which is more common?

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've been hunting for a yearr and a half. I've found more proofs than AG. Is that typical? Unfortunately, only 2 or 3 are even nice enough to be considered attractive, but i do keep em, since i date check anyway. Just wondering what your ratios look like (if you are just an edge searcher, no need to comment, lol).

Upvote 0

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I edge search only & get proofs all the time. They have a wider looking and usually much crisper edge. I have been keeping all mine. I would say I have got about 1/10 the amount of proofs to silver.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as boxes of halves go, I have found 10 silvers (1 90%, 9 40%) and only 1 proof (1985-S). In CWR, I have found 9 proofs (one of them being a 1968-S 40% silver proof) and only 2 other silvers (both 40%ers).

I am an off again, on again searcher, and my area is VERY dry for silver.

I've been hunting for about 7-8 months.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have saved most all of my proofs I have found and there are waaay less proofs in my collection than Silver. I have a complete set of proofs from 70 to 2012, and many other duplicates put away allready. The hardest one to find was the 87 proof, I only have 1 of those, and I also keep any 1987's that I find too, I believe I have about 15 of them so far. HH, Maverick.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have saved most all of my proofs I have found and there are waaay less proofs in my collection than Silver. I have a complete set of proofs from 70 to 2012, and many other duplicates put away allready. The hardest one to find was the 87 proof, I only have 1 of those, and I also keep any 1987's that I find too, I believe I have about 15 of them so far. HH, Maverick.

Do you have complete sets including clad and silver proofs or just clad? I would love to find more proofs than I have, I've still got plenty of holes in my coin folder.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have complete sets including clad and silver proofs or just clad? I would love to find more proofs than I have, I've still got plenty of holes in my coin folder.

Whoopsy, ya, I should specify that, mine are clad, I wish they were silver! I do have a couple of silver ones, but thats it. PM me Boris, I'm sure I can get you some to fill the holes in your album. Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I like proofs too Mav! Lol

You gotta wait to see whats left after Boris picks his dates out there Wicka, lol. Sorry for hijacking your thread there Hokie. Maverick.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i've never found an 87 of any kind

Yeah, I'm not a half hunter (no banks will order for me :( ) but I hear 87's are pretty rare =D
Happy Hunting!
Wicka

I have found 3 1987-D halves and 1 1987-S proof (the proof was in a single CWR with 3 other AU proofs). I have never found a 1987-P though. They are pretty tough, (haven't found one in about 5 months).

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So I've been hunting for a yearr and a half. I've found more proofs than AG. Is that typical? Unfortunately, only 2 or 3 are even nice enough to be considered attractive, but i do keep em, since i date check anyway. Just wondering what your ratios look like (if you are just an edge searcher, no need to comment, lol).

I'd say you're hunting in an area that has been picked clean. I've been hunting for about the same length of time, and my ratio is between 5 and 8 silver to 1 proof; no comment on the ratio of clad to silver or clad to proof.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i haven't found much and am pretty low volume (1-2 boxes per week with occasion month breaks) but i think my ratio was more a result of lots of proof finds. In the beginning, I had 5-6 boxes in a row with a proof or two. i dunno. my keeper rate for 40 and 90 % is def below the average on this site though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread