How much do people sell copper pennies for?

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you can't melt them, the only place you could sell them for a profit would be Feebay, but hoping to get 2 or 3 cent per and then taking out Feebay's charges, I am not sure there is a profit to be had. Most people who are hoarding pennies are doing so for the long haul, and waiting for when the government allows them to be melted.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
No it won't, copper is going to fall back down below its weight vs cents, might as well sell them while you can..., if you look at history, a similar scenario was happening in the past, then the price of copper dropped, and it went no further. Copper is not a precious metal, prices will normalize sooner or later.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Just a guess on my part for what it's worth....Canada stopped producing cents this year but they'll still be legal tender indefinitely which means probably the bank of Canada will buy them from the banks and scrap the copper ones for a profit....odds are the same thing would happen in the US when the time comes.

The various mints are probably in touch with each other and exchange ideas, etc....best bet would be to sell them for melt value to a copper hoarder in your area if you can find one than to go through all the hoops of listing fees, shipping, etc...
online.

Regards + HH

Bill

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
look at past threads,a nd the answers are already on this site numerous times. :-)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
look at past threads,a nd the answers are already on this site numerous times. :-)

You are going to say that for THIS?
This statement is true for this entire CRH section. It is the same 10 topics over and over and over and over again.:laughing7:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to say that for THIS?
This statement is true for this entire CRH section. It is the same 10 topics over and over and over and over again.:laughing7:

It has only been brought up twice since December 1st, it is only appropriate that on the 10th of December it resurface.....

spider3455

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2011
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to sell them on Ebay, but I decided the profit margin wasn't worth the effort. For a while, I would get are $70 for $50 face, but the last few I was luck if I was clearing $60.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread