This beginner is meek but happy =)

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am slowly getting involved in Coin Roll Hunting, and having a great time so far!!
Thanks to some great reports/results you guys and girls have posted, I have been getting intrigued with Kennedy half dollars. Well now I have some! I'm sure that if I was more bold about talking with tellers, I could have gotten these sooner, but at least I have them now! =) Here is how it went:

BANK#1
Me: Do you have any half dollars?
Teller: No, we don't have those.

BANK#2
Teller: We only have what customers bring in, and right now I don't have any at all. *turn around* Does anyone have halfs right now? *hears answer - turns back to me* She has 11, would you like them?
Me: Sure, thanks!

BANK#3
Teller: Yeah I have $3.50 worth right here.
Me: Great, thank you!
Teller: Ummmm....so...how many were you looking for?
Me: Whatever you have!
Teller: Well, we do have this big bag that was going back to the mint. Would you like some of them?
Me: I would like them all!

FINALLY =)

Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can't wait to hear the results! Hope you have some great finds!!!

HH

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y'all :) I have not even gotten the chance to open the bag yet, but the minute I get home, supper will be forgotten, and my table will be filled with coins!!

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The waiting sometimes is the best part. Because you could he skunked or not. Who knows. The possibilities are endless. Its an amazing feeling.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meek is a good way to enter the hobby. After you build relationships with tellers, it will get a lot easier to ask for coins and make requests. Welcome to the hobby and HH.

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thorne, yes I'm happy just thinking about what I might find! =D

Wilmingtonsilver, thanks! I would like to get (and then STAY) on good terms with those tellers!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a great relationship with my teller. he is willing to order as many boxes as I want. The problem is that he looks for silver too... so no drawer finds for me.

miamilatin

Jul 19, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! I just started out CRH also! I started with pennies though and will work my way up to the big boys soon. :tongue3: At my bank I got an odd look when I asked for $25 in pennies lol But like everyone says I hope it does get easier and maybe they`ll save some old or odd coins once they get to know me. Can`t wait to see what you find! HH! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dajapooh, awesome, that is still pretty good for you :)

miamilatin, thanks! I hope you have great beginner's luck too =D

ramprat

Jan 18, 2013
Thorne said:
The waiting sometimes is the best part. Because you could he skunked or not. Who knows. The possibilities are endless. Its an amazing feeling.

Every time I ask for half dollars they tell here out.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that even when I get skunked I'm happy to have it behind me knowing I'm that much closer to my next score...welcome aboard, Graceful!

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus not to mention only in this hobby do you pay money for boxes and at te end you even if you reek of skunk your still even

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wound up with 5 that were 40% silver (there were 368 coins)! And a nice variety of dates to go into a folder! =)

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Graceful said:
Well I wound up with 5 that were 40% silver (there were 368 coins)! And a nice variety of dates to go into a folder! =)

Congrats!!! That's the start of many more to come.

HH

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I hope so! Now I need to find another bag from a bank!....

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything from the teller trays? Also, the bag was going to go to the coin courier, not the Mint. The Mint only makes new coins, they don't circulate them. I always heard tellers talk about the Fed, but not the Mint.

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No silver from those 11 coins I got from a teller.
The next time I went to the "we don't have half-dollars" bank, I got the same answer.
The next time I went to the "we have 11 half dollars" bank, they just had one (but I got it)
I haven't been to the bank I got the bag from, because it's in a different town. And that makes sense about the coins not going back to the mint! haha! Thanks! =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread