Tips on developing bank ties for CRHing

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read through all the getting started FAQs and have been dabbling a little at banks I have accounts with have picked up primarily penny boxes, and dabbled getting one halves box. I am amazed by the amount of grief a reliable customer gets for these simple requests when asked with a friendly attitude. Definitely not a hobby for the shy or people wanting to fit in (no worries there).
Theoretically its only asking for the boxes so I'm not giving attitude, only getting max 1-2 boxes at a time, and don't drop coins off at the bank I pick up from (use TD or Coinstar for that (yeah free amazon ecerts)

So leads to my questions/looking for advice:
Is this typical experience?

What have you done to help make the pickups easier/more routine?

Do you do a sitdown with someone at the bank to try to build a regular pickup schedule/order to be less disruptive and improve chances of getting what you want?

How often are you visiting your main bank(s) and does more frequent help or hurt?

I am hearing a lot of we don't order halves when I ask. Is this common? Some chains better than others here?

Appreciate the next level advice I have been dabbling but would like to maybe move to 1 box of halves and 2-3 boxes of pennies a week if it works out, truly hobby levels I even am ok to break even/lose a little money given the time and gas involved.

Upvote 0

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My typical experience is that it is fairly easy for banks to order coin for me on a weekly basis. I do get cut off at banks occasionally, but there are so many banks I can order from that it's not a big deal.

I usually just ask if they can order the same coins again for me next week each time I pick up.

Many banks do not order halves, but you can still get other denominations from them.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my 3+ years CRHing has taught me anything its that there is no such thing as "a typical experience." My experiences have varied greatly from bank to bank. Different branches of the same bank in the same town can yield greatly different experiences when buying or dumping. It can even vary greatly from different tellers in the same branch.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thripp said:
My typical experience is that it is fairly easy for banks to order coin for me on a weekly basis. I do get cut off at banks occasionally, but there are so many banks I can order from that it's not a big deal.

I usually just ask if they can order the same coins again for me next week each time I pick up.

Many banks do not order halves, but you can still get other denominations from them.

I've found that if they say "they don't" they actually do. They just don't want to.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mtk76, it is very common for banks to be unable or unwilling, to order halves, even though they will get you dimes, nickels, cents or quarters with no problem. I think this is mostly because business customers never use halves. As far as getting attitude asking for boxes, this sometimes happens when starting a relationship with a new bank. I have found that the best approach is to start slow and get to know the tellers. Find out which teller is responsible for ordering coin and let her know that you would like one or two boxes every week. Then, after they get to trust that you come in every week, you can increase your volume. Tellers make or break this hobby so get to know them and make them like you. They will hand it over. Good luck.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I have found it's far easier to find banks to order halves than it is finding places to dump them. Yes, some tellers don't like to order, or don't know how, or claim not to. However, next time you're in there talk to a different teller. They may be more experienced, or friendlier, and may help you out. It helps if you know that other branches of the same bank do it; that way, if they tell you they don't do it, you can refer them to such-and-such branch where they've done it before.

If you have a good relationship with the bank, a sit down is probably a great idea. It puts out in the open what you want, and how to make it easiest for them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
What really helped my case was a proposal of marriage to the vault teller. Let me tell you, it worked! Now I have my very own silver-block.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
What really helped my case was a proposal of marriage to the vault teller. Let me tell you, it worked! Now I have my very own silver-block.

Lmao, true, but not all of us are so inclined there Fist. HH, , Maverick.

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote this in another thread... i hope it helps. I don't know how to link it... If someone could explain to me how I would appreciate it. Also what is the "+ sign mean on the bottom right of the post?

There is a way to get what you want from the branches and have them happy to do it. FOSTER GOOD WILL AMD MAKE FRIENDS AND NOT ENEMIES. The first thing I ask a bank when deciding that I am going to dump with them is... I have a business account (which entitles me to dump bags.) do you want them in $500 or $1000? Some want the later because to many bags are bulky. Some want smaller bags bc there are women carrying them and they are too heavy. Second, what day do you have pick ups? I don't want to have my coin sit in your vault and remind you how cumbersome and bothersome dealing with me is... I'm going to dump but make it as painless and seamless as possible. Lerner to differentiate between rules and courtesies. I have banks that call me to tell me that they are getting unexpected pick ups so bring in all the coin you want... In my case $9000 at a time. I ask are you sure? Yes they are sure. Bring them tokens of friendship... I bring them bagels once a week. A $10 bag of bagels has eliminated my dump fees. I'm not promising that will happen with you but if you find out what they need out of this arrangement they will tell you and make it better for everyone overall. One bank told me that filling out the bags info is difficult when it weighs 50 pounds. O.k. I do it before hand so it's less work for them. Wen I walk in they handle loads of bags bc they know I'm trying to save them time and work. The next step in my plan... Customer rolled coin. Most banks need to unroll it and dump into bags. I know modest make sense. Why are they asking you to roll and then dumping. As soon as its in their vault. I have heard its easier to count and make sue that they are getting a right count. For the most part. Oh by the way... X manager. I would like to buy those rolls. I know that they may be wrong... But it'll save your staff time every day unrolling coins. If you cultivate a relationship they will go farther than you can imagine to work with you. I had a situation where I picked up $5000 in customer rolled dimes. When I unrolled them their we're pennies substituted to steal from the bank. They went as far as to split the difference with me on what I claimed was my loss. We instituted a new system for dimes. I bought a couple $10 scales and the tellers weigh $100 batches before they accept them. If the particular batch is way off of what it should be they unroll them. I have helped catch a person trying to steal front the bank. They sat down with me to discuss what I thought would be a good procedure to help with the dimes. I know the I'm all ove true place with this post. What I am trying to say is start off like you would any relationship and build. Hopefully you'll find you've made some friends along the way. If anyone has any ideas or questions please feel to pm me. I'm not saying I am a pro at this but there are definitely ways to insert yourself into their procedures and systems.
When your new to CRH you may not be thinking in this mind set. Try to quickly put yourself in their shoes. That's what I was fortunate to learn from certain websites and forum online when I started. Pay it forward. Help the new people play the game so they can spread the good word that the crazy guys that pick up tons of boxes are actually good guys and can be helpful. One last tangent. There ismambranch that I deal with that is all women (for the record... Don't hit on them. Keep work and business seperate) I heard that their rolling cart had broken and as a result they were using a rolling chair to move bags from the vault thru the bank. Harbor freight has flatbed dollies for 25$ I dropped one off so they know whenever I show up they have a safe way to put my bags in the vault. I'm not tooting my own horn here. I am shaing ways you can become part of their daily routine. O.k. That's enough for now :-)

Last edited:

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She tricked you man, whats yours is hers and what is hers is hers.She is letting you think its yours.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I wrote this in another thread... i hope it helps. I don't know how to link it... If someone could explain to me how I would appreciate it. Also what is the "+ sign mean on the bottom right of the post?

You would have to copy the link onto a new post. What do you mean by the plus sign?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread