Just getting started

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
I collected coins as a kid and lost my coin collection in a move when I was 19. I just started collecting again and have become obsessed with accumulating silver. I just started coin roll hunting and I love it. I am a grad student with 3 kids so I don't have much money to spare so I primarily search penny rolls right now. I have found a couple wheaties so far and today I actually found a 1999 dime in a roll of pennies. I like to search nickels because I like to find old ones (no buffs or v's yet) and I would love to find some war nickels. I can't afford to buy a whole box right now so I just pick up two or three rolls at a time. After looking through other posts it seems like war nickels are rarely found. Is that true?

I know I'm rambling but I went to the coin shop today and got super excited when I was looking through the $2.00 bargain bin and found 10 barber and seated liberty dimes. They aren't in good shape but I was super excited so I bought them all. I'm super excited about it and my wife didn't seem to care too much so I just wanted to post it and at least tell someone that might get excited about it.

Sorry for the long pointless post but I'm super excited to have found a community of coin roll hunters. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the community! You got a great deal for those barbers and seated liberties! As far as the war nickels, the average seems to be 0.5-1 war nickel per box for me. But I have not taken the time into nickels as much as others, although nickels are my favorite to look through. Some people have found some great finds with minimal money for coin roll hunting. Hopefully you can get some decent finds!

OP
OP
F

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I found a 1997 s proof penny in a roll of pennies two days ago. I was super excited about it.

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
fixxxer9 said:
Thanks. I found a 1997 s proof penny in a roll of pennies two days ago. I was super excited about it.

Nice! I have yet to find a proof of any denomination and I've been at this hobby for 6 months now.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find 1 war nickel per 1.5-1.75 boxes searched. Buffalo nickels about every 2.75 boxes and Vs every 20 boxes, roughly.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the site! Hope you get some great finds!! This hobby takes some perseverance and it sounds like you're in for the long haul.

Happy Hunting

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome! I am looking forward to hearing your finds from many many searches in the future!
hh
buff

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck in the CRH ventures.

Last box of nickles for me gave up 1 war nickle and 5 canadians

OP
OP
F

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to get some boxes of something with my tax returns. I think I will get a box of nickels and a couple boxes of pennies just for starters and see how it goes.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! Cents are fun, you will find something good 99% of the time. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread