The Truth About Dimes : THEY SUCK

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone, just wanted to let you know that dimes have been putting me in the neighborhood of skunksville.

7 Dunbar boxes- 1 AG dime over the past five weeks
Brinks 5 boxes - 1 AG dime
Unknown boxes (likely loomis) 8 boxes, 2 dimes.

DIMES SUCK

They are not as good as people claim, and with more and more people hunting they will continue to get worse. IF you have any stories of how bad dimes have been for you, please post them here. I've had better averages with quarters even.... PLEASE Do yourself a favor and up the amount of halves you can get instead of dwelling in the fictional realm of dimes

Upvote 0

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right fifty, i find more silver on the ground then in those raggity hopeless boxes, this week 3 skunked boxes alone, dimes just aren't worth it PERIOD!

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
AND NOT TO MENTION, all modern high speed cummins machines miscount dimes as pennies, so its either rolling them or find a bank with an older slower rail coin sorter (such as Scan coin)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still chugging along here at about 2 per box. slow, but steady

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg, I say it once and I'll say it again, the time and money it takes to get dimes boxes would be less/counterproductive than to just buy the dimes based on how much silva you find

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND NOT TO MENTION, all modern high speed cummins machines miscount dimes as pennies, so its either rolling them or find a bank with an older slower rail coin sorter (such as Scan coin)

Guess I must be lucky, I don't know what brand they are but the bank around these parts seems to be of the "rail type." It's essentially a conveyer belt that feeds in a few handfuls at a time, into a bin inside of the machine with a spinning wheel that continuously rotates, and picks up the coins and sends them down a "rail", which then lands them in the correct box

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I must be lucky, I don't know what brand they are but the bank around these parts seems to be of the "rail type." It's essentially a conveyer belt that feeds in a few handfuls at a time, into a bin inside of the machine with a spinning wheel that continuously rotates, and picks up the coins and sends them down a "rail", which then lands them in the correct box

Correct!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be massive increase in competition has decreased the finds. MI Hunter does well with dimes. Have you gone through $50,000 or $100,000 in dimes yet?

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
2,000 coin rollas today, 5,000 tomorrow, 0 the next day homie. and we're getting closer and closer to zero

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all depends where you are from. For me dimes are easy to obtain and easy to get rid of. However if you are driving all over the place trying to find boxes of dimes , and only able to get 1 box, and you are in it for the silver then i would say EM is right just buy them

CaliShawnNokc

Dec 30, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/9in coil
Whites MXT PRO w/DD 6x10
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at about $1000 so far for dimes and I've pulled 5. The numbers suck! I think the reason is because the more an more tellers are learning about our hobby the more they jack the dimes they have in their coin caddy. They use them all day long and they are easy to spot! I personally like nickels, but they are getting to be just as bad for me. I'm thinking of switching to pennies just to look for rare dates and errors. They will pull more profit than the silver for dimes at this point!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend more money in gas then what I yield from my silver dimes!!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 in dimes... $20 on gas, $175 for the optometrist and eye glasses after nearly going blind looking at them and found an 84 Canadian dime worth 9.8 cents. Could have had a few rolls of silver if I had just went to the LCS and bought them straight up. Searching dollar bills produces more AG.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO nearly going blind is right, even with a nice loop your still cross eyed at the end of the night oh yeah and your fingers feel like hell.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg this hobby is breakin me man. got paper cuts all over my fingers and nearly broke three of my toes dropping a half dollar roll on my feet. my hospital bills are more expensive than my net silver value!!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you gotta wear yellow dish gloves, thats the trick but even still your hands get sweaty and i start droppin coins like crazy. Yellow dish gloves and a knife and you got yourself a clad party.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I work nickels because they are cheaper than dimes per box and if you get a dollars face value of coinage, you make more with nickels than dimes, over an ounce worth of silver. Thursday I plan on getting a box of nickels when I go into town. Have to do paperwork for my mother's survivor benefits via social security. I hope she gets something. She gets about 1000 for disability and its just barely covers her medical costs even with what insurance we can scrounge up. With all the stress of taking care of her, and work, the only fun I get is from looking for silver and writing/reading. Try working nickels for the while and see what you get. If anything if you find buffalos, put them on Ebay or craigslist and I heard people snap them up like candy.

Sincerely, Garoulady

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i refuse to dump my dimes in cummins coin sorters anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread