Would a bank give you $50 for a 1 oz gold eagle.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently picked up a silver eagle at a bank for a dollar. If I were a total nut case and brought a 1 oz gold eagle in for deposit would the bank deposit it, to my bank account. Would they accept it and give me $50 or tell me they could not accept the coin for deposit.

Since the coin is denominated as $50 and is minted by the US mint they could not give you more and am guessing but I am wondering if they would even accept it for deposit.

Anyone ever here of it happening?

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently picked up a silver eagle at a bank for a dollar. If I were a total nut case and brought a 1 oz gold eagle in for deposit would the bank deposit it, to my bank account. Would they accept it and give me $50 or tell me they could not accept the coin for deposit.

Since the coin is denominated as $50 and is minted by the US mint they could not give you more and am guessing but I am wondering if they would even accept it for deposit.

Anyone ever here of it happening?

They should. Technically, it is legal tender.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something tells me they would give you the $50 from the bank for the coin, then give the bank $50 from their pocket, and then slip the coin into their pocket and profit.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's happened before.

FWIW, any bullion coin produced by the US mint carries a face value and is legal tender, so it can be spent as money... including gold.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd imagine that they'd be -glad- to take it for $50, and then buy it right back from the bank for $50.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time it happened at my bank, the teller called me. I went speeding there and bought it from the customer for $880.00 which was what the lcs was paying that day. we were all happy and I still have it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are Legal Tender But there was a Write up in Coinflation earlier this year.

When it comes to Coins like that, Banks & Stores can still refuse to accept them if they choose

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So u r telling me, if i get paid in silver eagles as my salary, i can technically be paid 5000$ face value a year but in silver value $15,000

That means i get taxed on the 5000, because its face value
(if this isnt true, its like taxing someone on the metal value of clad)

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So u r telling me, if i get paid in silver eagles as my salary, i can technically be paid 5000$ face value a year but in silver value $15,000

Where can I find $5000 face value of silver for $15,000?!?! I will take it all!!!
This story might interest you One very strange use for silver coins

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in Vermont recently a couple idiots went into a bank & wanted $20 paper money for $20 gold coins they stole from a shop. the teller alerted police & they got away. they left a trail in pond shops from vermont to atlantic city. the coins were worth over $1500 each. bob@northeast metal detectors

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh heck yes they will give you a fifty bucks for it! you will make one happy teller, or one happy teller tray hunter. someone found an AGE in a teller tray awhile back!

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in Vermont recently a couple idiots went into a bank & wanted $20 paper money for $20 gold coins they stole from a shop. the teller alerted police & they got away. they left a trail in pond shops from vermont to atlantic city. the coins were worth over $1500 each. bob@northeast metal detectors

world's dumbest criminals!

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am guessing you could make the case that you were paid $5,000 if your employer gave you 5,000 Silver Eagles but I think you would be hard press to find an employer that would incur around $175,000 expense to obtain your $5,000 dollars in salary. The IRS mights questions it also unless you took those 5,000 Silver Eagle and deposited at the bank for $5,000 but I am not sure how that would work out in the end.

The problem is the company's expense and payroll figures would not match very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions