Shorted in boxes.

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
On Friday I picked up 4 boxes which were complete skunks. On top of the lack of silver, they were 25 coins short, with many rolls of 19 or 18 spread among the boxes. Also, many rolls contained complete rolls of 2001-P circulated coins. I was there when brinks dropped off, so I know that they weren't returns. Any idea on how this happens, or do you have a similar story?

Upvote 0

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machines mess up sometimes, and I am guessing there are issues with the calibration of the equipment at the coin sorting facility. Record the stamp number on the box of coins (if you still have it) and report it to the bank and/or carrier. They might reimburse if there was a reported issue with their equipment, but don't hold your breath. Good luck!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machines mess up sometimes, and I am guessing there are issues with the calibration of the equipment at the coin sorting facility. Record the stamp number on the box of coins (if you still have it) and report it to the bank and/or carrier. They might reimburse if there was a reported issue with their equipment, but don't hold your breath. Good luck!

Do this. You might or might not get reimbursed, but the bank should notify the courier that their machine needs recalibrating.

OP
OP
da1984

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
Weaselbrott said:

I did report it to the bank, however, my brinks boxes never have stamps on them at all. What am I to make of the 30 or so solid rolls of circulated 2001-p coins; this just doesnt seem possible if these went through the normal channels?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did report it to the bank, however, my brinks boxes never have stamps on them at all. What am I to make of the 30 or so solid rolls of circulated 2001-p coins; this just doesnt seem possible if these went through the normal channels?

It is entirely normal. There is no conspiracy. Just a lot of 2001's got delivered from the fed.
HH
enamel7

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a box that had all 1977 and I think it was 1988 coins in it, nothing else, all ashy and hard packed into the rolls. I got another box like that months later. I have been short a roll of dimes once in a sealed box, part of playing the game. You make more than you lose so might as well suck it up.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard of people being shorted on here, I've done hundreds if boxes and never been short if they are MWR's, now I have been shorted a couple of coins on repack dumps, but that's it. HH, Maverick.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i've gotten solid boxes of every year from 1995,96,98,99, and 2000. I've hunted about 50 boxes in my life. I guess it just happens.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the same thing happened to me today I got shorted 1 coin per roll from short and sons

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You might have reached the "bottom of the pallet". There were skunks back then too.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yesterday I got a sealed box of dimes, with 2 different wrappers in the box... no keepers either!! argh

Out of the 60ish box of dimes ive done, this is the first time they ever had mixed wrappers inside a box. Had about 35 green/white HF strings wrappers(which is what these type of boxes always have), and about 15 brown/green wrappers

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Funny how things change, as a few months ago I also posted about being shorted coins in the boxes. One after the other were coming up short, some a few but some boxes were 24 coins short, some a few less all from the same bank and all within a month or so. Members here told me to suck it up, that is the way it goes, part of the game. I was telling the bank but not expecting them to do anything about it and they didn't. But they did start having me open the boxes in front of the manager to check for short rolls before I left with the boxes and we found many. He would then go and get me the money difference we were short and said once he could see the shortage before the box left the bank he would contact the carrier to inform them. Funny how the shortages stopped. I would let the branch manager know that there is a problem and see if he/she can help. Worst thing is they say too bad, best case they get the issue resolved.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember being shorted by Brinks MWR but Loomis MWR is often short. Not that much, but I've lost $5-10. Sometimes Loomis is over too, but only once has the entire box been over ($0.50) -- other times there was a roll with $10.50 or $11.00 but rolls with $9.50 that made the total box have $500.00 or less.

I now weigh every roll from Loomis before opening it to make sure it's around 225 grams. If it's 215 I don't open it.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. But since I don't measure the length of the roll, I don't know for sure there is a half missing. There could be a lot of worn halves and halves with holes drilled that cause the roll to weigh less.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. But since I don't measure the length of the roll, I don't know for sure there is a half missing. There could be a lot of worn halves and halves with holes drilled that cause the roll to weigh less.

You could miss out on silver though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions