Strange thing happened picking up halves

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I picked up from a new bank, and I brought in my little cart to carry out the boxes. Low and behold they bring out $500 dollar bags, and they say that is the only way they get halves even when they request boxes.

The kids will be disappointed if their coins are scratched up & they can't save any for the coin books. And who knows if there will be AG.

Just venting a bit, I'll see once we go through them.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Bags can have their rewards as their can be a collection dump, but with all the volume competition nowadays, many are granted bag-dumping privileges. Most likely nowadays, you are getting the volume dumps. The best sign that you might have a good bag is all the trash that will be in it.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Interesting points. The bags looked fairly clean so I'm not sure what to think.

The manager said that they get them from the money distribution center. Whatever that means. I didn't see a Brinks, Loomis, or other tag on it. I'll be home in less than an hour and will be going through them. I'm keeping my hopes up.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

The manager said that they get them from the money distribution center. Whatever that means. I didn't see a Brinks, Loomis, or other tag on it. I'll be home in less than an hour and will be going through them. I'm keeping my hopes up.

I'm curious too, I was told this once when I ordered from a new branch a while back, but showed up to find reapck dump boxes. Hope ya find something good in the bags, I'm sure you'll let us know. HH, Maverick.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

And you won't see a Brinks, Loomis, etc. label. When I first dumped in bags, my acct. was labeled with the bags and I got the tear-off strip as a "receipt". After awhile of no discrepancies, the bags would just be exchanged for cash with no accounting. At the processing facility, they are more than likely just weighed to fall in an acceptable range. The demand for halves is exceptional so the processing facility will cut corners and turn around and deliver the dumps.

Larger banks will it stipulated in their contracts that the coin will be wrapped and boxed. Others will not. On my one supply pick-up, the couriers delivered bags. When I arrived, I noted my objection and the Head teller was alerted. She demanded the couriers return to pick-up and resupply the bank with the ordered coin. It was a very long day for the couriers. But there was never a problem after that.

I hope your bags are loaded with a collection. Good luck.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
For a while I was able to get bags, but no more. I loved them. You'll get lots of extras that aren't usually counted as part of the bag. SBA and Sac dollars, quarters, dimes, Chuck E. Cheese tokens, etc. Oh, and silver. I pulled 303 silver halves from a 1K bag once. 302 40's and one lone 64 Ken. There's a post here about it.

So, in my opinion, bags are the way to go. Much greater chance of getting the 'whole collection' that was dumped, than if the coins go through the rolling process. YMMV

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found so many chucky cheese tokens, I am thinking it is time for a visit.. Do they allow roll hunting in the ball pit?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found so many chucky cheese tokens, I am thinking it is time for a visit.. Do they allow roll hunting in the ball pit?

Tell them you want .50 for each one, and if they do not exchange threaten to report them to the FBI for trying to pollute the US currency distribution with slugs of the exact dimensions of US currency. What they are doing is illegal. Gotta go in there, and bust the place up if they don't give into the threat. OR we as CRH can get together and make a real case to Chucky Cheese's illegal activity to the authorities. Also, watch out, its a bad place so I hear, they sell alcohol there to my understanding.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Also, watch out, its a bad place so I hear, they sell alcohol there to my understanding.

I remember my younger years in college trying to play the ever increasing challenge of Whack-A-Mole after partaking in a few adult beverages. When it became too difficult to keep up, we settled in for a relaxing game of skeeball.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never gotten bags, only boxes with wrapped coin. What part of Florida are you in?

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags can have their rewards as their can be a collection dump, but with all the volume competition nowadays, many are granted bag-dumping privileges. Most likely nowadays, you are getting the volume dumps. The best sign that you might have a good bag is all the trash that will be in it.

The one (partially filled) bag of halves I've done was pretty good (walker, '64 Ken, 2 x 40%, about 20 proof, 20 NIFC) and had significant trash in it. Apparently a lot of machine put rejects in the half bag.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
thripp said:
I have never gotten bags, only boxes with wrapped coin. What part of Florida are you in?

The other coast. I was completely surprised to get bags because I had gotten a box from another branch of the same bank when we were in Miami a couple of weeks ago. I think it was just this branch, 'cause another branch of the same name up the road said they couldn't order boxes. My area must be funny. It's a smallish town.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The one (partially filled) bag of halves I've done was pretty good (walker, '64 Ken, 2 x 40%, about 20 proof, 20 NIFC) and had significant trash in it. Apparently a lot of machine put rejects in the half bag.

That is the indicator that I was referring to above. Most machines put the rejects and trash in the half bag. When you find the trash, then the chance for silver is better.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Alright, I went through the first bag and it was a skunk. It had a lot of marked coins so it was either somebody else's dump or in the dump chain. It had a name of a branch of the same bank, so I looked it up on the Internet and it is within an hour's radius. There is one more bag marked with the same name and the rest are blank. Onto the next.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, I went through the first bag and it was a skunk. It had a lot of marked coins so it was either somebody else's dump or in the dump chain. It had a name of a branch of the same bank, so I looked it up on the Internet and it is within an hour's radius. There is one more bag marked with the same name and the rest are blank. Onto the next.

We''ll be waiting, any chance of getting a pic of the marked coins by chance? Just curious. Good luck, Maverick.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
maverick said:
We''ll be waiting, any chance of getting a pic of the marked coins by chance? Just curious. Good luck, Maverick.

3rd bag is also a skunk, it was the second and last labeled bag from that specific far away branch. Here is a pic of some of it's marked coins for ya Maverick. Any of them yours?

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Pic attached.

Attachments

• image-1653441336.jpg
    image-1653441336.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 123

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
FloridaFinder said:
Pic attached.

I recognize some, I'll pm you as to which ones, you'll be surprised. Maverick.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All bags were skunks for AG. Except I did find a couple of proofs (kinda rough shape) and several good condition coins for the kid's coin folders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread