maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So, we all know that finding Quarters in the wild is nearly impossible, ( and I don't have time to become a member of the elite club of finding 1 in a box after searching umpteen boxes, lol) so i have decided to start buying at least 2 Silver Quarters a week for now on from my LCS. I would like to have a nice little pile of them and really don't know of another way to acquire them other than trying to buy them. I'm just looking to get them for junk Silver price, no Numismatic valued ones. Does anybody else here buy any every week or 2 also or every now and then? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought about just buying some here and there just to have some. HH, maverick.

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, we all know that finding Quarters in the wild is nearly impossible, ( and I don't have time to become a member of the elite club of finding 1 in a box after searching umpteen boxes, lol) so i have decided to start buying at least 2 Silver Quarters a week for now on from my LCS. I would like to have a nice little pile of them and really don't know of another way to acquire them other than trying to buy them. I'm just looking to get them for junk Silver price, no Numismatic valued ones. Does anybody else here buy any every week or 2 also or every now and then? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought about just buying some here and there just to have some. HH, maverick.

I was literally thinking about this the other day... They would go perfect next to my halves and dimes..:laughing7:

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was literally thinking about this the other day... They would go perfect next to my halves and dimes..:laughing7:

I knew I couldn't be the only one, lol. I figure if I can do it I'll have a 100 by the end of the year at least, which would look really cool in my collection, it sucks having to buy them, but how the heck else are we going to get a decent amount accumulated right?

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know how old you are, but if you have not already, ask your older relatives. A lot of people saved quarters and only quarters back when they stopped making silver coins. Also they were very heavily circulated and easily noticeable so people saved them. My father gave me a small box that had what he said were all silver quarters. After sorting them out there was 110 washingtons and 1 standing liberty along with 30$ in clad. Besides that i sometimes sell stuff on ebay , and when i do i will buy a quarters. I love quarters and if i buy silver i buy them.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont know how old you are, but if you have not already, ask your older relatives. A lot of people saved quarters and only quarters back when they stopped making silver coins. Also they were very heavily circulated and easily noticeable so people saved them. My father gave me a small box that had what he said were all silver quarters. After sorting them out there was 110 washingtons and 1 standing liberty along with 30$ in clad. Besides that i sometimes sell stuff on ebay , and when i do i will buy a quarters. I love quarters and if i buy silver i buy them.

Lol, I would be considered one of the older relatives I think, I'm 41. None of my family members really collected, my mother and father watch me hunt when they come over to see my kids and my dad says he wish he had known about this many years ago, he would have been doing it too. HH, maverick.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I got lucky and found a 1943 Washington Quarter in the first box I searched last summer. The next week I picked up another box which turned out to be a skunk, except for a clad Balboa, so I turned my attention back to other things like dimes and nickels. Sometimes I'll still pick up CWR of quarters hoping to get that one solid roll. Over the last couple of months I've bought two solid rolls of silver quarters from bank tellers. I paid just a tad below melt value, which I thought was fair.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
41, Got any silver quarters?:laughing7:

LOL. I will by the end of the year, right now only 10 in my collection I think. HH, Maverick.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a little country pawn shop that if I hit it just right I can unload a bunch of Ikes for a quarters. Normally I can get a quarter to an Ike or Ike and a half ( I always go in with 5-6 Ikes). Been working that deal for almost a year now. He must be getting the stuff cheap off the locals, because I have gotten some really good under spot deals with him. Next time I go, i plan on taking 4 proof Ikes and see what really good deals I can get.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only scored 3 quarters... 1 from metal detecting.. 1 from a TD reject score.... 1 in pocket change.. I have quarter sized bullion, but i would love to add actual washingtons to the mix.. Maybe I will pick this idea up too.. It isn't that much to spend per week..

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a little country pawn shop that if I hit it just right I can unload a bunch of Ikes for a quarters. Normally I can get a quarter to an Ike or Ike and a half ( I always go in with 5-6 Ikes). Been working that deal for almost a year now. He must be getting the stuff cheap off the locals, because I have gotten some really good under spot deals with him. Next time I go, i plan on taking 4 proof Ikes and see what really good deals I can get.

Hey Wilmington, I would love to be able to do that, I find Ikes all the time, but can't seem to get anything above face for them, yet when I see them for sale at some LCS they are anywhere from3 to 10 dollars a peice. I guess I'll talk with the local LCS that I have friended recently and see what I can work out. Good idea there!

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only scored 3 quarters... 1 from metal detecting.. 1 from a TD reject score.... 1 in pocket change.. I have quarter sized bullion, but i would love to add actual washingtons to the mix.. Maybe I will pick this idea up too.. It isn't that much to spend per week..

Thats kinda what I thought too, it's only what, 10=12 bucks a week, hopefully 10, i have purchased some for 4.50 each a while back from a local shop, one was a 32 that is in a 2x2 right now. going to start this up this week I hope. Going to take my son the lcs later this week to look around.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The LCS probably won't be able to help you because they probably know that you can still get them easily. It is just that this pawn shop really is a tiny small town place that I just stumbled upon while trolling banks one day. I went in and asked to look at their couple of coins they had in the case, bought one, and talked to them about what I was looking for. Next time I went in (about 3 weeks later) they had a case full of stuff I had told them about. I can only imagine that they are getting it really cheap there. Probably 4 quarters to an Ike. They always seem to sell the Ikes I bring them too. My suggestion would be to start looking for those pawn shops in the small towns you hit while teller trolling.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried trading halves for quarters? I bet some cool dealers will just trade you straight across 2 Washingtons for 1 Ken if you ask. They are worth the same. Buy something from them & at the register just ask.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried trading halves for quarters? I bet some cool dealers will just trade you straight across 2 Washingtons for 1 Ken if you ask. They are worth the same. Buy something from them & at the register just ask.

Thats a good idea too BB! I have just started thinking about doing this, so I haven't explored all my avenues yet, but I will definetly ask, getting the quarters for the dollar I spent to get the 2 90's is definetly a good trade for me. HH, Maverick.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to buy a few junk coins when I am at the LCS.

Problem is I dont have one closer than an hour away.

I've only started to roll hunt and only have a couple 64's and no bens or walkers yet so I've been mainly buying them although I have picked up a few quarters.

It would be a good way to trade up the 40percent if they would offer a fair trade.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally buy two to four quarters a week or so. Depending on the price of silver I have gotten them for between 4.50 to 6 bucks apeice. If I am buying a lot, they will throw in an extra dime or shave some dollars off so I can get another quarter. My best score was when some guy turned in 11.70 worth of silver through the coinstar. Since I used my mom's money to buy it, I gave it to her. She's not much into coins or silver but it makes me feel better knowing she's got something for when the shoot hits the fan. Every time I go past my LCS sources I will stop and buy about 20 dollars worth of junk silver. Normally thats a half dollar and two quarters. Right now I am talking to them about saving any none-numistic war nickels they find and I will buy them from them at a dollar apeice.

Hope that helps,
Garoulady

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of a couple other forums where trading and buying a few coins at a time is happening all the time. I would have no problem supplying a few coins a week to whoever wanted to build up a hoard like that. Sometimes I ant to buy mercury dimes to search thru... Dutch shipping for the coins and ill trade you them for Rosie's. think outside the box. I don't mean to preach.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Try dirtfishing them! I've dug dozens of silver Washingtons, over half dozen barbers, half dozen SLQ's, and a seated. If I can do it anyone can.
I also buy a couple rolls worth of silver Washingtons each year, because they arent easy to find in rolls. Good luck.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up to thirteen silver quarters, all from reject or teller's trays.

I consider myself very lucky in that regard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread