Odd 2006D penny reverse

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Hello folks,
I'm in the middle of hunting a box of pennies, but thought I would post a pic of a 2006D reverse.
Take a look at the 'E' in 'AMERICA' -- there is a hole between the 2nd and 3rd crossbars of the 'E'. It is quite noticeable under magnification, but doesn't show up quite as well on the scan.

I don't think it's a delamination error. Is it a planchet error or a strike error?

Thanks in advance and HH,
Bob

Attachments

• 2006D penny with hole on reverse in E.jpg
    2006D penny with hole on reverse in E.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
OP
OP
HobBob

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Sorry Joe about the scanner pic quality; it's the highest resolution that I can make with the darned thing. The 'hole' is a flat semi-circular depression, maybe a few thousandths deep, with distinct, sharp walls. I'm sure it's not worth anything, just a curiosity. I was just trying to figure out how it was made. I don't know if it happened during the striking process or not.... I suppose it could also be a planchet error.
I have to admit that there's so much that I don't know about coin collecting yet - but I'm learning!
In the mean time, thanks for taking a look. Hope your Christmas is grand!
HH,
Bob

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I will offer this advise. When it comes to seeing detail in scans of coins, I suggest you use you photo editing software and select the negative image of the coin, that cuts the glare and gives you a more consistant surface to review. Might want to try it on this one. The picture I use with my postings is a negative view of a nickle.

Good luck, HH and a very Merry Christmas to you.

OP
OP
HobBob

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Thanks, Joe.
I will see if any of the programs I have will let me do this. In particular, I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X, and I suspect that it will probably do the job for me.
HH,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread