No more hoarding copper cents for me. Im gonna dump them into the wild!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No more hoarding copper cents for me. I'm gonna dump them into the wild!

Over $350.00 worth of copper cents are going to be dumped back into the wild. Why? Well, lots of reasons. They are heavy, take up too much space, its too much money tied up sitting around, its a base metal, the price of copper keeps falling, it costs even less to make cents now, its money that can be added back to my bank roll, I can buy silver with it instead, I don't think cents will ever go away, I don't think the Government will ever pass the copper penny melt law along with other reasons.

Now if anyone can provide me with some great reasons to continue hoarding them then maybe I will. But as of now I want to dump them because I really don't care about copper cents an more. But of course I keep all the Wheaties, key dates, high graders, proof, low mintage, etc. FYI, I will dump $25.00 face value (1 box) of them at a time.

Plus I want to dump most of my pre 1960 nickels too for similar & other reasons. But thats another story for another time.

Attachments

• 2012-12-09 08.57.22.jpg
    2012-12-09 08.57.22.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think every CRH'er has attempted at hoarding silver, myself included, but i don't see the point either, i might release the $100 i have hoarded back into circulation myself.

C'mon boys, you're not supposed to hoard CRH silver. The game is catch and release! How will all the little FDRs grow up to become Morgan Dollars one day if everyone is just plucking em out of circulation!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I know the law says that you can't melt the pennies, but does it say anything about dropping them in nitric acid? ;) Just curious.

Yeah, I think the law is pretty clear cut with respect to melting, defacing, or destroying nickels and pennies.

Even if it didn't, do you really think it would be worth your time and effort, not to mention the price of nitric acid, to attempt this?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm reading this right,

You invested $350 and x hours of time on a speculation.

You did that because you wanted that investment to someday return... what?, 3x the initial investment?, more?

A few months have gone by and that investment could only return 1.25x and there is no guarantee that it would ever return more than that.

So, your solution is to dispose of it slowly for the original cost basis of $350.

If you can only do one or the other (hunt silver or hoard copper), you shouldn't have ever been hoarding pennies. But, since you did it, take what you can get. I'm not a serious CRH'er, but I've read enough posts to know that if you undercut other sellers out there you could easily get 1.25 for your copper.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
If you can find a craigslist buyer dump it that way but the return will probably be lost in gas and time. Like many I went through the same finally I just poured them into a free coin counter. I made more money just dumping and buying dime boxes with the money.

Maine_Jim

narf

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will buy copper pennies 1.4x face shipped..(better than ebay since i have no fees) Please let me know who is interested. kushesh101 at hotmail dot com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions