sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done it before, they ask you to leave right away, lol. I didn't mean to carry it in, meant to take it off and leave it in my car.

Sucks, guess I'll have to become acquainted with some high quality "alternative" weapons.

You can get a permit, but you would probably have to be like chased by the mafia or something to get one. Even if you just have any guns, be wary that a newspaper recently published the names and addresses of LEGAL gun owners for "public safety."

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/ar...1011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood-

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm, actually, can any of you NYC'ers enlighten me on the gun laws of NYC? Here in PA, I can carry my gun pretty much anywhere I want (Outside of Philadelphia, that is), concealed or open, unless the establishment asks me to leave, lol.

You CANNOT carry a gun in NYC - period. Even us Westchester County permit holders cannot carry in NYC. You need a NYC permit - Good Luck!

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You CANNOT carry a gun in NYC - period.

You cannot get caught carrying a gun in NYC. I see a lot of people doing it on TV though. :dontknow::laughing9:

In regards to asinine laws such as those in place in the police state of NYC, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Congrats on the job. Good luck!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, actually, can any of you NYC'ers enlighten me on the gun laws of NYC? Here in PA, I can carry my gun pretty much anywhere I want (Outside of Philadelphia, that is), concealed or open, unless the establishment asks me to leave, lol.

:hello: Welcome to the "Big Apple" & HH. As far as the gun laws go in NY. The politicians in NYC (the mayor is a billionaire) are anti-2nd ammednment. The rest of the state they are not as bad as NYC. In NYC you need a permit for any type of a gun (handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc). Out side of NYC a permit is required for a handgun but is not required for any other gun. After what just happened in Conn, the anti-gun lobbey is making a lot of noise once again. A side note about hand guns outside of NYC. You can't just go & get a permit & register the gun with the permit. You have to get the permit first, if you have a gun you want to bring into NY, you have to have a gun store ship it to a gun dealer in NY who than can give the gun to you. Than you can register that gun. I'm not sure what the procedure is in NYC. This is a brief synopsis of the procedure you have to do to get a gun registered. New York State is more concerned about keeping law abiding citizens unarmed & unable to protect themselves than going after the bad guys.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moving back to the posts in the thread before the gun discussion, can someone explain the concept of "districts" to me? Are these Fed districts and, if so, how does that affect CRH'ing? Also was not sure there was any connection between Fed districts (if that's what they are) and the courier companies.

If there's a sticky on this I'm happy to look at it. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this, and what it means for CRH'ing.

Thanks

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Moving back to the posts in the thread before the gun discussion, can someone explain the concept of "districts" to me? Are these Fed districts and, if so, how does that affect CRH'ing? Also was not sure there was any connection between Fed districts (if that's what they are) and the courier companies.

If there's a sticky on this I'm happy to look at it. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this, and what it means for CRH'ing.

Thanks

It's the courier districts. If you live in District A, all coins in your district will be re-rolled, and sent to a bank in your district. The districts are logically centered in large cities (i.e. DC for us, NYC, Baltimore). It is only my educated guess that DC/Baltimore have one.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
the gun laws of NYC are amazing. You can't carry open OR concealed. They have basically stripped the rights to carry. read up on it, because people have gone through a lot of trouble for carrying in NYC. Serious. Find out about it. It is a different place than about anywhere except DC, which is also tough on carrying.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the courier districts. If you live in District A, all coins in your district will be re-rolled, and sent to a bank in your district. The districts are logically centered in large cities (i.e. DC for us, NYC, Baltimore). It is only my educated guess that DC/Baltimore have one.

Thanks for the info Sag, although I'm not sure what I do with it short of driving to pick up or dump in another district, which I'm not inclined to do. Two of my banks give me the same type of String boxes and rolls; I know which courier one uses but am not sure which courier the other uses. In any event, these boxes have been very skunky lately, not just in terms of a lack of Ag, but totally picked over without any NIFCs, proofs or other interesting stuff to be found. Another bank uses a different courier and provides different boxes and rolls, which seem to be better overall. I'll focus on the better source, but it could be a coincidence if the couriers are sharing coins.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I Live in NYC.. Here are the banks

PICKUP
M & T Bank
Chase Bank
(Sometimes) Citibank

DUMP
TD Bank (HATE THEM!!!!!) (HAVE AN ACCOUNT SO YOU CAN USE MACHINE FREE)
PNC Bank

-----

Sometimes some branches may give you a tough time, just move on (maybe you found a dump bank)

OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, what part of NYC? Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, etc...

Manhattan. My friend is gonna let me stay with him until I get myself situated. He's got an apartment on E 44th. Said it's only like 3/4 of a mile from the office.

OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Live in NYC.. Here are the banks

PICKUP
M & T Bank
Chase Bank
(Sometimes) Citibank

DUMP
TD Bank (HATE THEM!!!!!) (HAVE AN ACCOUNT SO YOU CAN USE MACHINE FREE)
PNC Bank

-----

Sometimes some branches may give you a tough time, just move on (maybe you found a dump bank)
I use TD to dump, so that's good... I use PNC for most of my pickups, though, but you use them as a dump? Do they all have machines up there?

matthewguitar

Feb 24, 2013
Manhattan, NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Manhattan. Some good pickings here.

TD Bank have awful service but are open late (good if you work in finance) and have the "penny arcade" dump machine.

Chase are really nice for pickup. Walked into a branch last year and there were some glinting silver half dollars someone just brought in.

I'm CRHing about 1 box of nickels and 1 box of pennies every week with pretty good results (39, 42, 43 and 4x 40 nickels this weekend). Hoping to order some more halves soon now that I've got friendlier with the local tellers.

Also on the gun topic, there is a range in Flatiron where you can shoot to your heart's content. Getting the permit is fairly annoying, but certainly do-able (im applying soon)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Also on the gun topic, there is a range in Flatiron where you can shoot to your heart's content. Getting the permit is fairly annoying, but certainly do-able (im applying soon)

The issue was bank safety, not leisure firing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread