Pick up Bank Refers Me to Treasury for Half Boxes...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called one of my pickup banks the other day to order some half boxes and the lazy teller tells me that they can no longer order halves for me, and that I have to order from the Treasury now. WTH??? Looks like they just became my newest dump bank. I'm not sure, but maybe someone got ticked when they pulled up my account and saw that I had deposited about $250,000 in coin over the last 18 months and was trying to order some more coin from them. :) I know we aren't supposed to dump into the same system that we pickup at, but some of my best boxes came from them. I'll have to try another branch...

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would then ask if they can direct you how to get in touch with them. How awesome would it be if you were actually able to order from the treasury? lol.. Who knows what you would find..

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there, was told that... the same bank ordered halves for me next visit, you just got a lazy, dumb teller.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
And now you know WHY you are not supposed to dump in the same bank as you pick up.

"maybe someone got ticked when they pulled up my account and saw that I had deposited about $250,000 in coin over the last 18 months and was trying to order some more coin from them. I know we aren't supposed to dump into the same system that we pickup at, but some of my best boxes came from them. I'll have to try another branch..."

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dump at same branch I pick up from. I have designated dump branches & pickup branches. (It's B of A, by the way)

Like I said, I have found 3 great boxes from them (88 keepers, and 2 boxes each w/ 40+). They take my bag dumps, too. I would be crazy NOT to order boxes from them.

I use them as a dump bank as revenge because they refused to modify my home loan (ya, I know - I signed on the dotted line). But no one would ever buy a home if they thought it would lose half it's value. Thank you investors & poverty level people who have no business buying a home.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I do that too. I use Northwestern bank which is a local michigan bank. I pick up at a small branch in my town then drive 20 miles to the nearest city and dump at their main office. But I do small orders, less than 500 dollars at the moment. I think if I did halves here in michigan I would be in trouble dumping those. I had enough trouble the one time I got just one 500 dollar of halves. So I am sticking to normal denominations for the time being.

Hugs,
Garoulady

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Garoulady, where are you located? Michigan is not the best for halves. You can find them but not that often.

Dimes can be hit or miss as well. My best dime box was 10 in one box.

HAppy hunting

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sag. it's not the problem of finding halves. I have gotten a box of them before, it's the matter of depositing them. I have been to just about every bank and credit union and unless you have an account, they won't even sell you a roll of coins. I went to one bank and asked if they had a couple rolls of halves, they said nope. I asked them if they had some loose ones and they said yes but I had to have an account with them to buy them. Eeessh! So if anyone wants to go through the hassle of doing halves up here, come on up. I plan on sticking with the common denominations, dimes and nickels. I don't know how the quarters up here but they cost 500 bucks a box and rumors have it that people have searched thousands of dollars before finding their first quarter. Now if only the snow would stop. ::huffs:: they are calling for 6 inches. Don't mind the snow, just hate the wind because it makes the house bloody cold.

Sincerely, Garoulady

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan is great for halves. It doesn't take a lot of effort to find dump banks and banks that will sell without an account. You may have to expand your territory but only if you are serious about finding silver. I find silver quarters every other time I search a box or buy customer-rolled. If you want dimes, you should find about one silver per $150 or better, as that has been my average for the last five years. Good luck.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sag. it's not the problem of finding halves. I have gotten a box of them before, it's the matter of depositing them. I have been to just about every bank and credit union and unless you have an account, they won't even sell you a roll of coins. I went to one bank and asked if they had a couple rolls of halves, they said nope. I asked them if they had some loose ones and they said yes but I had to have an account with them to buy them. Eeessh! So if anyone wants to go through the hassle of doing halves up here, come on up. I plan on sticking with the common denominations, dimes and nickels. I don't know how the quarters up here but they cost 500 bucks a box and rumors have it that people have searched thousands of dollars before finding their first quarter. Now if only the snow would stop. ::huffs:: they are calling for 6 inches. Don't mind the snow, just hate the wind because it makes the house bloody cold.

Sincerely, Garoulady

10 Day Weather Forecast for Traverse City - weather.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread