Jackpot!!! IV: Walking Ben and Ken to the Barber (Silver piXXX inside)

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a haircut today:
ycxdIh.jpg
I found this 1898 Barber half while searching through the second to last roll of $250 in string and sons (yellow roll). It was the sole coin found from the batch, and was actually an ender on the bottom side of a roll I had already unraveled :BangHead:(I would have taken a pic if I was not rushing through opening up the rolls). The coin is very worn, but is my first barber half and oldest CRH find (beat out this 1899 Hong Kong dime I found about a month back)

After searching those halves, I went on a drive for customer wrapped coins from banks around my home in the affluent burbs. I tapped right into the silver vein around here again and this is what I came up with:
ouKud.jpg
v2bKVh.jpg
bB3PS.jpg
Thats right... you know you would salivate if you got this from a teller... Here's a little background...

Went right up to the teller (who happend to be a beautiful blonde ditzy type) and immediately asked for half dollar coins. She says "I actually just got these in from a customer." I see a teller tray full of Walkers, Bens, and JFKs and my heart drops and I put on my poker face, as not to attract attention to all the silver I am about to get at face. She goes on to pull out ten dollars in loose silver halves, 4 rolls of very dingy old half dollar rolls which were taped in clear medical tape, and one dime roll that looked similar to the dime roll found in my first jackpot.

Here is what that roll of dimes produced:
mUJaih.jpg
14 silver dimes (Rosies and Mercs)

And half dollar roll #1 gave me:
9d1RVh.jpg

half dollar roll # 2:
eakWYh.jpg

half dollar roll # 3:
fh3EFh.jpg

half dollar roll # 4 was the icing on the cake:
2ypNkh.jpg
7a4tvh.jpg
CoXjJh.jpg
sold.roll.of.bens!

Total:
50- 90% half dollars (Walkers, Bens, JFK, Barber)
12- 40% half dollars
14- 90% silver dimes (Rosies and Mercs)

20.8722 troy oz of silver (not including my weekly totals)

I know there has been a lot of skepticism about legitimacy of people's finds on here, so I figured I would take pics with my handle on a piece of paper with my finds to show that I am the real deal. I know that doesn't prove much, but seriously, who would go through the trouble of doing this that doesn't have a real find to show?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
That is definitely a very nice score. Ya just gotta love those solid rolls of 90%ers.
"It's out there for the finding. You just have to be patient and a bit lucky."
Congrats, Weaselbrott, on a great find.
rileyboy and Riley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread