Hunting the Kettle

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty dispictable to even think of CRH a salvation army kettle. Must have been a good person who ever put it in there, if I was made of money, I'd do the same thing.

NYScrap

Feb 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are several instances of this over the years. I know there is one kettle in NYC that someone drops several thousand dollars in each year, a bunch of $100 wrapped in $1s. And the gold coin thing I have seen several times.

I think the Salvation army should hire a CRH person to get max value out of their kettles. I bet they get a ton of silver that never gets sorted out.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I think the Salvation army should hire a CRH person to get max value out of their kettles. I bet they get a ton of silver that never gets sorted out.

If that's the case, then the majority of it is going back into circulation. The Salvation Army deposits their collections into their bank account, and we eventually end up getting the coins.

FWIW, I donate 10% of my CRH proceeds, even those on paper. So in a manner of speaking, if I would receive Salvation Army silver, they or a similar organization would be getting some of it back anyway.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in northern Indiana and i guess theres a guy that puts a gold ounce round in every year. I just want to know how many years it took them to figure this out. That could be a lot of wasted gold!!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty certain that the Salvation Army has contacts to sort through the coins and get an added percentage for any coins of value. They'd be stupid not to be.

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty certain that the Salvation Army has contacts to sort through the coins and get an added percentage for any coins of value. They'd be stupid not to be.

It's not sorted. They collect so much that the banks have a difficult time processing it. I found this video from one coin machine company about how they were processing the SA's change.

Chromeless Video Player

Last edited:

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like seeing these stories.
Seems to happen every year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread