat belt on and fired up the old car to head down to that bank I called (its been about 7-8 minutes)..I get to the bank, bingo "google maps actually works flawlessly" I thought to myself, padded my pocket to make sure my money was in there and I walk in there with my head held alittle higher and more confident (although weary about that mystery charge)..I walk up to the teller area and the lady there says "how can I help you?", I said "oh im the guy that called a little while ago about the half dollars", she replied "oh yeah 110 dollars right?", "Yes mam"..She starts staking up the rolls one by one on the bank counter, I take out 6 of my crispy 20's and I slide it her way..she counts it and I say "It looks like im cleaning you out here!" she smiles and says "yeah you are, thats all of them! Would you like a brown bag for these?" I say "sure that would be great"..She bags them up and I immediately stroll out like a cop eager to get into his squad car to eat his donuts..The bag she gave me resembled one they would give you at a liquor store, I thought that was kind of funny, it also weighed a lot more than I imagined (felt heavier than the other times I bought rolls)..I decided I would drive back to my Wells Fargo bank that way after I open all of the rolls I can go into my bank and dispute that weird charge on my account..

I park in a nice spot away from all of the other cars lock my door and start peeking through the paper rolls, the first roll end revealed a 1967, i said "NO WAYY!!!" The coin behind that was a 1965, I completely get exited to the point where It was too much lol, the coin behind the 65 was a 1968 and all the coins following where from 1965 to 1969, the whole roll, SOLID SILVER and here I had 10 more rolls to go through..I frantically grabbed the next roll out of the big brown bag, opened that bad boy up, A 1968 right there and to follow up with that 68 a whole roll of silver..I started to fantasize, "this whole bag is probably filled with customer wrapped rolls of silver no wayy!!"...the excitement was too much I needed some fresh air, I put the 40 coins back in its roll's, placed them nicely back in the brown bag, crumpled the bag and placed it under my seat..I then started walking into Wells Fargo in a happy drunken stupor (or so i thought)..I walk, I grab a complimentary cup of water (since my nerves were crazy) and the teller had me meet up with the special banker to dispute that weird charge to my bank account, she was nice and we decided to close my account just in case so they can dispute and investigate the mystery 85 dollar charge..I leave, look at the time, shoot 5 minutes till I need to go back to work..I get back in the car and at that point I start driving, the 85 dollar charge stops bothering me pretty much right away because even if i don't get my money back from the mystery charge, I know that the first roll of half's pays for it..That was a nice secure thought..I get back to work and time stands still, knowing I may possibly have a full bag of silver made the day completely drag to say the least, I couldn't wait to go home..4 hours pass and I head into the car and go on home, I get home, carry the bag as if it's my newborn son and enter the house..I begin to tell my girlfriend about my two roll score and she got really excited (shes starting to get why i'm doing what i'm doing and likes it now), I say "hey help me unwrap these rolls!!" So we start opening them up and she begins to read the dates, 1965, 1969 etc..I say "SWEEETT!!"..the first roll I pick was all clad..I say "Yup all clad, SKUNK roll"...I pick up another, meanwhile in the background my girlfriend is chanting on 1965-1969 dates, this roll is all silver too!! I then pick up another roll that was almost a full skunk, had one silver coin in it though.. Yet again following that skunks tail, another solid silver roll after that and then another after that...I ROBBED THE BANK FOLKS!!

In the end as I gazed at the empty 11 coin wrappers, out of the $110 dollars of half dollars I purchased, 11 rolls of coins, 8 rolls were solid silver, 3 rolls were clad.

Initial Investment: $110.00

Coin totals:154 ($77.00 face) Silver 40% Kennedy Half dollars and 66 ($33.00 face) or three rolls and 6 loose half's of clads..

Profit: Silver value for 154 40% Half Dollars at the current price of $32.20 (November 2012) is $733.37 (22.7756 Troy ounces) plus my clads = $766.37!!!

I'm officially a believer and this is should be inspirational, not only knowing that hard work pays off but knowing when you should follow your gut instinct on things and also not letting yourself get down about the small things (the mystery charge)..If you let that cloud you, you may miss some awesome opportunities and like everyone says, persistence is key!! Money can be found everywhere, ironically even at a bank in your own backyard. Thanks and I hope you enjoy the photo's, I tried my best to capture these coins in their true beauty..3 of the half dollars were particularly interesting (as you see in the pics), one with very pretty rainbow-ish toning and the other looks to be a greased filled die on the number 6 and one that looks to be a proof possibly (although dirty)..Along with some pretty mint looking halfs. What a fun adventure, this will be what I will be chasing after from the times to come, that high, the discovery and treasure and the what if's and wonders that can only be answered by going back out and trying again!! Without risk there no reward!!

Thanks again for reading!! PS: I brought a 1969 mint looking half to put in my pocket today while im at work just so I know this wasn't all a dream, it feels good in there! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

IMG_20121115_200156.jpg IMG_20121115_200208.jpg IMG_20121115_200218.jpg IMG_20121115_200229.jpg IMG_20121115_200236.jpg IMG_20121115_200441.jpg IMG_20121115_200456.jpg IMG_20121115_200802.jpg IMG_20121115_201737.jpg IMG_20121115_201854.jpg IMG_20121115_201908.jpg IMG_20121115_201923.jpg IMG_20121115_202030.jpg IMG_20121115_202042.jpg IMG_20121115_202110.jpg IMG_20121115_202406.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exquisite find, good sir! Welcome to the jackpot club, and here's to many more great finds. If you'll excuse me, I think I need my dentist, because that sweet find just gave me cavities!

I appreciate your detail and time spent on your story, thanks for the silver piXXX!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginners luck is always the best. Don't let future disappointment get you down.

Keep on Hunting.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score, story & pics! As the holidays approach, we will start to see more collection dumps as people try to (foolishly) get cash for gifts, etc. Everybody get out there & get yours!!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And before TallGuyBry gets to read this !!YAHTZEE!!

:laughing7: Sorry Bry, I couldn't help myself.

JeffG

May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Score! Congrats and hope you have another hit like this again soon.

Good luck,

Jeff

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the "incredibly long, had to go to the bathroom in the middle of reading your post" club! Oh yeah, nice find!

Haha thanks Rushfan

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah well score on that silvershooter, no 1964's for me!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. Thanks for the silver p0rn. I couldn't bring myself to reading the wall of text. I'll check in later to read before going to bed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread