Newbee coin roll question

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
How do most of you return your coins back to the bank? Do you throw them into the coin machine at the same bank you got them from, or to a different bank. Or do you replace the keepers and return the rolls to the teller? I used to get them at one bank, and then give them to another via the machine. Problem was, the machine would always need to be emptied mid return, and I felt I was being a pain in the a-- when asking the teller to empty the machine so that I may proceed. I plan to start this again after the new year.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take my dumps/rejects to a different bank. But to be honest..When I CRH, i always make up stories of why i want the coins...sometimes its my sons Boyscout troop doing a fundraiser...sometimes its for my kids that just got books...sometimes its for my father who collects coins...and it really all depends on how the person is acting....Ive never bugged anyone doing it...espically when its for you "kids"

OP
OP
renegade_7

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Getting the rolls is no problem, I just ordered them from my bank. I was more concerned about the dumping of the coins. Your bank or a different bank--machine or teller?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teller. Found three nice tellers and a nice manager and one really cranky one. You can deposit them, rolled, they shouldn't give you a problem.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting the rolls is no problem, I just ordered them from my bank. I was more concerned about the dumping of the coins. Your bank or a different bank--machine or teller?

Homie, you said concerned.
You need not feel concerned with it comes to tellers for they are not concerned about you. If they get mad at you for dumping coins, too bad, dump more, and if they do not get mad, maybe, just maybe give them something like some sour patch kids in a year from now.

Concern, do tellers have it? No
Concern, there is much to learn.
What have tellers got to show?

You don't dump where you get your coins first of all, and use preferably a different branch for dumping altogether. I use a coin machine, sometimes bring in rolls. Also, you need to take a less corned attitude when it comes to coin roll hunting, best bit of advice I can give you.

OP
OP
renegade_7

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Thanks for the advice. You are right 50Cent, why be concerned. Good stuff. Wilmingtonsilver, Just say it, I won't chastise; promise. You know you want to. You or someone, just say it....

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not going to say it. the last time I said it, I got chastised. Someone else needs to say it though. Come on, you know you wanna.

Go for it wilmington! LOL. I usually tell the tellers that I play nickel poker and need the nickels for all the players, if they ask. Otherwise its really none of their concern, not that I will ever say that. Just the person I am. But don't worry about dumping coins at a bank. Just don't do it at the bank or credit union where you get your coins. I have found one of my local banks that I have a account with has no limit to how much I dump. I plan on just getting a hundred dollars of nickels every week and when I get a good amount, I will use my dad's handcart, load it up into the back of my car and drive them to the bank. I just hope I will get more war nickels. I hate this silver skunk streak going on. It's up to 7 boxes now ::growls::

Sincerely, Garoulady

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'm not going to say it. the last time I said it, I got chastised. Someone else needs to say it though. Come on, you know you wanna.

I'll say it. Never dump where you eat. Take the coins back to a different bank - not just a different branch of the same bank. Taking them back to the same bank will get you cut off.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say it. Never dump where you eat. Take the coins back to a different bank - not just a different branch of the same bank. Taking them back to the same bank will get you cut off.

I don't get why you say don't even dump at a different branch of the same bank. I just dump and am rarely ever asked at pickup or dropoff for any info. I dump at banks I don't pick up, and haven't been hassled yet.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The assumption is that the branches of a bank in a region will use the same coin company, which means you will just be recycling your dumps back into your pickups all the quicker. This is an assumption that I believe to be true in my area, as I have pretty much figured out what banks order from what coin companies.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do most of you return your coins back to the bank? Do you throw them into the coin machine at the same bank you got them from, or to a different bank. Or do you replace the keepers and return the rolls to the teller? I used to get them at one bank, and then give them to another via the machine. Problem was, the machine would always need to be emptied mid return, and I felt I was being a pain in the a-- when asking the teller to empty the machine so that I may proceed. I plan to start this again after the new year.

Well first of all my question would be what the **** is a td bank. All i can think of is the larson daniels viking. But to answer your question no you do not dump at the same bank unless they supply you with brinks boxes. But you still might make the tellers mad with all the picking up and dumping.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD Bank is a division of TD Ameritrade. I believe they are mainly on the east coast. I have no clue what a bank that gets their coins from Brinks has anything to do with weather you dump where you eat, but if you want to search the same few coins ad nauseum until you give up, go right ahead.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ accord, because those coins work their way back, and you will eventually be searching through them again. &again &again*100^100

The assumption is that the branches of a bank in a region will use the same coin company, which means you will just be recycling your dumps back into your pickups all the quicker. This is an assumption that I believe to be true in my area, as I have pretty much figured out what banks order from what coin companies.

Ah, I get it. String & Son boxes are the only boxes I get, it's between Dunbar (most common) and Garda, so I don't have much of a choice. The other company seemed to stop serving the WF's in my area. I have to keep peeing in the same kiddie pool.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
TD Bank is a division of TD Ameritrade. I believe they are mainly on the east coast.

They are only on the East Coast:

387px-TDBank_footprint.png

They are also in all the Canadian provinces and territories, except for Nunavut, but I can't find a map of their locations.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else do this...

Ill dump my halves, at a coin machine bank, then when they ask how I want it back, ill ask for a box or 2 of dimes, or maybe quarters if im really bored...

Ive been doing that for a few weeks now, the dime boxes produce decently, but man they are rolled tight as hell, my fingers always sore after doing those... But the tellers and their managers dont ever seem to mind doing it, as long as they have extra boxes around

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone else do this...

Ill dump my halves, at a coin machine bank, then when they ask how I want it back, ill ask for a box or 2 of dimes, or maybe quarters if im really bored...

Ive been doing that for a few weeks now, the dime boxes produce decently, but man they are rolled tight as hell, my fingers always sore after doing those... But the tellers and their managers dont ever seem to mind doing it, as long as they have extra boxes around

I feel like picking up CWR/extra MWR where you dump is okay, as long as you don't order and the tellers are okay with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread