Just Starting Out...

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I'm just starting out with this and I have a few questions.

1. Is there anything I should be looking for other than pre 1970 dates on the half dollars? What other rarities should I be looking for? Is anything newer than 1970 worth anything? Not in silver value obviously, but some sort of collectors value? Someone said on some site that the Bicentennials are worth $2.50 apiece, but I find that hard to believe because my first $500 box had at least $150 worth in Bicentennials. They're too common to be worth anything unless I got some magically amazing box or something. I'm not sure. I've never used or handled half dollars in my life.

2. How do you check pennies and other non-silver coins? Can you tell by looking at the rims or do you have to look at each one individually?

3. Sort of related to my first question, but I heard that half dollars stopped being made after 2002 except for collectible purposes or something like that. Does this mean anything newer than that is worth something?

Any help would be appreciated guys. I'm sorta confused here and I'd like to start going through things besides just half dollars. I went through my $500 box in about 10 minutes so I want to try a bunch more boxes. But half dollars are too suspicious and heavy. I want something to do while watching TV. LOL.

Upvote 0

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for your first question you can look for error coins after 1970, or look for proof coins with an S mint mark. i dont really look at every coin when doing halves but if i see one with a nice edge ill see if its a proof and some times ill quickly look through some to see if anything looks off where it could be an error. Bicentennials aren't worth more then .50 unless its silver which i hear is pretty rare, ive never come across one but i imagine (someone correct me if im wrong) that they would look like a typical silver coin on its edge.

im not sure about pennies i dont search those.

Ive heard the same thing about the post 2002 coins supposedly not made for circulation... mehhh i dont know about that i see quite a bit, i used to save them but now i just toss them back.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ask me JUST LOOK FOR SILVER!! Unless you want to save worthless clad?? If so you can ask some cald lovers. Good luck

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
1975's are pretty rare too, haven't found one yet. HH, Maverick.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ask me JUST LOOK FOR SILVER!! Unless you want to save worthless clad?? If so you can ask some cald lovers. Good luck

Tim... You do realize some errors hold a higher premium than silver melt don't you?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just look for silver and S mint proofs/business strikes pretty much. I take out the gold colored ones too. I should probably read up on errors... Sometimes I am just edge searching (slicing/taping the roll) so then I can only look for silver.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep all errors. 1970s are also silver (you put pre-1970). For CENTS and nickels, you have to date search. The 2002+ halves are not worth anything yet, but I save them. Bicentennials are worth 50 cents each. That website was Cointrackers, which is horrible for values. Just to clarify, a 1975 half does not exist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread