Diverwannabe is on vacation for 2 weeks!

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
This is going to be my post section for the next 2 weeks. I made it home this morning, and I already had the itch to hit up the banks. I stopped at about 5 or 6 banks on the way home from the airport. I must say there is a HUGE difference between Minnesota and South Carolina thats for sure. Each bank I hit up had atleast 100 to 400 halves and I came home with 3 canvas bags which I can really use! Here are my finds for day 1!

40% - 15
1964 - 3
76S - 1

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
J

jblavit

What part of Minnesota are you in?

I live in Minnesota too. I wonder if we will be eating up eachother supplies? Did you go to banks in bloomington on your way home from the airport?

T

TreasureTales

Geez, you coin roll guys are really doing well. It would take me a lifetime to dig up that many good halves. You find them in just one day!!! Sheesh, amazing. I guess I'm a bit envious. ;)

OP
OP
diverwannabe

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
Hey jblavit no worries I flew into the Rochester airport so I was no where near Bloomington. I am taking my little sister up to the mall of america but our chances of crossing areas is quite slim. I am more interested in small banks anyways. I was wearing my nice airport clothes when I walked into my first bank. All of the female in the bank were grinning ear to ear. I asked the teller if she had any halves. I told her that I wanted to buy all of her halves. She came out with a canvas bag with 400 loose halve and told me that she loved me LOL. I was laughing all the way out of the bank. I hit up a bank in Elkton which is a very small town. Ofcourse I get alot of questions whenever I am buying halves especially in a small town. I told the teller and the bank manager about how I had just flew in from South Carolina looking for halves on the way to my parents house. They were amazed that I was in MN for less than 30 mins and there I was standing at their counter buying up all their halves. They wished me luck and off I went with another canvas bag off to the next small town. They said they had some IKEs too but they wouldn't sell them too me. I found out that people are selling IKEs on ebay for a premium so I am going to start looking for those too! Well thats all for now HH!

OP
OP
diverwannabe

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
Day 2 here in Minnesota has yielded once again some nice finds. I turned in my 1100.00 in halves today and picked up almost 2000.00!

Grand totals for today:

40% - 15
1964 - 2
1941 walker - 1
1960 franklin - 1
1965 silver canadian half!

not too shabby I will be rinsing and repeating tomorrow!

Attachments

• day2.jpg
    day2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 248
T

TreasureTales

Awesome, awesome, awesome. My bank doesn't even know what a half is. They think I want half of a roll of quarters. I'm not kidding. "Have you got any boxes of halves?" I asked the teller. "I don't think so, all of our rolls are for $10.00" she replies. I said, "No, I mean rolls of half dollars." She says, "half dollar rolls, like you mean 2 quarters per roll?" I gave a loud harrumph and walked out.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds bud! How are you turning your coin back in? Just going to a random bank with them all rolled back up or what?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, ok, I was wondering how you were getting rid of so much so quickly! Sometimes when I have to pay my parents back on a loan or something I'll give them 1k in halves to get them out of my area, haha.

Keep up the good work bud!

OP
OP
diverwannabe

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
Well I finally had the opportunity to get back out today! I bought a few halves before Christmas hit, but I didn't find much. I was in Prior Lake, MN hit up 2 banks and said someone came in and bought up all the halves they had! Was that someone on this site?! :) Anyways I decided to hit up the small town banks in Northern Iowa today. Here are my finds for today:

40%-40
1963 Franklin
1954 Franklin

I am going to cash my halves in and pick another direction to head out tomorrow! HH

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 181

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be me in Prior lake just before XMas. 8)

Only 1 bank there that had anything to speak of though. Out of $440 had 6 - 40% and 1 - 90% and 107 - 2002+.

Since Prior Lake only has a few banks I am sure it was the same one.

Although, I had someone at their other branch just down the road say a customer always buys all their halves so they had none.

OP
OP
diverwannabe

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
I didn't have much luck at all finding halves period when I was in the twin cities. Small town banks are definately where its at! I went to this tiny bank yesterday and they had 1000.00 LOL. I don't think I will be going anywhere near the cities again unless I take my lil sister to the Mall of America.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the small town banks. A couple of months back I stopped at a bank in a small town on the way to my moms place and they had a few loose, then they asked me how much I wanted. I asked how much u talking about, and they said $1000, and it seemed a little tenatively like they wanted me to take them but didn't think I would because it would probably be too many. You should have seen their faces when I said "trot them out, I will take them". I netted only a couple of 90% but that bag had over 250 40% coins. Jackpot. It turns out they have a counting machine there and this bag was from that. I got a business card from them and keep in contact to find out when they will have another $1000 bag. As I spend a good chunk of my halves, needless to say I do not spend any in that town when I go up to visit the kinfolk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread