Safe Deposit Box (A conversation that made me start removing my items)

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While waiting in line to dump my dimes today I sparked up a conversation with an older woman (in her 70s-80s). This woman actually lived her entire life in a North Jersey shore town and was telling me about how her town was completely demolished by hurricane Sandy which forced her to move into my area with her daughter. This woman's house was one of many that were completely destroyed and since she had been through many hurricanes before, she only took one suitcase with her when she evacuated the area.. Long story short, she lost EVERYTHING.. The entire house was washed away and she was left with absolutely nothing.. As a back story, I have a lot of problems with FEMA that I will not go into, but as my conversation continued with this woman I was very pleased to hear about all the positive things they did for her. They not only gave her a $1000 dollars, but also offered to cover hotel charges for her for two weeks until she found a permanent residence. When she was telling me about what they did for her, I replied by saying how nice it is to know that FEMA is actually doing some good and truly helping people.. Needless to say, this made her upset and caused her to bring something up that truly astonished me.. She said, that FEMA did something that completely overrides any help they offered her. While she was grateful that they did give her some money and offered to pay for a hotel, FEMA may have taken all of her antique jewelry and collectables that had been accumulated for generations in her family. She told me that when FEMA took control over the town and surrounding areas, all banks and assets were taken as well.. When she went to the bank to remove her collectables from her safe deposit box before she moved, she was denied entry and told to give her phone number, but was also told that "there is no guarantee she will ever be able to get her items back." this was weeks ago and she still has not heard anything. She stated that she has went back to the bank to retrieve her items numerous times and continues to be told the same thing. I could see how upset this woman was and I was completely dumbfounded that this happened to her.. I have been storing some valuables in a safe deposit box for quite some time now and have never once for a second believed that my valuables would ever have the possibility of being taken by the government. After my conversation with this woman today, I made the decision to begin removing my items.. I am well aware, that people on this forum will begin calling this woman a liar and will not believe this story, but I promise you I am not making this up. This woman also did not strike me as some nutjob crazy old lady, but someone who was just demoralized and distraught over how she was treated.. I tried searching online to find some proof of this, but couldn't find anything.. I will say though, that I do believe her.. She had nothing to gain from telling me about this. We were simply having a conversation while waiting to use the coin machine.. She only brought it up after I told her how nice it was to hear that FEMA is doing good things for people.. Either way, I figured I would post this in the forum as a warning and perhaps a wake up call to people.. Obviously you should do as you wish with your valuables and I know most people will not change anything after hearing about this, but after today my mind has certainly been changed. I will no longer be trusting my valuables in a safe deposit box.. Just something for you all to think about.. Happy Hunting everyone...

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I work hard enough trying to get the silver out if the banks, I don't keep any of mine there. HH, maverick.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work hard enough trying to get the silver out if the banks, I don't keep any of mine there. HH, maverick.

LOL... Wow dude.. that one had me cracking up... Just awesome..

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would and how could FEMA seize bank accounts and assets? Anyone on here have any experience/first hand knowledge of this?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This story does not pass the smell test. Not doubting anyone's word, but it just seems like something is missing here.

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AdDicted2ag, I believe exactly what your saying could be true. Just watched a video on you tube about not so safe deposit boxes with ABC news reporting the story about California seizing and selling private property and using private contractors to do it. Google not so safe deposit boxes.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the items still in her SDB? She said that she was unable to gain entry. Does that mean that the items were removed? I thought i remember hearing something about the banks having the right to close a SDB if there is no account activity for a certain period of time. Any truth to this and could this possibly be the reason?

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the items still in her SDB? She said that she was unable to gain entry. Does that mean that the items were removed? I thought i remember hearing something about the banks having the right to close a SDB if there is no account activity for a certain period of time. Any truth to this and could this possibly be the reason?

I know for a fact that it is a federal law that if there is no account activity for two years at a bank not at a credit union that the money is rolled over to the government and you have to do a bunch of paper work to get it back. my wife just started working as a teller and she had to tell an old lady she couldn't have her deceased husbands money even though it was rightfully hers because she was over the 2 year mark on collecting it. Some of the mandates that are pushed on banks are ridiculous and drive a lot of consumers to the credit unions were the gummint doesn't have its filthy paws all over it. So would it surprise me if fema could do that no absolutely not.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone.. That is an interesting thought.. Maybe she didn't use her account for a couple years and that is the reason, but she obviously was told otherwise.. I don't blame you all for not believing it, but with where this country is heading today I didn't find I too far fetched.. I believe she said Sandy Hook NJ... I never asked her what bank, but I assumed a TD bank since that is the bank I had the interaction with her at..

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvershooter said:
AdDicted2ag, I believe exactly what your saying could be true. Just watched a video on you tube about not so safe deposit boxes with ABC news reporting the story about California seizing and selling private property and using private contractors to do it. Google not so safe deposit boxes.

Thanks silver shooter I will check that video out.. Like I said earlier.. I cannot prove it to be true.. If the woman had seemed a little weird or crazy, than I wouldn't have believed her, but she really seemed like any normal person you would run into at the bank.. She was an absolute sweetheart.. I just figured it was worth posting about

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Safe deposit boxes and all bank accounts have dormancy periods. They are subject to the unclaimed property laws of the states.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would and how could FEMA seize bank accounts and assets? Anyone on here have any experience/first hand knowledge of this?

Complete Rubbish. I do have first hand knowledge as I lived through Hurricane Charley in Florida. While we did not have access to the banks until they had power, once the
generators were in we had complete access to the bank and ATM's. FEMA confiscated NOTHING!

The lady is confused.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
Complete Rubbish. I do have first hand knowledge as I lived through Hurricane Charley in Florida. While we did not have access to the banks until they had power, once the
generators were in we had complete access to the bank and ATM's. FEMA confiscated NOTHING!

The lady is confused.

Hmmm maybe that is why.. Maybe they haven't received power back yet... That would explain it.. Thanks for chiming in everyone..

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseyben said:
and... Welcome to Crazy Town!

Crazy is never doubting your thoughts or actions.. Intelligence is questioning everything..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread