Coin Counter--Reject Silver

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
What are people's experience with the auto coin counters that reject silver? Here is my story.

A credit union use to allow to buy bags off the machine so before I did, I sacrificed a silver Rosie to see if it rejected it or accepted it. Was not going to buy the bags if it sent it to reject tray. It accepted it and so for a few months, I bought bags and had decent results.

Fast forward and now they no longer will sell me bags so I turned it to a dump bank. Since then, I have found a 40% and several Rosie's in reject tray as well as one teller saying a older lady brought up a handful if silver dimes she said were continually being rejected.

This particular counter seems to accept and reject them depending on the day. What are others experience with this? I have read numerous posts that coinstar rejects silver.

MU

Upvote 0

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find silver all the freakin' time in TD bank reject trays. Amounts to anywhere from a few grams to half an ounce a week. In fact, I've found more silver in reject trays than I have in boxes so far this year.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience has been that TD rejects silver, but I'm not about to test it with my silver. My only silver reject tray finds have been at TD.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found more rejects from the penny arcade at TD than any other.. Even with other machines that are known to reject silver, I have found that they will not always do it and some may slip through the cracks..

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know where you all live but the TD banks near me never reject silver. I've been allowed to swap out clad halves for 40% halves that I spied sitting in the halves bag. I usually just get a bunch of foreign coins and I did find that 22 carat gold ring in a TD Penny Arcade.

The coin star machines at the grocery stores near me spit out silver. So far I've found one silver roosie and a war nickel.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have any TD banks in my area. There are only a few banks that do have coin counters in the lobby instead of behind the counter, and I haven't found anything yet. I do plan on visiting those banks more in the coming weeks because they are great dump banks that I haven't utilized to this point.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
My TD Bank coin couting machine rejects silver - i recently found 2 silver dimes in a reject tray w/ 20$ clad too :) last year i found a couple of silver dimes and 1 silver quarter

CherryPickinTeller

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at TD. We have two penny arcade machines. Both accept silver dimes, nickels and halves. However only one of the machine accepts quarters and the other one rejects it. Ive found over 150 quarters that been rejected from one of the machines

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic comes up all the time and I give my take again... Just like the machine rejects damaged and worn down coins, they sometime (but not always) will reject silver. 9 times out of 10 silver coins (dimes, quarters halves, and nickels) are much older than most coins in coins in circulation. As such, on the whole, they are much more worn and likely to seem "different" to the sorting mechanism in the machine. Just like the machine will reject a really worn 2010 dime, it'll reject a silver dime that will, on average, be just as worn. So, in conclusion, the machines at TD will sometimes reject and sometimes accept. Simple solution? DO NOT use the machine to sort. DO check the reject tray and ask the tellers if you can check the tube. For the last time, there is no yes it does accept or no it doesn't accept answer. The answer is it does both accept and reject silver. You best option is to always check for reject.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I want to open an arcade just so i can swipe the silver that ends up there.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every now and then I show up to my dump banks and the gentleman who works on the coin machine is there. We talk periodically and he told me that this machine can be programmed to reject silver. I think it is really easy to do.

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't realize TD was the name of the bank. We don't have those in Utah. I thought it was short for some specific type of bank.

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
This topic comes up all the time and I give my take again... Just like the machine rejects damaged and worn down coins, they sometime (but not always) will reject silver. 9 times out of 10 silver coins (dimes, quarters halves, and nickels) are much older than most coins in coins in circulation. As such, on the whole, they are much more worn and likely to seem "different" to the sorting mechanism in the machine. Just like the machine will reject a really worn 2010 dime, it'll reject a silver dime that will, on average, be just as worn. So, in conclusion, the machines at TD will sometimes reject and sometimes accept. Simple solution? DO NOT use the machine to sort. DO check the reject tray and ask the tellers if you can check the tube. For the last time, there is no yes it does accept or no it doesn't accept answer. The answer is it does both accept and reject silver. You best option is to always check for reject.

What do you mean ask to check the tube?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been roll hunting steadily for five years, have dumped easily a hundred grand in coin through counters, and have never once found a silver reject.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smitty58d said:
Every now and then I show up to my dump banks and the gentleman who works on the coin machine is there. We talk periodically and he told me that this machine can be programmed to reject silver. I think it is really easy to do.

What would be the upside of that? What good would it do the bank to have a machine that rejected coins? Think he was just lying to you or spreading misinformation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread