Newest Coinstar machine Factoid - War Nickels

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched a young gentleman putting money in the coinstar. After a while I took his slip and cashed it out, I asked him if he had any coins that he wanted to turn in that the coinstar didn't take. He said he just had a nickel dated 1945. I asked to see if and it was a war nickel. I told him that I was going to give him a quick history lesson. I told him that it was a war nickel, that it was 35% silver and that 5 cent bit of metal was worth at the moment it was worth $1.60. Yeah I know I will get flack from the hardcore CRHers but I was paying off my karma for the 6 war nickels I found in the last box.

But I now know that coinstar counters won't accept war nickels. That is so cool!! I knew it didn't take quarters, halves and such but I had always thought that the percentage in nickels was so low that the coinstar would take them. What a neat little factoid I learned. Yeah!!

On the sidenote, I plan on getting 3 boxes of nickels, which will put my total nickel hunting budget to about 500 bucks. I can't wait. I plan on picking up my boxes on thursday and I will take them into my dump bank back on friday. I got 12 nickels. I have about 2 weeks to find 28 more war nickels. Talk about a deadline, LOL.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying real hard to give you positive comments lately. Posts like this just make me shake my head. He didn't care for a lesson, and you lost out on your nickle. Plus, he is going to go to an LCS expecting $1.60 and they are going to see a sucker and give him a quarter, and he will take it thinking that you were crazy. Next time, just take your nickle and be happy that you are getting closer to your goal. Sigh

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are the same weight - I am unsure if the C-* machine rejects them all the time. Plus, I have never found one, and I search dozens a week. Only dimes, quarters, and foreign coin.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
They are the same weight - I am unsure if the C-* machine rejects them all the time. Plus, I have never found one, and I search dozens a week. Only dimes, quarters, and foreign coin.

I think they usually don't. I have found many silvers from a Coinstar, but never a war nickel. That particular one may have been rejected due to wear.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, a little history never hurt anyone. I am almost positive that this history lesson will not cause the depletion of all the war nickles out there. Now if every CRH individual never ever finds another war nickle in thier entire life time then you can blame it on Garoulady.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
::Laughs:: I have been having very good luck with war nickels. I think its the fact that the CRHers in the area, if any, don't search nickels. I mean my last box, ::bows to the almighty and the coin gods:: blessed me with 6 war nickels and buffs. But for the coinstar, the nickel wasn't different at all in wear from anything else. And wilmington, I do sincerely appreciate the feedback, all is not lost on me. I did channel my inner greedy, paranoid CRHer self and got 2 pre-1964 quarters from a group of teenagers two weeks ago. They had put it through 6 times and finally I couldn't help myself and told them I would give them 2 quarters that would go through the machine. They switched with me and instead of keeping the quarters, they put the quarters in teh coinstar.

I really wanted to go coinhunting today. But all the banks are closed and it just started to snow. Its the first day of my 1 1/2 week vacation and ugh! I'm just sitting on my butt for one day. thursday I get my three boxes of nickels and take my best freind out for her birthday lunch, take mom christmas shopping (::major shudder:: ) so hopefully I will be able to do some coinhunting that day. Then I will go in on friday to dump 500 dollars of nickel at my dump bank. I would ask any CRHer in Traverse City Michigan what good places to hunt for rolled coinage but I know I would get shot down quickly so nevermind. I will leave all the halves and dime hunting to the heavy hitters in the area.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I probably could have bought it off him for a dollar but I didn't have another associate there to witness it. I have gotten verbal warnings about reaching into my pocket for money to swap out for other coins. I guess they think after being a cashier there for 16 years I would throw it all away for stealing. Naugh...

But I might pick up a box of nickels sooner than I thought. My mom wants to go shopping and I am thinking I might stop at a couple of banks and see what they got. Who knows, we'll see what the weather brings.

See ya,
Garoulady

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
That ain't right, you do all that stuff for that company, invest in their 401k, and never steal a cent in your life, work there for 16 years, and they do this to you!?!?!??!??! A verbal warning for swapping change, what a despicable, disgusting, manager, if I were you i'd try to get him/her fired. I look through, swap out, and exchange change all them time (I work around a cash register occasionally), and the management/fellow workers do not even care, and even save change for me.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would throw half-dollar rolls at my managers if they tried giving me crap for picking silver out of my register.
Seriously, that would piss me off.

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably could have bought it off him for a dollar but I didn't have another associate there to witness it. I have gotten verbal warnings about reaching into my pocket for money to swap out for other coins. I guess they think after being a cashier there for 16 years I would throw it all away for stealing. Naugh...

But I might pick up a box of nickels sooner than I thought. My mom wants to go shopping and I am thinking I might stop at a couple of banks and see what they got. Who knows, we'll see what the weather brings.

See ya,
Garoulady

All we have to do is have a witness at my grocery store. It is nice to be a cashier!

HH Michael

thersonly_1

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2012
Do you guys really walk up to coin star machines checking the tray? That reminds me of the old days while I was at arcades waking up to pinball machines trying to find rejected coins so I could play cause my parents wouldn't spare a quarter lol

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys really walk up to coin star machines checking the tray? That reminds me of the old days while I was at arcades waking up to pinball machines trying to find rejected coins so I could play cause my parents wouldn't spare a quarter lol

I do it to EVERY one I walk by, My Fiancee hates it, but who cares. I find a couple silvers a month in them, its been more steady than my detecting lately ???

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check the Coinstar tray every time I go grocery shopping and I've never found one red cent

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
At 3722.41%, the war nickel has the highest volume of silver (per weight) than the other denominations.

Source - Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?

This is not true. It actually has the lowest volume of silver (per weight) than all the other denominations. The 90% dimes, quarters, and halves have much more silver per weight. That is the meaning of 90% versus 35% silver.

The 3722% is referring to the melt value versus face value, which means the intrinsic value of the silver is worth 3722% more than the face value of the coin.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone posted on here one time that if you had a dollar face value of each silver denomination, the nickel would be the one that got you over an ounce of silver. I actually checked Coinflation.com on this and have found it to be true. Not to mention most folks won't search nickels, going towards halves and dimes for their silver.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread