New could use some advice

C

cptango

Been browsing the forums for a while now. Sounds like a hobby I can do with my ten year old so I figured I would give it a shot.

Walked into the bank today and asked for 10 rolls of dimes and 5 rolls of halves. Teller went to the vault came back and completed the transaction. Didnt notice till I got home though all of the halves were rolled from the mint (says US Mint on the white and blue wrapper) and the outside says 2001 kennedy halves. Does that happen often? They are all pretty much just good for face right I shouldnt even open them? How can I get older rolls?

Didnt find any pre65s on the dimes either. I want to keep trying but maybe I am going about it wrong? Any advice is appreciated.

Best Regards

Charles

Upvote 0

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
are the 2001 Halves P or D mint?

If P, they are ONLY available from the mint. DO NOT OPEN! sell as a complete unopened roll. They where worth alot before the mint released them last year. (It used to be the only way to get a 2001 P was to buy a mint set from the mint) but now you can either buy the mint set, or buy rolls/bags from the mint for MORE than face value.

Dimes.... keep searching, but do not return the rolls to the same bank branch you are getting rolls to search from....... you end up searching the same rolls over and over.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cptango

Thank you so much for the advice!

I Just looked and they are Ps. Guess I will go back to the same branch Monday and see if they have any more? How much more than face value would you guess they are worth? Sorry for all the questions I have only been a coin collector for two days now

Thanks again

Charles

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
The $10 roll is worth about $17-$20 in it's current state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread