silver hunters - How many boxes of consecutive skunks before you give it up?

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the high volume hunters and the cash management/transport companies removing silver from the market it is only a matter of time before there is almost no silver left.

How many boxes of skunks in a row will it take for you to give it up? 50 boxes? 100 boxes? 1000 boxes?

Or would you just change over to pennies or something to date search?

V

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you propose your question to 'Silver Hunters' so why would they search cents?

If all the silver is gone, the question is do you still CRH. The only hunting to be had would be dates.
V

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter how many skunks, if the hunt is what you want.... The chance at a big score keeps you going after the first year... IMO

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not tell you until all the silver is gone.
It is going to be hard to figure out exactly when that would take place.
What I can say is that as of right now it has not happened.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
My longest skunk do far was 27 boxes, I didn't think about giving up, a 100, I might consider giving it a break for a while, searching and dumping that amount for me would be too much money and time lost! Lately though it has slowed wast down, seems for every find there is going to be a10 to 15 boxes skunk streak for me, kinda beginning to not be worth the time and gas lately, we will see. HH, Maverick.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you mean by, "cash management/transport companies removing silver from the market"?

They are culling silver with machines duh :dontknow:. Someone posted a report a while back and it had one of the carriers selling an obscene amount of silver.

My longest stretch was 11. I cured myself with nickel and quarter boxes until things picked back up. I won't ever stop completely. The silver is there and persistence pays off.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a lot of skunks lately but haven't thought about quitting. Instead I have shifted focus and volume to whatever seems to produce the best results. Lately, what that has meant is to focus more on cwr. I pick up weekly box orders and when I'm done with those and want more, I get the cwr. Also been hitting the nicks hard as I've been doing pretty well with the war nicks.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually prefer my boxes to be just like my women.. Nice and skunky...

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably 50 boxes and I would spend my time doing something else instead.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are culling silver with machines duh :dontknow:. Someone posted a report a while back and it had one of the carriers selling an obscene amount of silver.

My longest stretch was 11. I cured myself with nickel and quarter boxes until things picked back up. I won't ever stop completely. The silver is there and persistence pays off.

I thought that report was proven to be bogus, and the member actually got suspended for posting it? I could be wrong.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My largest skunk streak: 54 half dollar boxes over 9 months... I am still crh'ing and won't quit until i have to!
hh
buff

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't a set number of skunk boxes that would cause me to give up CRH. I will give it up if/when it is no longer an enjoyable activity.

OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My largest skunk streak: 54 half dollar boxes over 9 months... I am still crh'ing and won't quit until i have to!
hh
buff

Just wait until Digesting and HalvesPlease's dumps make it to your banks. 8-)

V

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, you propose your question to 'Silver Hunters' so why would they search cents?

If all the silver is gone, the question is do you still CRH. The only hunting to be had would be dates.
V

My point was that you directed your quarry at Silver Hunters. Cents contain no silver. Ergo, why would Silver Hunters search cents?

Your question is based on the assumption that we are only interested in silver. The 'Silver Hunter' is one that is a novice at the game. They have not evolved in their hunting strategy. They are hellbent on turning over their roll as quickly as possible in an effort to cull as many keepers as possible. These same individuals do not realize the unique opportunity that passes through their fingers. Having access to such large volumes in coin is a unique opportunity to search for varieties that are valued at multiples over the current spot price of silver.

OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point was that you directed your quarry at Silver Hunters. Cents contain no silver. Ergo, why would Silver Hunters search cents?

Your question is based on the assumption that we are only interested in silver. The 'Silver Hunter' is one that is a novice at the game. They have not evolved in their hunting strategy. They are hellbent on turning over their roll as quickly as possible in an effort to cull as many keepers as possible. These same individuals do not realize the unique opportunity that passes through their fingers. Having access to such large volumes in coin is a unique opportunity to search for varieties that are valued at multiples over the current spot price of silver.

Again, the point is that the "novices" that like to stack silver would have nothing to search. Logically, if you still want to hunt, you would have to find something else to hunt. Since you can't mechanically sort dates (other than to separate zinc and copper if you really wanted in the case of pennies), date hunting may be the last frontier.

Why do you harbor animosity toward silver hunters? Probably the best investment of your time imo. Look at what Digesting found in a week.

But, waldt.

V

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
103 skunk streak. Still intact. I quit ordering at 98, but hvae had banks five me 5 I didn't order since the, and all skunks. So I'm at 103, but not order ordering boxes. Just CWR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread