CAN/US Citizen Living In Canada: Money Crossing The CAN/US Boarder?

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe as log as it is less then $10000 there is no hassle. Over $10000 you have to fill out paperwork and declare it. This is part of the money laundering laws in the US. They may have changed the limits recently but i am not sure.

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe as log as it is less then $10000 there is no hassle. Over $10000 you have to fill out paperwork and declare it. This is part of the money laundering laws in the US. They may have changed the limits recently but i am not sure.

Thanks for the info. $10,000 that's awesome news to say the least. I figured it would be way less on an amount.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info. $10,000 that's awesome news to say the least. I figured it would be way less on an amount.

Yes, but be wary of cents. The law states that you can't bring more than $5 in cents outside of the border. It's mainly put in place so that copper cents won't get moved to Canada for melting. If you have a sealed box, I think they can tell you are not a hoarder, but a collector.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Bring a bunch of coin books with you, and print out a dozen pages of collectable US/Canadian coins, and be sure to explain you are CENT collector #1 if the cops ask

Last edited:
OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All nickles? Or just certain years? Say if I bought some at a coin show, would there be a restriction on them if they we're war nickles or something? I don't know anything about this sort of thing???

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
All nickles? Or just certain years? Say if I bought some at a coin show, would there be a restriction on them if they we're war nickles or something? I don't know anything about this sort of thing???

Bring a bunch of nickel books with you, and print out a dozen pages of collectable US/Canadian nickels, and be sure to explain you are NICKEL collector #1 if the cops ask.

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info and tips people.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

It's for nickels in general, they are worth more in metal content, so the government doesn't want people to melt them and reduce the amount of nickels in circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread