6 boxes, no silver-- but did find this strange Kennedy

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just started CRHing halves a few weeks ago. Have pulled 14 silver from 21 boxes thus far (including a 1943 Walker and a '69-S proof). Most recent batch of 6 boxes yielded nada in the way of silver, but I did get this strange misaligned Kennedy. Was wondering if these types of errors were uncommon, and, of course, whether this would be worth anything more than face. Thanks in advance for the input.

3.JPG

5.JPG

Upvote 0

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep it. I have a small stack of error coins. If nothing else, it's worth face value. But I would guess its worth a little more than that. I'm sure someone else would be able to give a good estimate. Nice find though!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Is it a magician's coin? Can you, if you wet your finger a little and get a good grip,m turn the back and twist it in the rotation? Looks like the bottom is a little worn, lik eit could be. Also, drop it and see if it sounds like other coins. If it thuds instead of ringing, it is a magician's coin. :-) If it thuds, then take it tand throw it on a hard surfave, like tile or concrete, very hard, and see if yoiu can pop it open. You'll see what it looks like then. :-)

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would keep it. I have a small stack of error coins. If nothing else, it's worth face value. But I would guess its worth a little more than that. I'm sure someone else would be able to give a good estimate. Nice find though!

Thanks, CladSmoke! Will set this one aside and see what others think. To me, the symmetry of the crescent over the bust almost looks like it was intentional. I'm sure that wasn't, but it is pretty neat nonetheless!

BTW, I live in Ohio as well (Columbus).

Happy Hunting!

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it a magician's coin? Can you, if you wet your finger a little and get a good grip,m turn the back and twist it in the rotation? Looks like the bottom is a little worn, lik eit could be. Also, drop it and see if it sounds like other coins. If it thuds instead of ringing, it is a magician's coin. :-) If it thuds, then take it tand throw it on a hard surfave, like tile or concrete, very hard, and see if yoiu can pop it open. You'll see what it looks like then. :-)

Just tried your recommendation to see if its a magicians' coin.... it doesn't seem to be. It rings like a normal half when dropped, and I can't see any way to open it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a misaligned die. Unless some of the detail is missing on the bottom there is no premium. I myself would keep it just because it looks borderline.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a misaligned die. Unless some of the detail is missing on the bottom there is no premium. I myself would keep it just because it looks borderline.
HH
enamel7

Thanks, Enamel7. I can see what you mean about it being "borderline"... no complete missing detail, but since the bottom portions of the date are missing (particularrly the bottom portion of the "1", the tail of the "9" and the bottom loop of the first "8") I will take it to a dealer to see what they think.

HH!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"offset" strikes sell on ebay for a good premium, especially one that far off. I Bet you could pull in $10-15 for that one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread