tWhat are your half averages?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I suppose it depends on the time of year and where your located. Personally it has been pretty poor for the past year, I'm now into about 16 boxes with zip silver. Before that last box with 3 or 4 keepers, it was another 15 boxes with zip. Prior to that I had a box with 23 90% coins. I seem lately to be doing better with the loose coins the tellers have as I go in and ask for any halves they may have. But don't let my poor performance hinder your hunting. Other than the time involved your really not out any money if you fail to find silver, as you just dump that box and try again. Best of luck to you and hope you strike it big!!

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0.62 90% per box, 0.88 40% per box.

There are a one or two very good 90% boxes mixed into that though, so I'd bet that number might be skewed a little high, even with a decently large sample size.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last month, my average is 0%. I haven't found a single silver in boxes. this isn't a hobby for those who can't handle rejection. The boxes have been rejecting me long time.

ch Penn

Aug 29, 2012
Where can I find a box of halves ? I went to five different branches and was told that they can't order them anymore

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I find a box of halves ? I went to five different branches and was told that they can't order them anymore
It's hit or miss. Mostly miss and more so everyday. You just have to try every bank you can. My average route to pick up and dump is up to about 550 miles a month and exspanding all the time. Depends on your area of course but if you're willing to put in the time, effort and miles, you can find some bank/banks that will order them.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
15 skunks, 1 box with a few silver, 15 more skunks, 1 box with a couple keepers, 20 more skunks, ect, ect. HH, Maverick.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the 27 boxes I have ordered, I have only found 2 pieces of 40%, and that was within the last 6 boxes... took 21 boxes till I hit anything...

What is a good program to use to keep data/spreadsheet of all the boxes?

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Went over the entire years numbers, seems I accidentally added one line twice.

1.59/40% - 0.49/90% : 0.4129 oz : Skunk Avg 60.94%

Infowarrior, I use a text file to do mine, I really need to set up an excel spreadsheet, I just have not done it yet.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only did three boxes. 4 40% and 1 unc 90% all Kennedys and all in the same first box. Zip since then, but I just got started with the box addiction. I have two banks willing to give me all I want.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like i have had better luck than you guys because i have been through about $500 and have found 1 90% and 3 40%

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

Were these branches at banks you have accounts with? It's rare indeed to find a bank that will order for you if you don't have an account.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For boxes, 1.125 silvers per box (combining 40% and 90% halves - about 20% of my box finds are 90%). I don't do nearly the numbers other folks on here do, and I've never found anything close to a dream box, but I suspect something in the area of a one-per-box average will hold regardless of what I do.

I've never found CWRs of halves (other than some obvious dumps), but have searched MWRs and loose halves. My records of loose halves searched are not perfectly kept, but loose halves and MWRs (outside of boxes) have produced minimal silver for me. I still think searching outside of boxes should produce better averages, but since there appear to be no CWR halves in my area and rare loose halves, I rely on boxes to produce silver.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems like i have had better luck than you guys because i have been through about $500 and have found 1 90% and 3 40%

2 boxes worth of halves doesnt give you a clear picture of what your area produces. You want to see my first two boxes ever done of halves?

01-24-12 - 14/40% - 00/90% - 0/F - 0/W - 0/B : 2.0706 oz
01-24-12 - 17/40% - 02/90% - 2/F - 7/W - 1/B : 6.8547 oz

If only I could base those as an average.

I have done 297 boxes this year, my average per box is above and that is after a 60% skunk rate.

I am hoping this last year was a low year for halves and would like to see better production from boxes this year with the economy getting worse but I doubt that will happen because I know I have a new dumper in my cycle, I keep seeing the same marks on coins on a regular basis. I either have to up my volume ( impossible with my job ) or find a different source for boxes, which again is nearly impossible in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread