First Box

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, I picked up my first box today. I called the credit union about ordering one, but they had a sealed one in stock, so I got that. I popped the lid and looked at the rolls, but nothing special showed up on the end that was up. I'll start checking it tonight and let you know how I did. I forgot to mention that this was a box of halves.

I also asked about loose halves, and they only had one. The teller said someone had brought in $200 dollars worth yesterday, but they had been counted and were set to go back to their supplier. It didn't matter anyway, as the teller said that one of the other tellers searched them and pulled out the silver ones. I won't ask about loose ones there again, just the boxes.

Upvote 0

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
buy your self a copy of the "Red Book", and the cherrypickers guide. This will help you scan your coins better and faster. Plus you won't put any valuable coins back into the rolls when you return them.

I suggest you use a Large 10x mangnifier and a halogen desk lamp for lighting.

search one roll at a time, put the 1982 and older in one pile, and the 1983 and newer in another. Check your date/varieties of the coppers first. Put the coppers in a "keeper bucket" and sort the 82's by large date/small date, copper/zinc. Then go throught the 1983 and up and check for the majors. 83 Double Die reverse, 84 Double Ear, 1992-D Close "AM" and the 1998, 1999 and 2000 wide "AM".

Put the "rejects" back into the roll, be sure to subtract the number of keeps from 50 so you know how many from the next roll you need to fill the first roll back upto 50.

Be on the look out for the "majors" in the copper pile, 1960 small date, 1969 Double Die Obverse, 1970 S small date (very hard to determine) 1971 S Double Die and 1972 Double Die.

Last but not least, All "S" mint cents from 1975 to now are Proofs.

Good luck and Happy Hunting. (your finger tips will never be the same)

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I was providing info related to a question he asked on my post.... sorry, too many things going as once.

OP
OP
B

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
NC_JOE .... I do appreciate the info on the pennies. I do search them and the info is a big help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread