Canadian coins

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with another bank. I normally search a small city and there are 5 or 6 that have the foreign currency exchange signs on their front doors. I am sure that even in the smallest town, there is at least one that will exchange it.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far from canada are you?

I'm about 60 miles away and we get it all the time in our every day change. I spend it at a store like its american.

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 200 miles. I don't have nearly enough to make that trip worthwhile!! We don't get alot here. The 2 local banks won't accept it, so stores try not to accept it either.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
shouldn't matter. Anything up to a quarter canadian spends exactly like an american one. If you have a lot of toonies or loonies, (ie 2 dollar and 1 dollar coins) then you definitely will have to go to a currency exchange. As for canadian pennies, save them because they are 99% copper and now that canada is melting them down, I think you can also, or at least sell them for copper prices. Check your stash for pre 1964ish (forgot the dates exactly) because quarters and dimes can be 50 to 80% silver and silver in any language is a good thing. Check coinflation.com for exact dates.

Sincerely, Garoulady

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I just use the coins when I go to Canada. I don't use the money to finance my trip, but just use them on vacation/visiting family. I live 7 hours from Canada. If you don't like that option, mail them to Samsom Coin Exchange (Google them).

Last edited:

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skeeterd, I spend it at the local stores.

I get change back from them in Canadian so you bet I'm going to give it back to them when the opportunity arises.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Canadian quarters work in the newspaper machines. Also j.p. Morgan/chase bank takes em here even exchange in Michigan

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have almost $100 FV in canadian. Hoping to find an exchange.

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got $22 worth. I've already checked for silver, but didn't know the pennies were copper. I'll pull them out too. I only have two banks in my small town and they exchange currency but not coins. (I'm not sure why). Theres a bigger town about a eighty miles from here. Next time I'm there, I'll check the banks. Thanks for the advice!
Skeeter

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i put all my Canadian coins in a jar and when i go to Canada i spend them...... And if i have any Canadian money left before i come back to the states. ...... I cash it in at a bank in Canada....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread