Lots of driving for very little finds

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I've started the smaller road trips lately hitting banks and credit unions in the various towns out here in Arizona. Every time I head out I drive as much as 100 miles, almost every time finding 1 or 2 loose silver halves along the way. Yesterday was another trip, almost 100 miles and a total of 6 40% coins. I also picked up 20 Ikes but they are just for spending at the various places I go, mostly for tips. Seems less and less silver is out there lately and more and more driving. I hear a lot that collectors are coming in all the time looking for halves from the tellers? Or I had them last week but someone asked and took them all. I won't quit asking but sure seems like a lot of time and effort for slim pickings. Has been at least 20 boxes of skunks, so I thought I'd try driving for a while to see if that was any better. Going to head to a completely different area next week to see if there is anything that way.

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not heard good things about AZ and silver halves. See some older posts by jfr30.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
before you drive to banks, call them and ask them if they have any halves or cwr halves or loose halves - saves teh $$ and time

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, the life if a CRHer, I have had many of those days too. HH, maverick.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(6) 40% is like $24, if you drove 100 miles it probably cost more than that in gas, maintenance, and depreciation. Not to mention your time which is worth at least min. wage. Unless you are just in it for the hunt as a hobby, I would quit or change strategies if you keep getting such bad results.

thing

Aug 8, 2009
(6) 40% is like $24, if you drove 100 miles it probably cost more than that in gas, maintenance, and depreciation. Not to mention your time which is worth at least min. wage. Unless you are just in it for the hunt as a hobby, I would quit or change strategies if you keep getting such bad results.

That is why I believe that just ordering boxes is better then a road trip, i can drive 200 miles and find 4 40% or I can go to the lovcal wellsfargo and get 4 boxes with 4 in them.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do short trips every now and then. I usually just shoot up the highway with a couple hundred bucks and stop at every bank I see. When I stop, I ask for a couple of rolls of dimes from each and then ask for halves. Has worked out okay for me. Comparable averages to getting boxes (if not better). It also diversifies the pool a bit as I'm not constantly calling my pick ups to set up orders. Allows each bank to have a "break" from me and my orders haha

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I also like short road trips, but in to town and around. If I take $2 grand with, guarantee that I will have spent it all on coin (usually cwr dimes)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread