Got my first Ender!! - boxed finds

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya,

I went to call my bank to order some boxes for thursday pickup and they said that they had one box and could put another together for me. Totally sweet!! So I went shopping for my mom, picked up some lunch and picked up some brownies for the tellers at teh bank and picked up my nickels.

Got home and got to work opening the rolls. First thing poking its head at me, a war nickel on the end of a roll!! I was so happy but I set that roll aside to open at the end and continued to open rolls. Then I found a first, a 1909 V-nickel!! OMG! ::screams:: I don't have any of those. I don't know if there is any silver in it and its soo worn but I am stoked that I found it in a roll in the first place. Then I went through the rest of the box and found 2 buffalo nickels, a 1936 and 1937. I went through the second box and only found 1 dateless buffalo nickel, so I am counting that as a skunk. But all is not lost. I have another box of nickels on its way for thursday via my workplace. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to haul in 500 dollars worth of nickels into my dump bank without my arms falling off or looking like a total chump, wheeling a handcart inside. I am thinking multiple trips from car to teller.

On a sidenote - I have like 6 dateless buffalos. Anyone got an idea what I can do with those. Jewerly? Give them to kids? etc? I mean I don't think they are worth anything obviously because there's no date.

Anyhows,
Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
GarouLady said:
Hey ya,

I went to call my bank to order some boxes for thursday pickup and they said that they had one box and could put another together for me. Totally sweet!! So I went shopping for my mom, picked up some lunch and picked up some brownies for the tellers at teh bank and picked up my nickels.

Got home and got to work opening the rolls. First thing poking its head at me, a war nickel on the end of a roll!! I was so happy but I set that roll aside to open at the end and continued to open rolls. Then I found a first, a 1909 V-nickel!! OMG! ::screams:: I don't have any of those. I don't know if there is any silver in it and its soo worn but I am stoked that I found it in a roll in the first place. Then I went through the rest of the box and found 2 buffalo nickels, a 1936 and 1937. I went through the second box and only found 1 dateless buffalo nickel, so I am counting that as a skunk. But all is not lost. I have another box of nickels on its way for thursday via my workplace. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to haul in 500 dollars worth of nickels into my dump bank without my arms falling off or looking like a total chump, wheeling a handcart inside. I am thinking multiple trips from car to teller.

On a sidenote - I have like 6 dateless buffalos. Anyone got an idea what I can do with those. Jewerly? Give them to kids? etc? I mean I don't think they are worth anything obviously because there's no date.

Anyhows,
Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

That's a great box, you don't find those everyday.
Save your dateless Buffalos until you get a roll and sell them on eBay
You'll get above face value.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You could invest in a bottle of Nic-a-Date. Makes the date come up on the dateless buffs. Only costs about $6-7 bucks.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the idea but these are sooo worn down all I can see is the indian and the buffalo. But i definitely will keep that in mind if I get really nasty coins.

-Garoulady

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the idea but these are sooo worn down all I can see is the indian and the buffalo. But i definitely will keep that in mind if I get really nasty coins.

-Garoulady

People DO buy these with no dates.

Also, for the most part, the Nic-a-Date makes it where you can see the date on the coin, even if it is worn off. The liquid "eats away" some of the metal where you can see the date on it. It doesn't clean dirty nickels, it makes the date easier to see, even if it's not visible on the surface.

This was a 'dateless' one that I found, used Nic-a-Date on it, and BAM! 1919. (If you can't see it, click the picture.)

View attachment 711521

I've found several older nicks with the Nic-a-Date. I have found: 1913, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1919, and 1937 that were all dateless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
hmmm, ::strokes her chin:: interesting. I was going to go into town and turn 500 in nickels in but my mom doesn't want me to spend every day of my vacation driving around. I told her that we could go to ben franklin store since I was going to my dump bank right near there. she wasn't up to going to town. So I can wait a couple more days to dump them.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once bought $80 worth of dateless buffaloes and soaked 'em in a tub of hydrochloric acid for a few weeks. It brought out the dates quite well without having that nic-a-date patch around the date. of course, if I didn't' have access to it at work I don't know how I would ever be able to get ahold of some.

That nickel box with the V-nickel was a great one. Those are extremely rare to find in circulation. I wouldn't consider the dateless buffalo box a skunk, buffaloes are not easy to come by

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I once bought $80 worth of dateless buffaloes and soaked 'em in a tub of hydrochloric acid for a few weeks. It brought out the dates quite well without having that nic-a-date patch around the date. of course, if I didn't' have access to it at work I don't know how I would ever be able to get ahold of some.

That nickel box with the V-nickel was a great one. Those are extremely rare to find in circulation. I wouldn't consider the dateless buffalo box a skunk, buffaloes are not easy to come by

Do you have any pics of the hydrochloric acid Buffs?

And I don't consider a dateless buffalo nickel in a box a skunk either. They are harder to find than I would've thought.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any pics of the hydrochloric acid Buffs?

And I don't consider a dateless buffalo nickel in a box a skunk either. They are harder to find than I would've thought.

Funny story behind them. I put them in 2M HCl, and checked the dates every day to see if they showed up. after a couple days I could start to see the dates on some of the coins. I left them all in there over the weekend, and our undergraduate lab worker had come in, and he actually took the coins out of the bath and put them on the drying rack, without rinsing them off. the HCl left them all stained yellow. I threw them into a tupperware and have them sitting in my room right now. I've been planning on soaking them in water to see if it will remove the yellow and bring back the definition to the dates, but I haven't done it yet. my guess is that dried HCl ate further down through the coin, hopefully they will look good. I'll take a picture of the before and after, now that I finally have a reason to do it. should be fun

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny story behind them. I put them in 2M HCl, and checked the dates every day to see if they showed up. after a couple days I could start to see the dates on some of the coins. I left them all in there over the weekend, and our undergraduate lab worker had come in, and he actually took the coins out of the bath and put them on the drying rack, without rinsing them off. the HCl left them all stained yellow. I threw them into a tupperware and have them sitting in my room right now. I've been planning on soaking them in water to see if it will remove the yellow and bring back the definition to the dates, but I haven't done it yet. my guess is that dried HCl ate further down through the coin, hopefully they will look good. I'll take a picture of the before and after, now that I finally have a reason to do it. should be fun

I am anxious to see how they look. I would want to do something like that if I had the resources...

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I am wondering if I want to order 500 dollars of nickels or do a box of dimes and a couple boxes of nickels. hmmm. throwing the idea around in my head. But man, dragging 500 dollars of nickels to the car then into the bank is totally going to kill my arms. Called the bank and asked if they had a handcart I could use and they said yes, to just go to the desk and let them know. They said to make sure the coins were all clean, in wide mouth containers. I told them yeah that I store them in plastic large Nesquik containers. Those that you get at bulk food stores and the fiber powder containers, those make the best containers for coinage. Not too heavy, or big. But man, put three of those in a canvas bag. Eeessh. I got 3 canvas bags each with two containers in them. So I plan on dumping them, depositing 200 bucks in my account and the other 300 will go into my pocket for ordering more boxes.

See ya later,
Garoulady

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are dumping $500 in nickels at a time you will build some muscles. Lets see a biceps pic.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
, if I didn't' have access to it at work I don't know how I would ever be able to get ahold of some.

Are you talking about the hydrochloric acid? If you are, it also goes by another name (which I am sure you know), muriatic acid. Most hardware stores and wal-mart sell muriatic acid in either their paint section or their pools section.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread