ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its time for me to purchase a loupe, and I doubt I have to look any further than my CRH buddies for a few good suggestions. I'm not a big "error hunter" so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on one. It will mainly be used to search for doubled die errors on the coins I already possess and any I obtain/find in the future. All suggestions would be appreciated!

What has lead to this is that I recently purchased 4 rolls of silver quarters sight unseen for a pretty good price. I would like to search them for the DDOs that exist just to make sure that I don't toss a coin worth more than melt into the "junk" silver pile. I had already made a pretty good purchase, but near the bottom of the first roll I opened it got even better. Out popped a 1932-S that after consulting the PCGS Photograde Online website, I believe would grade a solid XF40.

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local jewelry store, when I just happened to mention that I metal detect and need a good loupe, opened a drawer pulled out a jewelers loupe and gave it to me. They had a drawer full of them.
I've used it for many years now.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Just search eBay and find some cheap ones from China.

30 x 21mm Glass Jeweler Loupe Eye Magnifier Magnifying | eBay

30x 21mm Jeweler Loupe Glass Eye Magnifying Magnifier | eBay

Of course the power just depends on preference. There are some people I know that use minimal power loupes (3-10x) and others that only use higher powered ones (15-30x)

And, yes, the ones you get from China on eBay are exactly like the stuff you'd be getting from Whitman/Lighthouse

For example,

Whitman 10X Magnifier With LED Light - Other - Coin Magnifiers and Loupes - Coin Tools - Wizard Coin Supply

Is pretty much a branded version of the eBay one only selling for several times the cost of the generic one!

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine. Two for under 5 bucks... one for home, one for work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C9N9OM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353376315&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I would recommend one with a light source. I frequent many auctions per week and the lighting can be horrible. Having an LED light integrated in the magnifier is very helpful.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the suggestions. I did not intend for this to be a, "Will you please google/ebay this for me" type post. I had already looked on ebay and saw the cheap Chinese loupes as well as some of the more expensive models. I was just hoping someone had some experience with what I had seen and could point me in the right direction, or more importantly steer me away from any particular model that was complete garbage. I should have stated that. My apologies.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a basic 20X jewelers loupe for varieties and a basic 10x loupe for grading. Light sources are always a challenge, I use my phones built in LED flashlight if I need more light.

Old_Festus

Apr 28, 2013
south eastern PA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in the same boat...so to speak.

I want to pick up a hobbyist quality jewelers loupe but don't want to pick up a piece of junk either. They are cheap enough on ebay etc.

It looks like getting one with a light source is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I want to take it with me in the field, when I'm out panning the creeks.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this one:
Amazon.com: SE Illuminated Loupe with LED Light - 20X: Jewelry

It sure has met my limited needs.

It's an Amazon "add on" so you need to spend $25 to add this on to your order - which never seems to be an issue (dog food, razors, phone accessories, work pants/shoes etc) becuase you can find some very good deals for items you use daily!

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a triplet 10x and that's it. Anything more, and the magnification will be too high and the image too large. They are around $5 to $10 bucks.

If you're checking gemstones or jewelry, then I suggest a loupe with a black casing to offset any reflection. If you need any back lighting, and are looking at loose gems for example, you can use a pen light and flash it from underneath the object. And if you don't mind spending for quality, then I suggest getting a Belomo Triplet 10X.

Also, be sure to google information for properly using a loupe. A good majority of people don't know how to use one correctly, and getting it right makes all of the difference in the world. It's also the first thing a dealer will look at (if you're in a field of trade) to size you up accordingly.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You need a triplet 10x and that's it. Anything more, and the magnification will be too high and the image too large. They are around $5 to $10 bucks.

If you're checking gemstones or jewelry, then I suggest a loupe with a black casing to offset any reflection. If you need any back lighting, and are looking at loose gems for example, you can use a pen light and flash it from underneath the object. And if you don't mind spending for quality, then I suggest getting a Belomo Triplet 10X.

Also, be sure to google information for properly using a loupe. A good majority of people don't know how to use one correctly, and getting it right makes all of the difference in the world. It's also the first thing a dealer will look at (if you're in a field of trade) to size you up accordingly.

Great information here. I recently bought a triplet 10x, as well as a lighted 30x and 60x (that second hole is REEAALLLLL small!), but I've had a heck of a time figuring out how to use the 10x. Both cost me $10 (each); a little high, but I bought them from my LCS, and didn't mind giving him the business.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've purchased just about every style of loupe available. I stopped looking when I found the hands free jewelry loupe on eye glass frame. These are awesome. I have several pair of them now. They have an LED light for illumination. They are adjustable. I would suggest buying a 10x loupe first. You can buy a single eye or a dual eye. Both have advantages. Then buy the 20x loupe. Here's an example of the 10x dual. If you're just doing a few coins at a time, you might as well buy the single:

New 10x Hand Free Dual Illuminated Loupe on Eye Glass Frame MG1312S US Seller | eBay

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a jeweler's 10X tied to my right eyeglass lens for roll searching. any odd anomaly gets the lighted 30X to confirm <<<<AND>>>> most important--- eliminate PMD. amazing how an "error" can just be a damaged coin. study error-ref.com to learn what's real and how it happens. on Ebay just check for US only shippers closest to you --- most all are made in China.

10 pack of batteries LR927 cost about $2--- youze gonna need 'em:laughing9:

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself, I made a stand to hold my cellphone camera steady over the object/coin and using flash take a closeup. You can then enlarge the photo further on screen and see tremendous detail. Yep. I'm too cheap to buy anything else when I have this available...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread