My first Box

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday or Tuesday my first box of half dollars arrives at the local Wells Fargo.
My favorite teller is always happy to help me and give me rolls of coins so today I decided to discuss how she would go about getting me boxes and how I can return them after going through them. She happens to be a big stamp collector and I just inherited a large cache of them from my late step dad, I invited her over for super bowl weekend so I can show them to her.
back to the coins, she said they should be rolled up and in or out of the box is fine, just tell her how much is missing when I do return them. Wait 2 weeks before ordering the same coins or I might get the same rolls back was another clue she gave me. I may just mark them with little pimples to I know I been through them. I can probably alternate between quarters, half dollars, Dollars, Nickles? What other boxed shall I order and go through?

Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My local WF branches receive them in $500 bags & not boxes. I would highly recommend returning them to a different bank with a different supplier. From what I've seen in another city WF appears to use Brinks, which uses the square boxes. I would return them to a Loomis or Garda that uses the flat rectangular boxes. That way it is HIGHLY unlikely that you would be searching the same coins over and over again.

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tip FloridaFinder! Thanks, I am a total newbie on coins but i know how to spot a silver coin.
Now tht you mentioned dropping them off at another bank I will drop them along my 120 mile route that I take twice a week. Get them rolls far away!
Now if I could find the 100 lbs of silver coins in a 5 gal water bottle my family collected when we owned a liquor store in the 80's. I suspect they were stolen or lost in one of our 8 moves. I had 9 oz 24K gold rings and some silver jewelry that got lost or stolen by the movers. This was when silver was dirt cheap and gold was about 300-380 a oz if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaking the first cardinal rule. Don't dump where you buy from. She might be okay with it, but the manager will not. Please read the beginner's guide.
HH
enamel7

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, definitely drop at a different bank/branch. Don't wear out your welcome with your favorite teller...

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
For the stamps, are they US? If so, you are in luck as you would only need one Scott book. They go for about $10-$20 used on Amazon. The Scott book is like the Red Book of stamps. You would need the US/A-B book. If they are foreign, you may need multiple volumes.

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaking the first cardinal rule. Don't dump where you buy from. She might be okay with it, but the manager will not. Please read the beginner's guide.
HH
enamel7

Thanks I need to go through it again!

yes, definitely drop at a different bank/branch. Don't wear out your welcome with your favorite teller...

Yea even the managers love my mom. I won't drop them off at the same bank for sure but I know they would not mind at all. They get a weekly travelers pack of starbucks from me =D

For the stamps, are they US? If so, you are in luck as you would only need one Scott book. They go for about $10-$20 used on Amazon. The Scott book is like the Red Book of stamps. You would need the US/A-B book. If they are foreign, you may need multiple volumes.

Funny you mention that,The teller coming over for super bowl weekend showed me her stamp book while i was talking to her about coins.
There is probably more money in coins so I may just give her some stamps to cheer her up more.

Promise I won't return the coins at the same bank, there will probably be about 120 miles between them.
I'll post up pics, I'm picking them up Saturday morning.

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here is my first box of Half dollars,
ResizedImage_1359778146230.jpg

ResizedImage_1359778170746.jpg

upon taking the first roll apart I found 2 gold-ish looking P coins and 2 other P stamp halves.
ResizedImage_1359778110570.jpg

Then my mom brought all the coins!

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1359781472412.jpg
    ResizedImage_1359781472412.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 133
  • lightbox_progress.gif
    lightbox_progress.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after going through the box I caught 2 silvers, a gold plated one and one really nice shiny one. Not bad for my first box.My teller was over checking out my stamp collection and we talked about coin boxes. She told me if the local Sacramento vault is out of coins they get it from the vault in SF I used to work at. so even if I drop it off anywhere between my trip, she said it might be the same box so give it about 1 week before getting the same denominations Next week will be another box of halves and dimes and quarters. I am not sure how it goes but I'm going to keep this up weekly now.
ResizedImage_1360012346436.jpg ResizedImage_1360012363841.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions