Best pocket change finds?

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
^ Nice coin :) should put that in a 2x2
My best find was the FIRST TIME i CRH'd
I checked my piggy bank and found a silver dime.

FCLEF

Mar 12, 2010
1. 1913S Wheatie F+ - liqour store
2. two 64'quarters (same store,about 6mo. later)
3. several silver rosies from change jars,grocery self-check,music store.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started checking my pocket change in the mid 90's. Have come up with quite a few silver washington's and rosies. My best find was an indian head cent from a gas station where my girlfriend worked at the time. I showed it to her and she told me a little boy had been in that day, bought a candy bar and a soda with all change, mostly cents. She said some of the coins looked a little different but she didn't pay attention to them because it was taking forever to count all the pennies. It was WAY to late to see if anything else was in the till worth keeping.

As a side note, in the 90's, canadian coins were almost worthless and I would throw them in a coffee can when I ended up with any. When the can was full, a friend was looking at it and asked what I was going to do with it. I told him he could just have it. I never checked for silver or even thought that someday the exchange rate would get better. I would love to get that coffee can of canadian coins back!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We were on the sailboat tied up to a mooring ball in Fort Myers Beach for a few days. We went ashore to do a little shopping under the big bridge where they had an open air seafood market. We purchased some smoked mullet from a vendor and the change went into my pocket. When we got back on the boat I tossed the change into a radio holder mounted on the nav station. I glanced at the canadian penny as the change went in. Those crazy Canadian's eh~

Anyhow, when we got home I pulled the change out of the radio holder and went to toss the Canadian penny into the pile of foreign coins when I noticed- much to my surprise...

Penny1.JPG penny2.JPG

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week a $2 Silver certificate at a Target,the checker asked if I wanted a $2 bill back in change so I said sure. :laughing7:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About ten years ago I stopped at one of those service stations that closes for the night but let's people swipe their card for filling up. I went to the Coke machine and bought a canned Coke for 80 cents. I put a buck in and got two silver dimes back. I bought another, then another. I wound up buying 18 sodas before I got a clad back. I bought two more to be sure, but no more silver. I had two Merc's and the rest Roosevelt, all pre '64. I figured that a roll of silver dimes got put in the machine by mistake. That plus I had a few weeks worth of sodas! That was in Shreveport, Louisiana.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A silver proof Arizona State quarter that I sniped out of a register.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
About ten years ago I stopped at one of those service stations that closes for the night but let's people swipe their card for filling up. I went to the Coke machine and bought a canned Coke for 80 cents. I put a buck in and got two silver dimes back. I bought another, then another. I wound up buying 18 sodas before I got a clad back. I bought two more to be sure, but no more silver. I had two Merc's and the rest Roosevelt, all pre '64. I figured that a roll of silver dimes got put in the machine by mistake. That plus I had a few weeks worth of sodas! That was in Shreveport, Louisiana.

I would have just put clad and marked every clad until I cycled through all the coins and got the first one marked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread