Someones on my territory/Very Small nickel Success

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone's on my territory/Very Small nickel Success

I finally got up and around, biting the pain bullet and drove my mom to get her blood work and we did some minor shopping. Man, talk about pain. I swung around to one of my pickup banks and they didn't have any boxes but they put one together with filled trays. I could tell instantly that 80 dollars of the 100 was either someone's dump or someone's collection. My luck it was all dump. No pre-1960's, no buffs or war nickels until I got to the last 20 dollars. those were plastic machine wrapped. One of the tellers who knows me told me those were the best for searching through. I could have said no thanks but they have been nice to me and I took all of them. the 2nd to last roll gave up one beauty. A 1925 buffalo. Not much but its better than a total skunk.

But I think someone's on my turf. ::growls:: I wouldn't mind that but i really wish they would just me know. If I can see them, then I can stay away from their dumps/pickups and hope they would have the same respect to do the same thing. I am also thinking about going to a nearby credit union and opening a savings account just for CRHing purposes. I am thinking about doing that at other banks but just the idea of keeping them all straight in my head makes me dizzy. Quick question to the more experience CRHers. Have you ever had problems with having numberous bank/credit union accounts? Doesn't the goverment get a red flag when someone opens up like 10 accounts? any help with this would be appreciated.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've wondered the same thing. Would be nice to have an account with a bank for every armoured trucking company. For now I just pick up with brinks and dump with the stribg Co. Also try switching to dimes if you can afford it. Here in Michigan we have a huge silver dime vein. Good luck

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont think banks report accounts open. I currently have something like 5 accounts open. As far as I know, no red flags, all are checking accounts so no interest accrues so no reason for the banks to report interest to the IRS.

The biggest problem I see is making sure to keep each one active so its not shut down. I put in $10-$25 every now and then in each account. I figure that way its extra money in case I need it for emergencies only.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I think someone's on my turf. ::growls:: I wouldn't mind that but i really wish they would just me know. If I can see them, then I can stay away from their dumps/pickups and hope they would have the same respect to do the same thing. I am also thinking about going to a nearby credit union and opening a savings account just for CRHing purposes. I am thinking about doing that at other banks but just the idea of keeping them all straight in my head makes me dizzy. Quick question to the more experience CRHers. Have you ever had problems with having numberous bank/credit union accounts? Doesn't the goverment get a red flag when someone opens up like 10 accounts? any help with this would be appreciated.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

I wish there was only one person in my turf.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about that silver dime vein. I got a box of dimes once and didn't find anything. The only luck I have found with dimes is finding them in coinstars or my cashier till. But I have enough saved up now, I was thinking about getting 2 boxes of dimes and 3 boxes of nickels. I plan on waiting till my back's healed and the weather is nicer. I am not carrying 800 dollars in coinage through feet of snow with a bad back.

I really wish the mods would put a US map that shows what state a person is in. Not necessarily what city or such info but it would be nice to say click on michigan and get a number like there are 20 CRHers in this state or 25 CRHer in the state of california etc etc.

Thanks for the info on banks/CU.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL, no offense, but you don't do nearly enough volume for another CRHer to be concerned about. From your posts, you do about a box every other week or less. Chances are, you are going to be eating someone else's dumps on a regular basis now. If I were you, I would order from your job (Which I know I have recommended before) so you are at least getting clean pick-ups and then dump in the same bank that this other person seems to be doing.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
true. I am thinking about dumping at our coinstar and eat the cost just once so I can have my work order coins on a regular basis. I just wish there was a bank closer to me that had a none-fee coin counter. With the snow, driving 20 miles one way just plain stinks. Just the thought of driving through this snow storm we have going right now makes me wish I could move to north carolina. Near the mountains, Less than a foot of snow a year and summers are in their mid 70's. Only negative in that is there are no jobs there. Bummer.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

Oh PS. I now have enough saved up to do 7 boxes of nickels a week if I wanted to. Or 2 boxes of dimes and 2 boxes of nickels. So If I wanted to I could up my game.

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing my big penny dumps at coinstar I have been taking the no fee Amazon gift certificates. If you need stuff from there anyway its a no brainer and less trouble than always bothering the bank coin machines that fill quicker.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
mtk76 said:
I've been doing my big penny dumps at coinstar I have been taking the no fee Amazon gift certificates. If you need stuff from there anyway its a no brainer and less trouble than always bothering the bank coin machines that fill quicker.

I dump some cent bags every once in awhile at Coinstars and I get them back as Chili's eGift cards.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoops sorry i recently sorted through $500,000,000 in nickels and dimes in grand rapids that might have caused the shortage of finds. Jk i live in indiana and since im a billionaire id order in a much bigger volume ;p

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of using the gift card options from coinstar. I haven't looked at the options lately, but is there an option to apply it to paypal? The reason I ask is because several stores around here have started accepting paypal on their credit card machines. Might open up the options some if it is on coinstar.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true. I am thinking about dumping at our coinstar and eat the cost just once so I can have my work order coins on a regular basis. I just wish there was a bank closer to me that had a none-fee coin counter. With the snow, driving 20 miles one way just plain stinks. Just the thought of driving through this snow storm we have going right now makes me wish I could move to north carolina. Near the mountains, Less than a foot of snow a year and summers are in their mid 70's. Only negative in that is there are no jobs there. Bummer.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

Oh PS. I now have enough saved up to do 7 boxes of nickels a week if I wanted to. Or 2 boxes of dimes and 2 boxes of nickels. So If I wanted to I could up my game.
Summers are sometimes in the low 100s usually in the 90s. thats in Ga.good find on the buff.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually get the amazon giftcard from coinstar but this time I actually want to get the cash. Depending on the weather I might return them to my workplace or I'll take them into town at my credit union. They charge 50 cents for every 100 dollars until 200 dollars where they start charging 2% of the order. But I have returned 200 bucks before and when I went over they charged me 10 dollars. That's way over the 2% they stated before upping their fees. I called them once on it and they said it depended on the teller and the vault manager for the day, whatever that means. Reminds me of teller double-talk.

I am sooo dying to get my income tax returns. I want to get at least a box of halves or several boxes of nickels. I'm going to need a sled to haul all this money through the snow. ugh!

Sincerely, Garoulady

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of using the gift card options from coinstar. I haven't looked at the options lately, but is there an option to apply it to paypal? The reason I ask is because several stores around here have started accepting paypal on their credit card machines. Might open up the options some if it is on coinstar.

You can see what the options are. Just go to the "Find a Coinstar (Machine Locator)" in the top right corner, put your zip code in, then click the "details" under the location you want and it will show you the eGift Card options. None of the ones around me say anything like that; all of my options are like Amazon.com, Chili's, Xbox Live, iTunes, and Starbucks.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got up and around, biting the pain bullet and drove my mom to get her blood work and we did some minor shopping. Man, talk about pain. I swung around to one of my pickup banks and they didn't have any boxes but they put one together with filled trays. I could tell instantly that 80 dollars of the 100 was either someone's dump or someone's collection. My luck it was all dump.

But I think someone's on my turf. ::growls:: I wouldn't mind that but i really wish they would just me know. If I can see them, then I can stay away from their dumps/pickups and hope they would have the same respect to do the same thing.

Garou, probably it was eminem, if you saw a Chrysler 300 anytime recently, it was definitely him. He's been driving around Michigan, the entire state not just the motor city, going crazy when it comes to C/H/R'n. if you run into him, be careful cause he thinks everyone is on HIS turf.
chrysler-eminem-ad.jpg

I am also thinking about going to a nearby credit union and opening a savings account just for CRHing purposes. I am thinking about doing that at other banks but just the idea of keeping them all straight in my head makes me dizzy. Quick question to the more experience CRHers. Have you ever had problems with having numberous bank/credit union accounts? Doesn't the goverment get a red flag when someone opens up like 10 accounts? any help with this would be appreciated.

Garou, I have an account with almost 8 banks/CU's, the only thing it does is build up your credit rating. If you are shuffling money in and out in large amounts, between dozens of accounts you'd get flagged, but I don't even think the biggest volume coin roll hunters need worry about this. Especially if you don't have much money in the bank to begin with. Just stick to savings accounts, most of them only require $50 minimum and activity (ANY acitivity, even $0.25) on a 24 month basis before you pay any fee's and the fee's for inactivity. Savings accounts are alot cheaper than the fee's for checking accounts.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Garou, I have an account with almost 8 banks/CU's, the only thing it does is build up your credit rating. If you are shuffling money in and out in large amounts, between dozens of accounts you'd get flagged, but I don't even think the biggest volume coin roll hunters need worry about this. Especially if you don't have much money in the bank to begin with. Just stick to savings accounts, most of them only require $50 minimum and activity (ANY acitivity, even $0.25) on a 24 month basis before you pay any fee's and the fee's for inactivity. Savings accounts are alot cheaper than the fee's for checking accounts.

CRHers who dump more than 10K would be subject to investigation. Search up "Golden Silver" on Tnet and I think he got investigated.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any transaction of $10,000 or more is investigated/or looked at (when they get the time).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread