How did you start doing CRH?

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started years ago working at a gas station, i would trade out wheats in the register for memorial pennies. One day i opened up a CWR that had been dropped off the day previous and a three cent nickel was in it. I though wtf is that? I honestly thought it was italian or something, traded my dime for it and stuck it in my pocket. I was pleasantly surprised when i went out for my smoke break and found it was from the 1880's. I was hooked after that and bought a dollar or two at every gas station i went to for a long time. I don't do it much anymore and accidentally traded in a bunch of coins i should have kept but If i ever make it back home i plan on doing it again.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To help buy our house, actually.

I had an Ike dollar. I looked it up to see its value, ended up on Coinflation, saw some coins were silver, and started ordering boxes. I did pretty well, sold some (and some of them I should have kept! Like a 70D half!) and kept ordering. Got cut off at a few places, changed up my game, now doing pretty well with picking up/dumping.

My idea was that the bank account was earning next to nothing, so why not try and increase that? Numbers definitely aren't as good anymore. I used to pull several 90's a box.

Haven't sold anything except 40's since. Now I'm collecting.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started from reading this forum. I joined in Aug. to research and get advise on metal detectors. I was browsing the categories and was intrigued by the title. I started reading and got hooked. By Nov. I freed the funds and time to do and have been enjoying it ever since. Even got the kids and on occasion my wife involved.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working at a grocery store i noticed silver coins in the rolls for the registers, so i figured why not go get my own rolls, i actually didnt know so many people did it already

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually heard, on the radio, that someone was willing to pay something like $20,000 dollars or more for a 1943 copper penny. I started looking into why it was worth so much, learned a lot about US coins and just got hooked. I've been looking through the change I get at stores and such for the last few months and decided that it wasn't enough. Just sort of started picking up rolls of coins at banks and here I am.

The funny thing is - I think my Grandma has been trying, for the last few years, to get her grand kids into coin collecting by getting us mint sets of state quarters as they come out. This has been going on since the state quarters started and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that's actually gotten interested in collecting and, here's the kicker, I didn't even remember the state quarters until after I started collecting(it wasn't even her efforts that got me interested). Now, of course, I'm looking forward to pulling them out of their box and dusting them off.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually heard, on the radio, that someone was willing to pay something like $20,000 dollars or more for a 1943 copper penny. I started looking into why it was worth so much, learned a lot about US coins and just got hooked. I've been looking through the change I get at stores and such for the last few months and decided that it wasn't enough. Just sort of started picking up rolls of coins at banks and here I am.

The funny thing is - I think my Grandma has been trying, for the last few years, to get her grand kids into coin collecting by getting us mint sets of state quarters as they come out. This has been going on since the state quarters started and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that's actually gotten interested in collecting and, here's the kicker, I didn't even remember the state quarters until after I started collecting(it wasn't even her efforts that got me interested). Now, of course, I'm looking forward to pulling them out of their box and dusting them off.

Those are a good start, and if they're silver, you're off to a really good start! Proof + silver value!

bdrilling5

Jan 4, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are a good start, and if they're silver, you're off to a really good start! Proof + silver value!

Yeah, I don't think they're silver or proofs. I think they're just regular state quarters that were taken before circulation and packaged in pairs of two. To be honest, I'm not even sure they're a one-from-each-mint kind of thing. I haven't looked at them in years. I'm excited to find out though, now that I know a lot more about what I'm looking at.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

My parents did the same thing, and my collecting also didn't start from the state quarters.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a teen and was already collecting. I heard about these brothers named Hunt, and how they were buying up silver. They wanted 90% silver and better. Silver was approaching $50 an oz. I started buying rolls of dimes, quarters and halves from the bank. Was hard pressed to find 90%'ers back then, and the 40% I threw back.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out by collecting the state quarters. I had like 12 of them in pocket and I thought hey I could get all these no problem. Bought a book and started searching rolls. Now I have like 12 books and an obsession with coin.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into metal detecting in the wrong season. I had a wll to find treasure for "free" by digging it up, but the cold weather quickly gave me an ice mustache and froze my beard. I saw a related video on YouTube off of a metal detecting video of this kid and a drawer full of nickles and he was very excited. He was CRH'ing. I found this website and the CRH'ing section. It looked cool and I could also stay warm. so off to the bank I go to buy halves. scored 18-20 halves on the first box and a little less than 20 oz found in the wild and was hooked deep I swallowed that hook an still cant get rid of it.

It was 60 yesterday and the park gave up 1.37 in clad 1 flattened cent and 1 bent in half cent as well as several cans, can tops, bottle tops, pop tabs and 2 pieces of glass.

Its all called treasure when you hunt for it!

Last edited:

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually saw a video of a guy hunting dimes on this website I visit occasionally called bestofyoutube.com. I couldn't believe some coins actually had silver in them. So I started researching and reading this forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions