I got $5,000 in halves first ever.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gentlemen, I made a tread a few days ago on this being my new hobby and asked a few simple questions, after reading old treads I gave 50 Cent pieces a try I ordered $5000 worth between two banks and they seemed to have no problem, my wife has an account at a bank that uses brinks so I will return them there have been using my account at chase to purchase the coins which uses another company I looked through all 10 boxes (they come in boxes) and found 6 90% I noticed that if I am carefull I can re use the rolls and box the coins come in so I have been repacking them me bringing them to a different bank.

This is a great way to make some money and is a great site I am going to do $10,000 next week.

Upvote 0

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What area are you in? Just curious to see if you are close enough to me to ruin the hobby for me. That volume that quickly will quickly get you and every other CRHer in your area shut down.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Careful with not over ordering and over dumping or you can realistically get cut off or start hearing nonsense about fees.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Wilmingtonsilver said:
What area are you in? Just curious to see if you are close enough to me to ruin the hobby for me. That volume that quickly will quickly get you and every other CRHer in your area shut down.

You think 5k is a large amount that will shut you down? You must not see some of the other members post about what they do in volume each week.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I will pass on the advice of spreading those dumps around. Dropping at several banks is key to this hobby.

After a few years of this hobby, I have learned that dump banks are just as important, if not more, than the pick up banks.

Good Luck--
MU

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You missed the next part after I said that amount which was that quickly. The members on here who do large volumes have cultivated those volumes and relationships with those banks over time, not just show up one day and order $5k and then the next week order $10k. In his first post he said that he wanted to do up to $35k. All the responses to that post were to take it slow. Obviously he doesn't really want advice. I am just wondering how many other CRHers he will destroy the hobby for in his area when all the banks cut everyone off because of him. This isn't an attack against the OP, just a word of caution about growing too fast too quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Digesting a common clad
Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly I'm not trying to deliberately destroy anybody, this hobby seems like Everyman for himself(I bought a book on coin roll hunting), and a google search brung me here,but I've "spread" my returns out pretty well (I'm returning boxes in N.J) I do no more then 2 boxes a bank with returns and am planning on doing no more then 4 boxes bought at another

I mean no harm to anyone I just want a slice of the cake.

Last edited:

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't reuse wrappers and boxes. They'll just tape them back up and send them to me or some other CRHer. Get new wrappers and carry them to the bank in a bag or pillow case.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the beginners luck buddy.. Hopefully there will be more good days ahead for you.. :thumbsup: But you should really listen closely to the people on this forum, because many of them have been doing this for years and years.. There is more info and help on this site than you will EVER find in that book you bought, I promise you.. Firstly.. Please do not re-roll your halves in the same wrappers.. You can literally go on amazon spend 8 dollars and get 2000 wrappers or you can even ask for them at the bank and they should give them to you for free. You will understand why we are saying this if you begin to step up your volume and start seeing re-rolled and repacked half dumps.. It is very frustrating and basically you are creating a whole mess of wasted time for other hunters and yourself who will be searching re-packed dumps.. It is your decision, but I would never personally use the same wrappers, especially If i am searching high volume.. Secondly, It sounds like you are spreading out your dumps which is absolutely the best thing to do. You have to remember that this is an "odd" hobby to the normal population and they will literally be looking for reasons to cut you off until you begin to build a good relationship with them... (Cookies, cupcakes and Candy always helps with that) the rule of thumb that Maverick brought up, who is a high volume hunter, is no more than $2000 in dumps at one branch... With you just starting the hobby, i think 1000 is a good place to start but that is up to you.. Thirdly, Like we said in your last post, many high volume hunters have been working for A LONG TIME to build up the credibility and capability to order the 35k you were discussing searching weekly.. Do what you wish, but bumping up your orders after one week is a BIG no no in my opinion and will probably get you cut off very quickly (especially with Chase bank which is infamous for closing people's accounts).. You have to look at it from their eyes.. It is a lot of work and strain on their bank and couriers.. When I was searching higher volume in halves awhile back, i would move up in two box increments every 2-3 months.. I started at branches by ordering 2 and then eventually after 6-9 months was ordering 6 boxes when i had a good relationship built up with them.. You need to become a familiar face before you start annoying them with all that heavy lifting from the vault.. I know there are a few members on here who order 8 boxes from one branch, but I know they have phenomenal relationships with their banks that they built for months if not years.. You need to be extremely patient in stepping up your volume, because if you start stepping up your orders by thousands at numerous branches in just a few weeks, you will have red flags all over your account and your fun will end quickly.. You can choose to believe what I and other members are saying to you or choose to ignore it, but you will probably regret it in the future.. Either way.. I hope your future hunting goes well and you find many keepers..

AdDicted2Ag

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And you are correct it is every man for themselves, but that does not mean that there should not be a little bit of common courtesy. In the end, you doing some of the things suggested, and in turn not creating a scenario where you may possibly "ruin it" for somebody else, you are really also protecting this hobby for your own self as well. You always have to remember, this hobby lives and dies with the cooperation of the banks. It is worth the extra effort, or maybe even a smaller order volume to establish relationships that may allow for you to CRH for years and eventually get to the volume that you desire without burning any bridges. Just because this a fun little hobby, does not mean that it is an effortless or thoughtless endeavor.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digest
Welcome and congrats on your finds. How many total hours (including driving and bank time) did it take you to search and reroll 10 boxes?
V

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No 40%? make sure you didnt overlook them. On second tnought leave them for me

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gentlemen, I made a tread a few days ago on this being my new hobby and asked a few simple questions, after reading old treads I gave 50 Cent pieces a try I ordered $5000 worth between two banks and they seemed to have no problem, my wife has an account at a bank that uses brinks so I will return them there have been using my account at chase to purchase the coins which uses another company I looked through all 10 boxes (they come in boxes) and found 6 90% I noticed that if I am carefull I can re use the rolls and box the coins come in so I have been repacking them me bringing them to a different bank.

This is a great way to make some money and is a great site I am going to do $10,000 next week.

shake. my. head.

Firstly I'm not trying to deliberately destroy anybody, this hobby seems like Everyman for himself(I bought a book on coin roll hunting), and a google search brung me here,but I've "spread" my returns out pretty well (I'm returning boxes in N.J) I do no more then 2 boxes a bank with returns and am planning on doing no more then 4 boxes bought at another

I mean no harm to anyone I just want a slice of the cake.

You are going to ruin other people's "hobby" with the money making "scheme" you're running. While we all want to get silver, there are some rules of decorum here. You're going to find enemies pretty quickly, in tellers, banks, and crh'ers if you don't play by the rules.

NOW can we agree that even though executed horribly, OnARoll made a pretty good point about the direction of this hobby?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have that much money to work with you should try dumping in bags, PNC and BoA usually accept deposits of coins in bags without charging a fee. That way when the coins get sent off they have to be rerolled and boxed and will possibly get mixed with silver coins from other sources (CoinStar, Penny Arcades, etc.), instead of your dumped boxes just coming back to you (or another CRHer).

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hotrod said:
Do u keep 40%?

Shh;-)

Good luck with that volume of dumps.

Please dont rewrap in the same wrappers. Is that tactic in the book?

Happy hunting! Do it for the love not the money add up all the time and gas and you're making less than min. Wage..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy yourself! Get it while the gettin's good.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do it your own way man... these people dont know jack!!

*sarcasm off*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread