Penny CRH?

Dreamsofpeace54

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of people keep the S mints (1968 - 1974) as they arent as common as the others.
Any other S mints on LMC would be proof coins and probably worth keeping as well.
2009 are also collected for their relatively low mintages and scarcity.
Some hoard copper (1959-1982, not all 82's are 95% copper though). These can sell for a small premium because of their copper content.

There are also some errors from these years (A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage) seems to be a good resource but other may have a better one.

Keep what you find interesting. The only cents i keep are wheats/indian heads/foreign

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
More than a small premium 50% return. Its not worth sorting though manually for copper though, and it takes longer than you'd expect even with a comparator

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Its not worth sorting though manually for copper though, and it takes longer than you'd expect even with a comparator

You mean it's not worth it for you to sort through manually. There are plenty of people on here who disagree...

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean it's not worth it for you to sort through manually. There are plenty of people on here who disagree...

Can u sell the copper on craigslist? The only reason I would search pennies is to make alil extra by selling

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sort manually while searching for wheats. It's not hard, just two bags to drop them into. Set the wheats/Canadian aside, use an empty coin box for the copper, put the non copper in my dump bag. No extra time involved, really.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love searching pennies, Finding old wheat pennies and odd coins is just fun period.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the 92 close am or 92cam an the wide am wam cents 98,99,00 easiest errors to find

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Took me six weeks form when I got my ryedale to when I sold enough pennies with enough profit to PAY for the Ryedale. true story. I can't say that about my White's MD. I've sold a lot since then, and am hoarding now, waiting for a hopeful rise again in prices, but I;m way ahead of the game. IN 2011, I calculated it that I was earninga bout $7 per hour from sorting, selling and dumping coppers. Not agreat, but that doesn't include the wheats or IH and it also comes form something that i ENJOY. Can't say I "make" money from golf, as it costs me money to play. So for those that say that is a low hourly wage - so what? It beats payng $90 for four hours of fun on the course. And having a machine that paid for itself in six weeks? Awesome!

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me six weeks form when I got my ryedale to when I sold enough pennies with enough profit to PAY for the Ryedale. true story. I can't say that about my White's MD. I've sold a lot since then, and am hoarding now, waiting for a hopeful rise again in prices, but I;m way ahead of the game. IN 2011, I calculated it that I was earninga bout $7 per hour from sorting, selling and dumping coppers. Not agreat, but that doesn't include the wheats or IH and it also comes form something that i ENJOY. Can't say I "make" money from golf, as it costs me money to play. So for those that say that is a low hourly wage - so what? It beats payng $90 for four hours of fun on the course. And having a machine that paid for itself in six weeks? Awesome!
How many boxes did u do per week?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other

Exactly, and I was saying it for advice to almost anyone with a sense of logic. If you sort through pennies, for copper ones manually, you have too much time on your hands. The longest part of sorting through a roll for me now, (for copper anyways) is unwrapping the roll. Its maddening looking through a pile of pennies sorting coppers and non-coppers; simply because there are so many coppers.

AG in halves,quarters,dimes take only seconds to open and see if their is AG or not. Copper, you basically need to dump all the pennies on the table and look at the dates. I'd like the people who actually sort copper pennies with their hands to chime in and tell me what exactly they intend to do with their hand sorted copper? I know there are people who disagree, but I doubt there are 'plenty' of them...

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like the people who actually sort copper pennies with their hands to chime in and tell me what exactly they intend to do with their hand sorted copper? I know there are people who disagree, but I doubt there are 'plenty' of them...

Same thing you intend to do, sell it when there is a buyer at a good price. It's a hobby for me, not a business. I'm not going to invest in a rye dale, I am still focusing on AG. The pennies are a way to pass time when I am out of other coins to search, or want to slow down the pace.

hellzpriest

Nov 6, 2012
Same thing you intend to do, sell it when there is a buyer at a good price. It's a hobby for me, not a business. I'm not going to invest in a rye dale, I am still focusing on AG. The pennies are a way to pass time when I am out of other coins to search, or want to slow down the pace.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I hand search pennies and i do it when silvers not available. Ive sold hand sorted coppers locally. Nothing but profit, ive thought about getting a machine and decided nah, it wod take the thrill away from me. I like looking at every coin. You never know what you might toss in a machine and give to a buyer.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made about $1000 in profit from hand sorting pennies in the past 18 months. I bought silver and gold with the money I made while watching TV with my wife. I also found a lot of coins for my two Dansco penny albums.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
1-50-Cent-Laugh-Off.gif

well suckas, you go ahead and hand sort them cents, Ill be in the fast lane

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand sorting allows for the collection of all errors and San Fran mint marks. A machine can't do either of those

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was specificly reffering to hand sorting copper cents to non-coppers, the idea of doing it simply on the basis of copper content, makes absolutely no-cents to me

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More than a small premium 50% return. Its not worth sorting though manually for copper though, and it takes longer than you'd expect even with a comparator

Fitty is right, you can turn a nice profit on the copper. He's right again about how long it takes. BUT if you are doing it anyway might as well keep the copper n slang it online for a nice grip of cash.

I use a sorting machine but I still have to hand-feed them in. Way faster than date checking, way slower than a ryedale. If you are into cents and you want to find wheats and IH you might as well set the copper aside. If you are doing it just for copper, get a machine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread