What is the best way to get coins out of the rolls?

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started CRHing I would only do one box at a time so I would just break the rolls by hand. Once I got a little farther along and started looking through more than one box in a sitting, I would smack the wrapped coins with something in order to push a few coins through the side and thus break the wrapping. This presents the obvious problem of putting dings into otherwise nice coins... :BangHead: I am considering trying to use a box cutter to cut one of the crimped ends of a roll: is that a good idea?:icon_scratch: I might be going about this completely wrong and would appreciate some advice...???

Upvote 0

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with maverick on this one.. Coins are absolutely filthy and covered with germs.. There have even been studies done that showed most of the coins had fecal bacteria on them.. I am hesitant even getting them close to my face when I am edge checking.. But biting a roll has to not only be horrible for your teeth but will definitely heighten your chances of getting extremely sick.. I am not telling you what to do, but I don't think that is a good idea buddy..

I have bit open over 40 thousand rolls with no adverse side effects. At this point, I'd be a lot more worried about either cutting myself with a razor or scissors, or losing coins due to them flying everywhere when I smash rolls open. I do sometimes wonder if there's a better alternative to my method, but I haven't found it yet.

OP
OP
Nydus Touch

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I have bit open over 40 thousand rolls with no adverse side effects. At this point, I'd be a lot more worried about either cutting myself with a razor or scissors, or losing coins due to them flying everywhere when I smash rolls open. I do sometimes wonder if there's a better alternative to my method, but I haven't found it yet.

I have definitely lost a few coins over board using the ol' hulk smash. :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with maverick on this one.. Coins are absolutely filthy and covered with germs.. There have even been studies done that showed most of the coins had fecal bacteria on them.. I am hesitant even getting them close to my face when I am edge checking.. But biting a roll has to not only be horrible for your teeth but will definitely heighten your chances of getting extremely sick.. I am not telling you what to do, but I don't think that is a good idea buddy..
I agree i just started ...But i do what i see some turnpike toll takers do ... I wear surgical rubber gloves...And for now i just push the coins out one end so i can use the same wrappers to rewrap them....

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my pocket knife, go across one of the end coins and dig into the far edge of the wrapper, and slice the remaining paper off, and poke out the other side with thumb/finger into my palm... (make sure knife isnt facing you) lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread