Should teller be given treats for doing thier job?

Megagold

Mar 3, 2012
Calif by the Bay
Detector(s) used
MXT- AT Pro- Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You catch more flies with honey. It never hurts to be polite and show your appreciation, it pays dividends down the road...

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't at first, but now that we're on a first name basis, holiday presents are the way to go. All my pickup banks and my best dump bank all got chocolates. $9.99 per box, the good stuff, but it was buy one get one free. pre-wrapped.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all for being polite, friendly, respectful and all that other good stuff. That said, as nice as many of the tellers that I deal with are, they generally haven't gone out of their way for me that much in terms of setting aside silver or anything else (although I didn't ask for silver specifically, I asked for halves, big dollars and anything else interesting). I'll consider goodies for the tellers at one branch that set aside from CWRs for me, but for whatever reason these CWRs have produced next to nothing so far (maybe one Roosie and a bunch of wheats and random foreign coins; one '64 half in loose halves). But since this is the one branch that actually tries to contact me when they have CWRs, I guess they deserve something for keeping me in mind.

I'm not trying to say that CRHs shouldn't buy treats for tellers - to each his/her own. It's just that unless they are looking out for me, I don't feel any needed to reciprocate. They are friendly and nice to me, but I treat them the same way. The day a teller actually contacts me or sets aside something for me is the day they go on my "treats" list.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Reading here where people take donuts and stuff to thier tellers so they will be nice to them. Do you feel this makes a difference? Should they not be doing thier best for you in the first place?

They should be doing their jobs without additional incentive, and for the most part they do. However, their job description does not include saving coins specifically for me, or calling me when coins they know I want come in. If there are multiple coin hunters frequenting the same branch, who do you think the tellers will favor - the one who expects them to do their job, or the friendly customer who brings in treats?

Put it another way - when you eat at a restaurant, how much do you tip? Do you believe the wait staff should be doing their best for you without being tipped excessively? Do you ever tip more than 15%? If you eat at the same restaurant again and again, you'll consistently get better service if your server knows you're a good tipper. If you tip a flat 15% regardless of service, eventually the staff will know there's no point in going out of their way for you.

That being said, it's all about your relationship with the banks. Personally, I rarely take treats to my tellers. Earlier this year, when one lady went out of her way to call me when some CRW's came in, and I netted some serious silver, I took in some cookies my wife baked as a gesture of appreciation. I didn't have to do that, and I'm sure my relationship with the girls at that bank wouldn't have deteriorated without it, but by doing so I let them know in no uncertain terms how much I appreciate their help.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how you look at it. I do my job every day for a paycheck, but I do like to be recognized for "extra service." Nothing wrong with that. So yes, in my very humble opinion, folks that do their job well should be rewarded. I call that the American way, . . . or capitalism.

For me, and again, that is just me . . . I give 2 different banks . . . 1 is a pick up and 1 is a dump . . . Subway platters every year with all the fixings. They love it. I have 6 banks total that I deal with, but only two get the "royal treatment." To each his or (her) own. Both treat my like royality so I show in kind.
HSH,
apush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread