Coin Comparator CC-16 help

O63tihson

Greenie
Dec 28, 2012
North East Ga
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm needing help with a CC-16 coin comparator. I am trying to figure out what the power connection is? Is it a 6 pin Molex, or 6 pin JST? It is 12 volt DC powered, but how many amps do I need to run it? I have been looking at this forum for a few months now, and you all seem very helpful. Thank you in advance:thumbsup:! Bill

Upvote 0

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think it takes much to run it. Under an amp. Just run it at 12v (if that's what it says) and you will be fine.

If you need pin outs ill have to get back with you. The unit is down in my office.

Novapax

OP
OP
O63tihson

O63tihson

Greenie
Dec 28, 2012
North East Ga
Primary Interest:
Other
Novapax, thanks for the help with the amps. now I just need to figure out what the pin outs are, and where to get them.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll try to take a look later today and post the wires to power it up.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Novapax, thanks for the help with the amps. now I just need to figure out what the pin outs are, and where to get them.

Looking at the CC-16 facing the label on the front, the I/O connector (inline 6 pin molex) is on the left side of the plastic box the label is on. Pins are listed from the top down;

6 - Ground - Power Supply Return
5 - Power Supply Input - Apply Rated Voltage.
4 - Not Used
3 - Not Used
2 - Open Collector Coin Counter Output - Coin Accept Outputs A Grounding Pulse.
1 - Inhibit Input (For Inhibit models) - Ground To Enable CC-16 Operation.

I think the connector is a JST.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks BCD11. Been busy here with the kids. Haven't been down in my office yet today. LoL.

I try to help where I can on the coin comparators. Mine is working great. Need another hopper to run double amount of dimes. Can't run too many.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BCD11. Been busy here with the kids. Haven't been down in my office yet today. LoL.
I
I try to help where I can on the coin comparators. Mine is working great. Need another hopper to run double amount of dimes. Can't run too many.
Hi Novapax and BCD11-
Thanks for your help. I have our hopper up and running for dimes. I have a comparitor problem, though. I have a CC-16E which accepts all coins. I can't get the ramp to open unless I touch the bottom two pins on the power supply. We have dealt with the counterweight situation already. I suspect it may be due to the use of alligator clips rather that a proper harness outlined above but maybe not. Does the inhibit pin ground get connected to the top pin ground, of does the inhibit pin ground just get attached to some metal part somewhere? Any ideas?

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Novapax and BCD11-
Thanks for your help. I have our hopper up and running for dimes. I have a comparitor problem, though. I have a CC-16E which accepts all coins. I can't get the ramp to open unless I touch the bottom two pins on the power supply. We have dealt with the counterweight situation already. I suspect it may be due to the use of alligator clips rather that a proper harness outlined above but maybe not. Does the inhibit pin ground get connected to the top pin ground, of does the inhibit pin ground just get attached to some metal part somewhere? Any ideas?

Congrats to you on getting the hopper operational. Seeing a homemade machine do its thing is satisfying.

If your 16-E has the Inhibit function (look for INH on the label) then you do need to connect the bottom pin on the comparitor to the ground. I just spliced the lead from the INH connector pin (bottom pin) to the ground wire coming off the top pin of the connector.

Keep us posted on your progress.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

GO HOPPERS!!

I didn't mean to steal your thunder Novapax. I have no doubt you would have nailed the answer had you had a chance to get to it. Kids, at least in my book, come first.

Good luck on getting that second sorter going!

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you on getting the hopper operational. Seeing a homemade machine do its thing is satisfying.

If your 16-E has the Inhibit function (look for INH on the label) then you do need to connect the bottom pin on the comparitor to the ground. I just spliced the lead from the INH connector pin (bottom pin) to the ground wire coming off the top pin of the connector.

Keep us posted on your progress.[/
Thanks for the reply - I'll try it tonight before I stagger from party to party.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep us posted on your progress.

Well, the comparitor is hooked up. My son fashioned a chute, and we have been feeding dimes through it all day. We are having a large problem, though. We are using a clad dime as the reference coin, so the sliver dimes should be rejected. However, the silvers and half the clad coins are going into the reject bin, and half the clad coins are going into the accept bin. So then we feed the reject bin contents into the hopper, and we get the same thing - silvers and half the clads get rejected, and half of the clads which were rejected before are now accepted! We've tried monkeying around with the potentiometer, but that only marginally helps. Any ideas? By the way, thanks so much for taking the time out to help a fellow CRH.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
First you want a silver dime as the reference coin. This way the clad will roll down the gate. ( this way the solenoid doesn't work as hard). The gate will shift only when the wanted coin goes through the coils.

As for tuning the unit, there's not much to it. You can download the directions for it. One thing to remember is they say use a dc meter but you use an ac meter for tuning it. Or should I say the AC mode.

The pot on the front just loosens up the discrimination. Too tight you will miss silver. Too loose you will have to search through some clad. Error on the loose side you won't miss silver.

Novapax

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
jr98119,

Make sure your reference coin is seated against the side of the slot closest to the path of the coins passing through the comparitor. In another words, you want the reference coin against the back edge/surface of the slot it sits in.

When I started sorting dimes the comparitor was erratic, somewhat similar to what you are describing. I couldn't get the dime to stay against the back surface of the slot it was in. I finally folded a piece of plastic coin roll that the dimes come in and stuffed it into the slot. The folded plastic held the dime in place and cleared up the errattic sorting.

OP
OP
O63tihson

O63tihson

Greenie
Dec 28, 2012
North East Ga
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I'm still in need of help. I have a ton of 1/2's and a gazilian pennies to sort, with 3 different comparitor's and none of them want to work.
I have (2) CC-16's that the light wont even come on when I use the top post as a ground, and the one under it as a +.
I also have a MC-62 (inhlo)? that I wired this the same as the cc-16's but the 6th pin I return to the ground assuming that inhlo stands for inhibit. The light turns solid red only on this one, but it will not separate my coins.
I am using a AC/DC adapter with an output of 12 V DC 1 Amp. Where am I going wrong, or what should I be looking into? Any help is greatly appreciated!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you post a picture of the label on the CC-16? I re-read your first post in which you said it was a 12V comparitor. The pin outs I posted earlier are for a 13V Inhibit CC-16...sorry 'bout that. If your comparitor IS NOT a 13V Inhibit model it might have to be wired differently. I've never worked with a 12V model. The CMI test manual lists the following pin out for a 12V comparitor;
#1 (Top pin) Inhibit, tilt, or triac outout
#2 Sense (I don't think this is used)
#3 Credit (Don't use)
#4 +12V DC or 24V AC/DC
#5 +12V DC or 24V AC/DC
#6 Ground

According to the CMI test manual a MC-62 has a seven pin connection and is wired as follows;
#7 (Top pin) Inhibit
#6 +12V DC
#5 No connection
#4 Credit (Do Not Use)
#3 Tilt (Do Not Use)
#2 Sense ( I don't think you use this pin)
#1 Ground

OP
OP
O63tihson

O63tihson

Greenie
Dec 28, 2012
North East Ga
Primary Interest:
Other
BCD11, Thank you for the info! I will post a picture later tonight when I get some time to work on them again.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
suspicious names, talk of Comparators, I bet "063tihson" (i cant even rap that name), is actually brinks and his cohort BCD11, is dunbar. This is solid evidence that the coin carriers (Dunbar, Brinks, Garda, Loomis, others) are upping their silver culling efforts. The end of CRH is already here my homies

brinks_truck.jpg

dunbar-security.jpg

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
suspicious names, talk of Comparators, I bet "063tihson" (i cant even rap that name), is actually brinks and his cohort BCD11, is dunbar. This is solid evidence that the coin carriers (Dunbar, Brinks, Garda, Loomis, others) are upping their silver culling efforts. The end of CRH is already here my homies

brinks_truck.jpg

dunbar-security.jpg

LOL!! Good one 50cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions