Silver and broke my oldest coin record...by 25 years.

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I went to a few banks today getting half dollars. I probably went through 300 in half dollars total from a few different banks, I ended up getting 4 40%ers. I switched it up mid day and started getting quarters and dimes. I found my first silver quarter in a roll (I've found others in coinstar reject trays a 1949 no mint washington. Decided to switch at the last bank and do dimes. I found a single 1953s mint. So not a bad day for silver, but what I found in the trash next to a coin counter takes the cake. I don't search penny rolls that often but I love indian heads and flying eagles. Right around the time I switched from half dollars to quarters I walked into a credit union which a coin counter inside (which is pretty rare for my area). I look in the reject bins and don't find anything. I go to throw something away and see a couple coins sitting on the top. Normally I don't dig through the trash, but looking back up at me from the trash bucket was an 1858 flying eagle cent. It is pretty beat to hell, but I don't mind. I love these things. I didn't own any until now, and I got it for free. As the old saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Attachments

• 20130125_183124.jpg
    20130125_183124.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20130125_184838.jpg
    20130125_184838.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
1) That is pretty sweet! 2) I would really appreciate it if you could detail on how to go about checking coin star rejects.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
1) That is pretty sweet! 2) I would really appreciate it if you could detail on how to go about checking coin star rejects.

Thanks, and really all you have to do is walk up to the coin machine, they usually have a little tray near the bottom where the coins that aren't the right size, shape, or weight are spit out. I'm guessing since the flying eagle cent is so beat up that it was rejected and someone threw it away thinking it was foreign or something like that.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been called a "Dumpster Diver" at work for 40 years but at Fort Wood there were dead soldiers in there "medical holdovers" makes you feel weird, but they were the MIAs and POWs and in Missouri 1970. I knew they lost control when they trashed the CO's corvette and shot it full of holes.:hello2:

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been called a "Dumpster Diver" at work for 40 years but at Fort Wood there were dead soldiers in there "medical holdovers" makes you feel weird, but they were the MIAs and POWs and in Missouri 1970. I knew they lost control when they trashed the CO's corvette and shot it full of holes.:hello2:

:icon_scratch::dontknow:

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice i would have searched the hole can if that was sitting on top!

Sonny01

Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a Canadian coin stuck in the Cummings counter and the teller plucked it out, looked at it and threw it away... I plucked it back! A few days later I looked in the trash can and there was a whole handful of Canadian and foreign coins so I plucked them too!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait, what?

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as that coin is not improperly cleaned its valued at at least 10$ I got one in worse shape that someone polished for a Buck but had lost all numismatic value due to improper cleaning.
That is all.
~Thorne~

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as that coin is not improperly cleaned its valued at at least 10$ I got one in worse shape that someone polished for a Buck but had lost all numismatic value due to improper cleaning.
That is all.
~Thorne~

Really? The back of the coin is even worse than the front. Either way, I don't think I would sell it (unless maybe it was a 1856 haha) flying eagles are my favorite penny design.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score Red! HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread