finally made a profit off CRH

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I've been able to order around here are $1,000 bags of halves. All have been skunks and they all appear to come from the same source. Still trying to find a bank that will order boxes.

One bag I looked through actually tempted me to start collecting CRH marks as I found at least two dozen differently marked coins. One a-hole even put his initials, city, and date on there. Thought about hunting him down.

Anyways, a friend and I looked through a bag Sat night. More of the same. Thinking of starting a rumor that 1971 and bicentennial halves are worth a fortune since a large portion of what I hunt is comprised of those two. Towards the end of the bag, I found a penny, and a second later he found a 5 kronor coin.

The penny wasn't included in the 2,000 coins bought, so that was a bonus. The current exchange rate to Sweden puts the 5 kronor at about 75 cents.

Thousands upon thousands of halves searched, and I have netted 26 cents. On a roll baby!

Upvote 0

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Tried your luck with dimes?
I search $2000-3000/week of dimes and net 10-20 silver dimes.
I still ask for loose and CWR halves and pick up 3-4 silver halves a month.

OP
OP
TheMcs

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a very small amount of dimes but it's worth a shot. If nothing else I can get my daughter's Whitman book filled up. I've had no luck finding loose or CWR halves, even with a couple tellers that have offered to call when they come in. I'll keep at it though. Thanks for the heads up on dimes.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Or nickels. I have searched 6 boxes of nickels and so far have found 13 war nickels and 9 buffalos.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

OP
OP
TheMcs

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dimes lead paid off. I stopped at my bank at lunch and my teller friend said he had some halves set aside for me "including some silver". He handed me 20 halves, 3 of which were 40%. Nice!

Went on to my dump bank with $500 in halves, the teller there said he was happy to see them come in since he's had a lot of requests lately for halves and they never have them. I chuckled. Stopped by the coinstar on the way out and snagged a '36 wheatie from the reject tray.

Still have $100 in dimes to go through tonight, hope the streak continues. Thanks again!

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dimes lead paid off. I stopped at my bank at lunch and my teller friend said he had some halves set aside for me "including some silver". He handed me 20 halves, 3 of which were 40%. Nice!

Went on to my dump bank with $500 in halves, the teller there said he was happy to see them come in since he's had a lot of requests lately for halves and they never have them. I chuckled. Stopped by the coinstar on the way out and snagged a '36 wheatie from the reject tray.

Still have $100 in dimes to go through tonight, hope the streak continues. Thanks again!

You could try nickels. A dollars worth of nickels is actually more silver than one dollars worth on Silver American Eagles. Strange but true at a bank an American Eagle has the value of just one dollar and is one once of silver. A dollars worth of war nickels equals 1.1253 oz of silver. My daughter started a nickel collection a couple of weeks ago her first box had 3 war nickels in it, not that that will necessarily continue.

OP
OP
TheMcs

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried a few hundred dollars of nickels with no luck. Haven't written them off, just moving around a bit. I have a handful of war nickels from various change stashes I've gone through, so I know they are out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread