maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I'm craving Skittles for some reason.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank god they weren't grinding them down.. :tongue3:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
::wrinkles her nose:; absolutely disgusting. I hope they were at least silver. Time to get the paint thinner out.

sincerely,
Garoulady

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
GarouLady said:
::wrinkles her nose:; absolutely disgusting. I hope they were at least silver. Time to get the paint thinner out.

sincerely,
Garoulady

I wish!!! I'd be 100% happy with painted silver!!! Unfortunately they are just pieces of CRH Pop Art!

Maybe I'll make an art piece using all the marked coins I find (I'm a professional by day and artist by night). Might be kind of unique huh?! Hmmmmm....

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I've been getting several hundred of the green ones a week. I'm trying to clean them when I get em.

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OmegaMan said:
I've been getting several hundred of the green ones a week. I'm trying to clean them when I get em.

Not a bad idea...get the paint out of the system!

The good news with the box I found them in...I found almost as many silvers!!! Just goes to show you can hunt mark and return all you want but it's still out there!!!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Maybe I'll make an art piece using all the marked coins I find (I'm a professional by day and artist by night). Might be kind of unique huh?! Hmmmmm....

I've had an urge recently to drill holes in my clad halves and sew them to a leather coat - making a kind of ringmail. I could do the same with my 40% halves and make mithril chain!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got no time to clean coins, I'd rather search more! I just got one of those pink ones today

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've gotten some of the green one's that someone cleaned. lol I was wondering who would bother cleaning them.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if throwing them into a bucket with paint thinner would work? Let them sit for a couple of hours, give them a shake now and again, like a nasty margarita drink. Probably in a few days of letting them sit they will be clean with no elbow grease required.

Just my two halves,
Garoulady

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
GarouLady said:
I wonder if throwing them into a bucket with paint thinner would work? Let them sit for a couple of hours, give them a shake now and again, like a nasty margarita drink. Probably in a few days of letting them sit they will be clean with no elbow grease required.

Just my two halves,
Garoulady

Though about it but it was quicker just taking them back to the bank:-). Got another 4 boxes this Wednesday to search...looking to cash in to buy my wife something real nice for Xmas!!!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Just my two halves,
Garoulady

That's one way, the other way is to use a tumbler. Once you have one, just put in the halves, set a timer for 7 hours (enough to clean most spraypainted halves) and take them out. It's that simple.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one way, the other way is to use a tumbler. Once you have one, just put in the halves, set a timer for 7 hours (enough to clean most spraypainted halves) and take them out. It's that simple.

Neither way should be used if you are looking at providing another hunter with some type of numismatic find.

ACETONE is the only chemical that will remove the paint and not hurt the coin providing the coin is not already damaged from the painting. Not Nail Polish remover either, straight Acetone in a well ventilated area <(read outside)>.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread