Well I am an idiot.

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I had a monumentally stupid moment the yesterday. I was out looking for banks I hadn't hit up yet and there was one across from the bank I dumped my halves at last week. For some reason I went into that bank and asked for halves, they said a guy just brought some in and this should have set off an alarm in my brain because it was the exact amount I had just deposited across the street. Asked for $120 in halves(all i had on me thankfully) and was presented with all rolls I had just gotten rid of(I know because I marked the wrappers). :BangHead:

While I'm here posting I guess I'll ask for some help on another issue. My main bank(PNC) told me they could only order halves in $1000 boxes(maybe bags I don't remember exactly what she said to me) which is a problem for me since my wife won't let me have more than $500 outside of our account at a time. Guess I'll have to open up an account at another bank if I'm going to order any, unless this is just a branch specific issue. Anyone know what banks will order $500 boxes? I've got Chase, Keybank, 5/3rd, Huntington and some local kinds of banks around. Welp guess I've got some shopping around to do to find another bank to have an account at.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not an idiot. It happens. If you both hunt and dump in the same town, and by all means most of us do, you will occasionally pick up your own dumps.

Count Skrule

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank said I had to order a min. of $1000 for them to order for me(2 $500 boxes.).

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
While I'm here posting I guess I'll ask for some help on another issue. My main bank(PNC) told me they could only order halves in $1000 boxes(maybe bags I don't remember exactly what she said to me) which is a problem for me since my wife won't let me have more than $500 outside of our account at a time.

Some banks need a minimum of $1000 order to make it worth while. I guess its time you take off the dress and throw on those pants in the relationship :D

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
giniro said:
While I'm here posting I guess I'll ask for some help on another issue. My main bank(PNC) told me they could only order halves in $1000 boxes(maybe bags I don't remember exactly what she said to me) which is a problem for me since my wife won't let me have more than $500 outside of our account at a time. Guess I'll have to open up an account at another bank if I'm going to order any, unless this is just a branch specific issue. Anyone know what banks will order $500 boxes? I've got Chase, Keybank, 5/3rd, Huntington and some local kinds of banks around. Welp guess I've got some shopping around to do to find another bank to have an account at.

When I was setting up my pickup banks last month several that had never ordered halves before told me they were $1000 boxes, so I ordered in $1K increments but they always come in $500 boxes. 5/3 and PNC in my area say they can't order halves.

I order from Chase and BoA in several different quantities, but I'd recommend going to a smaller branch since they would have a smaller vault. One small Chase branch orders for someone else, and only will order a max of 2 boxes for me since they say they don't have much vault space. (For comparison a couple of other Chase branches will order up to 8 boxes for me, and one BoA orders 10.)

If they insist that they are $1000 boxes it is either the minimum amount to order, in $1000 bags, or they are confusing them with the dollar coins. I don't have experience with the other banks you mentioned. A suggestion for the two I deal with would be to say your friend in another state said he orders $500 boxes, and politely ask if they could call their coin service to see if they have the $500 boxes.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
doing the $1000 min order cuts out te small timers

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
"which is a problem for me since my wife won't let me have more than $500 outside of our account at a time."

Sorry to hear that, dude. This hobby is difficult to do when there is not a lot of discretionary money to use...or when spouses don't quite have the same level of interest and thus put a damper on our hunting efforts. But I understand the reasons why. Hopefully couples can have a healthy balance between what the CRH'er wants to do vs. the "limits" of an uninterested spouse :-\

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Good story. I did exactly the same thing a couple years ago but it was with $1000 bag. Took me about two handfuls before the lightbulb clicked on.

MU

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
does the wife make you sell all the silver found and turn over the profiets ? ---if not might i recommend selling off oh say $500 worth of silver for matching funds to put with the "allowed"to be taken out $500 to make $1000 avialible for your use * does the $500 you take out make its way "back into" your bank account? --if ts a steady drain of cash with the money not going back into the house hold accounts at sometime --wifes will not like it count on it --women tend to be hoarders , they like to pile up cash in bank accounts -- only if they see that your "hobby" is making money will they approve of it , sadly many will then demand that just like their husbands paychecks --that you "turn over" any money made from it , for bill paying and the "house" ( ie her fiscal control) --many women figger that by keeping their "man" fiscally broke that they will not be attractive to money hungry hoochie momma types( since they want you to spend moiney spent on them) and that the men can not go drinking or drugging or otherwize getting into trouble without any spending money --basically not having any cash to spend makes you stay home more or less doing the "honeydew" list .--plus they like to spend all the cash the way they see fit --it is both a control and trust issue.

I'm lucky -- I got $500 bucks to start with and hit a nice lick -- I went and sold the silver and made $100 and handed the $500 in cash back to her --showing her it could "make" money with no risk of capital --- seeing that she said that I could get the $500 at anytime I needed it out of the bank to buy coins with , so long as I put back the starter cash ($500) at the end of the deal -- so I worked my way up by buying halves and culling and selling my silver finds until I no longer "needed" to use any "household money "* --I now had my "own" $1000 that was "mine" that I earned solely from my own work to operate with--my wife saw it was turning a profiet and was proud of my "hustling" and would help search rolls with me that i got -- she likes it now as much as me.

sadly the local banks have all started running dry of silver -- no silver in any of the halfs for the last six months --the only silver found lately has been a few customer wrapped rolls or loose teller tray coins -- I think the coin suppliers (armored car services) are culling the silver these days --the change is night and day differant now than from before.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread