Spotted something in the tellers tray yesterday

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was dropping off some half dollars yesterday afternoon. It was at the same bank a few weeks ago that I saw a Silver Eagle in the tellers tray but she would not sell it to me. She was planning on giving it to her daughter. Yesterday at the same bank a different teller was cashing out my coin counter ticket an I spied a large silver dollar in his coin tray. He handed me my cash and I handed him a dollar bill and asked if I coin have that dollar coin in his tray. He replied "certainly"
So I snagged this nice 99.9%er.

IMAG0396-1.jpg

Based on the way the coin is tarnished it looks like the same coin the other teller had a few weeks ago but I have no way of knowing if it is or not. Hopefully if is a different one and there is some type of lunatic depositing them as dollars at this branch every so often. That would be nice but I am not going to hold my breath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet find. I have yet to see anything even close to that in my teller's trays. I try to sneak a peek and all I see is sacs and susans. I am wondering how to I ask for the older dollar coins without tipping off the tellers to what I am looking for. Do I tell them I am looking for American eagles, leaving out the silver part? Or do I ask for any coin pre 1990's and run the risk of getting a bucketload of Ike dollars?

Just wondering.
Garoulady

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
A bucket of Ikes is no risk! If you dont want them, just use them as you would use cash, or use them in exchange for the boxes you order!

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to get a bucket of Ikes, worst case scenario you spend them and confuse random people who think its not real money, is made of silver, is foreign money, or is worth any denomination BUT 1 dollar.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to get a bucket of Ikes, worst case scenario you spend them and confuse random people who think its not real money, is made of silver, is foreign money, or is worth any denomination BUT 1 dollar.

haha..Ive been doing that with 2 dollar bills lately..I get bored

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I always carry a bunch of $2 bills when I go Garage Sale Hunting. That, dollar coins, and Halfs are great.

Yep, I've made money going to garage sales with Ikes! I bought some headphones for my MD and paid in Ikes and they ended up buying $7 worth for $8.50, the headphones were only $1 so ended up making 50 cents. And to think I'm sure they thought they were ripping off this poor, clueless young man :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I've made money going to garage sales with Ikes! I bought some headphones for my MD and paid in Ikes and they ended up buying $7 worth for $8.50, the headphones were only $1 so ended up making 50 cents. And to think I'm sure they thought they were ripping off this poor, clueless young man :laughing7:

I believe it, I see people on the Auctions sites selling them all the time, and not just listing them, but Selling them.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find. I have yet to see anything even close to that in my teller's trays. I try to sneak a peek and all I see is sacs and susans. I am wondering how to I ask for the older dollar coins without tipping off the tellers to what I am looking for. Do I tell them I am looking for American eagles, leaving out the silver part? Or do I ask for any coin pre 1990's and run the risk of getting a bucketload of Ike dollars?

Just wondering.
Garoulady

I find it is just easy to ask if they have the Ike dollars and hold my hands up making a big circle. Most times the tellers will tell me that they only have the "gold" dollars, but occasionally they will have the Ikes. Either way, forming a big circle with my hands clues almost every teller into I am just looking for the Ikes.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just wondering.
Garoulady

American Eagles are mostly post 1990. They were first minted in 1986 so most of them have been minted since 1990. I honestly would ask for the old large silver dollars. I would bet that there are more Morgan dollars in circulation as compared to Eagles. American Eagles are not really suppose to be in circulation they are pure silver bullion coins for investment purposes. Only a nut case takes one and buy a candy bar with it or deposits it at the bank for face value of 1 dollar.

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just wondering.
Garoulady
Ask for large dollar coins and say you use them for poker night along with halves quarters dimes and pennies for chips!

HH Michael

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread