No more hoarding copper cents for me. Im gonna dump them into the wild!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No more hoarding copper cents for me. I'm gonna dump them into the wild!

Over $350.00 worth of copper cents are going to be dumped back into the wild. Why? Well, lots of reasons. They are heavy, take up too much space, its too much money tied up sitting around, its a base metal, the price of copper keeps falling, it costs even less to make cents now, its money that can be added back to my bank roll, I can buy silver with it instead, I don't think cents will ever go away, I don't think the Government will ever pass the copper penny melt law along with other reasons.

Now if anyone can provide me with some great reasons to continue hoarding them then maybe I will. But as of now I want to dump them because I really don't care about copper cents an more. But of course I keep all the Wheaties, key dates, high graders, proof, low mintage, etc. FYI, I will dump $25.00 face value (1 box) of them at a time.

Plus I want to dump most of my pre 1960 nickels too for similar & other reasons. But thats another story for another time.

Attachments

• 2012-12-09 08.57.22.jpg
    2012-12-09 08.57.22.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you, but I only got so far as filling up a baggie. Thought about listing them by the pound on feebay, but then looked at all the similar auctions that aren't selling.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I haven't looked at the markets lately, but wouldn't you be better off selling them on Ebay or Craigslist? I'd think you could get at least $400 for the cents. Not sure about the nickels - Mr. Shultz was the resident expert in that field.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check out what's happening on Ebay re copper pennies first. then dump them.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I would buy them off you at face in a heartbeat if you were local. Unless you really need the cash, I would hold onto them for emergency funds or try to sell them over face on craigs list.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just fill up empty old-school liquor bottles with them. That way they look cool and aren't as much of a burden

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I got rid of my US lincoln memorial cents awhile ago for similair reasons, I sold them for over face on ebay.
My suggestion is too list them on craigslist and ebay before you dump them at a bank for face.

You should check to see how much you can stuff into a USPS flat rate small or medium size box and list them in lots accordingly.
I believe I got 1.25-1.5 cent per penny.

Regarding pre1960 Jefferson nickels, I sold some in lots of one or two rolls each getting 7-8 cents per nickel.
I didn't try and sell them in larger lots which would have been more effcient in terms of shipping costs.

Good luck

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
I searched and saved copper cents for a while, a short while.
I figured the time spent and the ultimate potential profit and gave it up within a week.
I don't even believe the people who buy ryedale or sorters will ever see much if any
profit if they figure in time and expenses like gas, and future expenses getting rid
of all that weight.
Sell the cents, take some of the money and place an ad in a paper or two,
and get to work buying silver. I found a guy who bought junk silver in the
1970's and is now selling it off slowly. He just sold me 500 silver
dimes for $1000. Wish I had more $$$, he is always offering me silver for
less than spot!
Might have to become a charter member here and start listing in the
classifieds, take some quick profit and build my stack.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think every CRH'er has attempted at hoarding copper, myself included, but i don't see the point either, i might release the $100 i have hoarded back into circulation myself.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I think every CRH'er has attempted at hoarding silver, myself included, but i don't see the point either, i might release the $100 i have hoarded back into circulation myself.

We'll assume the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I would wager that 100% of us would agree on hoarding silver. But if you insist on releasing the silver - please release it to me?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats your Call..I personally Save all my Copper cents, But a year or so ago, i was bankign from selling it on Craigslist and FeeBay...Until Ebay found out i wasnt using Paypal, and suspended my account, But I still slowly save. To me its always worth face value, and Im sure in a few years Copper will be at a good point again..But if its in your wat and taking up too much space...dump it

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping mine and still looking for more. In the past year I was able to profit about $1000 from selling pennies. If I put my hoard back into savings it wouldn't make me any money since interest rates are so low. The way I look at it the $350 worth of copper that I still have has already earned me $1000 in interest. I used that $1000 profit to buy silver. I was selling them for 2X face so in effect I was buying silver for half of melt. My buyer has stopped buying cents but if he or anyone else starts buying I'm a seller. I've also noticed that copper prices have been going up the last week or so.

Last edited:

mishra142

Oct 4, 2011
If you or anyone is interested in getting rid of copper pennies pm me ill give you more than the bank will. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread